It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority Of White Americans Say They Face Discrimination

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

White folks are not portrayed as the devil incarnate...

Conservative media pretends they are , but that’s silly because the vast majority of their customers are white.. the people they sell ad time to are white.. most of the reporters are white..

There is a difference between admitting the issues with your society and “demonizing all white people.”

It’s ridiculous.

Congrats on proving the point that several people have pointed out in this thread, you have zero interest in hearing other peoples opinions you just jump right to deflection and dismissal.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

How often have you spent time in a situation where you are a minority?

You'd find out then how often you face discrimination. Just because you may spend most of your time in a situation where you are surrounded by other people like you doesn't mean that discrimination doesn't exist.

Try taking your more left leaning thoughts to a blog where most of the commentators are right leaning. Then you'll really see discrimination. This isn't actually discrimination. This is a more balanced environment where you do see people jumping from on side of an argument to the other depending on the issue we discuss. It's also kept fairly tame by comparison some other playgrounds, left and right.

Most of what drives this is the constant negativity toward everything most people have grown up with.

I'm sorry, but a traditional family structure is not bad, nor is it white.

I'm sorry, but a strong education is not bad, nor is it white (neither are a good grasp of English and math for that matter).

I'm sorry, but someone making a decent living is not bad, nor is it white.

I think we live in a time where people are so convinced they can't do things they see people of other races/ethnicities doing in the name of "diversity" that they feel they need to attempt to reinvent the wheel and zealously guard whatever they perceive as "theirs" to prevent cultural appropriation rather than being proud that something they perceive as theirs is so cool that others want to adopt it and experience it.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'm not accusing them of being dumb. I'm just saying their persecution complex is rather exaggerated and you definitely got into a lot of the reasons why. People just need to take a step back from the conspiracy theory abyss and take a breath of reality air.

Yes this was the point of the thread.

People should avoid a persecution complex.

Of all races.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I quoted you....

If you want to make a rebuttal you should try actually rebutting it by including a counterpoint..

“You never listen to anyone” is not a counterpoint.

You need to actually provide evidence of that such as you said “A” The you sad “B”.

I am always down to have my mind changed.. I’m not religious, but if Jesus shows up tomorrow, I’m converting...

If the fbi comes out tomorrow and says trump is innocent. Russia was just trying to set him up, i will have no problem recanting.

I’m not married to any ideology.

posted on Oct, 31 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

How often have you spent time in a situation where you are a minority?

You'd find out then how often you face discrimination. Just because you may spend most of your time in a situation where you are surrounded by other people like you doesn't mean that discrimination doesn't exist.

Try taking your more left leaning thoughts to a blog where most of the commentators are right leaning. Then you'll really see discrimination. This isn't actually discrimination. This is a more balanced environment where you do see people jumping from on side of an argument to the other depending on the issue we discuss. It's also kept fairly tame by comparison some other playgrounds, left and right.

Most of what drives this is the constant negativity toward everything most people have grown up with.

I'm sorry, but a traditional family structure is not bad, nor is it white.

I'm sorry, but a strong education is not bad, nor is it white (neither are a good grasp of English and math for that matter).

I'm sorry, but someone making a decent living is not bad, nor is it white.

I think we live in a time where people are so convinced they can't do things they see people of other races/ethnicities doing in the name of "diversity" that they feel they need to attempt to reinvent the wheel and zealously guard whatever they perceive as "theirs" to prevent cultural appropriation rather than being proud that something they perceive as theirs is so cool that others want to adopt it and experience it.

Loads...

I’m a white trash kid from Mississippi that grew up in trailer parks and 2 separate all black projects over my adolescence.

I wasn’t a wigger at all, more a loner, but still sold the random pot on the corner here or there and got in plenty of group fights....quite a few we lost.

And yes I’ve been picked on for being the only white kid around.. and had others who had my back when that went to happen too.

Never by an athority... always on the street.

I did however catch an easier time when we were all faced with athority figures though.. did my fair amount of hellraising so had more than my share of police interactions to see. Not too much better like my daddy was rich better, but a noticeable difference.

I had a Hardee’s manager in Vicksburg tell me when I was sixteen that the fact I was white would fast track me and my best friend for management.. neither of us lasted a week, which was very karmatic I thought. Lol

Too be 100% fair I grew up in Mississippi, so my experience might not be the national average, but it is the average for here.

I never said white people are not discriminated against, I said it wasn’t a national epidemic or trend or whatever..

That there are individual cases which are not protected by the 14th amendment. Then the conservative talking head take those cases and pretend it’s an institutional problem.

About the only black on white discrimination I’ve ever witnessed was in the school yard and streets, but those aren’t really a uniquely racial issue. Kids are mean and click up. Remove the other races and they just shift the bullying to one of their own.

I don’t buy the emotional argument, so I don’t care who’s feelings are hurt. Real issues that effect people’s saftey and physical lives are what matter.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Thanks for keeping it real.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

White folks are not portrayed as the devil incarnate...

Conservative media pretends they are , but that’s silly because the vast majority of their customers are white.. the people they sell ad time to are white.. most of the reporters are white..

There is a difference between admitting the issues with your society and “demonizing all white people.”

It’s ridiculous.

here you go skippy..

This is what I was referring to, you did not engage texan at all you went to immediate dismissal of his opinion, you have done that with more than just this example in this thread.

All people have experienced discrimination when none should, yet some people in this thread seem more concerned about skin color than stamping out discrimination.

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Where is your problem with my statement??

Do you not comprehend the difference between individual instances and an institutional problem???

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maroboduus

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
a reply to: Grambler

I can believe it. Known people personally who have experienced discrimination, being white, and have myself as well. For some years now, the trend has been to not only demand more for non-whites, but to also demonize people simply for being white. IN recent years, I have observed race relations become worse than I have ever seen them, in decades. I thought, growing up they'd continue to improve, but the previous administration sure changed that!

if you think race relations have never been worse, you're either incredibly disingenuous or incredibly stupid. Segregation? Jim Crow laws? Etc etc? You don't think that was maybe a little bit worse?

I was personally affected by being bused to a different school, to "desegregate", back in the day. Didn't do anything of the sort, of course. All they did was push some white students into areas that were mostly black, where those students were resented an bullied. First time I saw actual racism, in action, and it wasn't from the white students!

Yes, it's worse now. People re attacked for being white, out on the streets, openly, and often the authorities won't even call it a hate crime, even when the perps are talking about race as they attack. There are blacks on college campuses demanding "no whites" zones, housing, etc. Classes are taught that are blatantly racist against whites. Where were the "blackness" classes in the past, again? Where are you, that you can't see these issues? Yes, it's a LOT worse now, than anything I have seen. That from someone who grew up in the South, too.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: DanDanDat

I think the amount of discrimination and type of it is likely to be dependent on where you are in the country as much as anything else along with what you are doing.

Try being on a team sport and being discriminatory. If you are, if your team operates that way, you won't be very successful for very long as you go up in levels. You quickly learn that in order to keep winning, you have to be willing to play the best or at least the combination of the best players who work best together. Try discriminating based on race and you're overlooking potential talent no matter which race we're talking about.

The military is another place that isn't supposed to support that kind of attitude for long.

Various regions of the country have different levels and types of discrimination or prevalence of it.

I think it gets hard to just point a finger and say X is racist or discriminatory while Y is not.

The military isn't supposed to work that way, but I have to tell you, it sometimes does. The hubby was in for more than twenty-five years before retiring, and we saw some of that in the later half of his time in. We saw guys who committed armed robbery, and got a slap on the wrist. All black. The 1SG who was likely the ringleader for that, according to a LOT of rumors, was also black. And, yeah, I could believe the rumors; he was not an honest guy at all. We saw cases of black guys starting a fight, a white guy defending himself, and guess who got into trouble? The white guy, of course. Promotions frequently showed the same favoritism, raced-based. Wasn't always that way, but has been for some years now.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

You missed the one where he defended the black professor who screamed at police, when they asked for his ID because he was breaking into his own home, having locked himself out.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

Can you give us, lets say, the top five obstacles? I think it is important to put some clarification on what is unique to only minorities in holding them back.

So you don't think there are any obstacles if you are a minority?[/quote]

No, these days, being non-white means you get preferential treatment.

I mean, I guess aside from getting loans, jobs, a competitive salary, equal treatment where any choice is made between a minority and a non-minority, treatment by police, and so on.. there isn't MUCH of a different.

List real cases of these things. Proven cases, not anecdotes. No one is denied a loan based on skin color, or salary equal to other employees of the same company, and as far as equal treatment in a case where the choice is made between a white and a non-white? The non-white virtually always is chosen, for some quota or another, or to not be perceived as being racist. Many have provided examples of this from their own lives. Ever heard of Affirmative Action?

How about taking some time to read some studies. For example.. average household salary of blacks to whites.. or Hispanics to whites. Or even getting into college so you can get a job to give you a better salary. If white, do you fear that if you are walking alone at night you will get stopped by police solely because you are white? And there a lot of little things you probably never notice. Things like where you might be seated in a restaurant or how quickly you are served, being unable to get a taxi because you are ignored if you are a single black guy trying to hail one down (after all.. he might rob the taxi driver!), etc.

Average salaries are not indications of discrimination; they are indications of how hard someone is willing to work. Getting into college? Standards are lower for non-whites (save Asians) than for whites, so who's being held back, again? Walking at night, and stopped by police? Yeah, my son was stopped, for being a white guy that fit the description of someone they were seeking. No issues, he totally understood, and the cops, after seeing he wasn't their guy, moved along. Nothing racist about seeking a suspect of any particular description, which will logically include the race of the suspect. Restaurant seating? Gee, you mean like the husband and I being seated, for an anniversary meal, right next to a group of extremely loud blacks, who were so rude they not only practically shouted at one another, all the time, but actually stood in front of our table talking, and disrupting our entire meal? How about the fact hat no one in the restaurant staff came over to ask them to be quiet? Been ignored by non-white cab drivers personally, as far as that goes.

There is no privilege for being white.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
black person complains about racism, get over it, it happened hundreds of years ago, b.e.t, black colleges, blm, black history month!!!!!!

white person complains about racism - gets showered with praise.

Its wrong if it happens to ANYONE. And, if it becomes acceptable for it to happen to anyone, eventually it will become acceptable to happen to everyone. Perhaps we are seeing this now?

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join