It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melania's Donation Racists. This is out of Control.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I do not like the leftists dude,
I find that they are very rude.

They look for things to be offended,
Leaving them most defended.

Their attitude can be so crass,
Because their heads are up their ass.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
That's what you are, but what am I.... racist... R A C I S T ....Racist........... so there.... na, na na na...na

Used to be the ones calling names were school children, Elementary children.... Now it looks like it has become mainstream and meaningless.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I do not like the leftists dude,
I find that they are very rude.

They look for things to be offended,
Leaving them most defended.

Their attitude can be so crass,
Because their heads are up their ass.

Not bad but still 6/10, needs more memes.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
My Pet Goat.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I don't blame the librarian for being an idiot.
It's the fact the media has given her so much coverage that's scary.

"Wait!" "
"Is that a piece of thread?" "
"Must have been part of rope and everybody knows rope is racist"

The media is now down on all fours with microscopes searching for particles of the elusive, yet all-pervasive racism molecule.
edit on 1-10-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I've stopped paying attention to these kinds of stories. Usually, you can eliminate an article based on the headline.

We all know better. Don't let the jerkoffs control how you feel.

Control your input.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

what did she say about the donation of books or the financial needs of her library that were false?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
The media is now down on all fours with microscopes searching for particles of the elusive, yet all-pervasive racism molecule.

[Applause]

Kind of like crackheads "carpet cruising".

edit on 1-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

edit on 10jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Right. The only reason for this is that she's married to Donnie. But this creating angst where there is none is getting out of hand. This isn't the left. This isn't any group. This is a single(let's hope she is too Hate to think she's procreated) person with a personal beef directed at the wrong target. Melania seems like a person that will take it in stride. Ignore it into oblivion. Let's hope her husband will as well.

I agree with this paragraph, sometimes people like the lady in the article get a little loopy. As for Dr. Suess being racist, I never picked up on any of that, but there is a lot of racism and sexism in every part of society. It is getting less and less as we progress into the future, so sometimes people from the past look out-of-touch with our modern values.

I did a bit of research and found out that Dr. Suess used to draw "racist" political cartoons. They were racist because they depicted people of color as stereotypes.

Dr. Seuss's political leanings are well known—he was a liberal Democrat who opposed fascism in the 1940s and President Nixon in the 1970s. The new movie of his book The Lorax is a fairly unsubtle pro-environment allegory.

Less well celebrated are Theodor Seuss Geisel's early advertising and political cartoons from the 1920s through the 1940s, which feature a decidely racist streak.

Source

I'm sure that these kinds of cartoons if made today, would be offensive. However, Dr. Suess was probably being subconsciously influenced by his contemporaries and the culture of the time.
edit on 01pmSun, 01 Oct 2017 17:56:57 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I clicked on the link and saw that it was an opinion piece so I took it with a grain of salt, expecting the author to omit a few facts or misrepresent the librarian's words. Turned out that I was right. It's nothing but a long-winded rant.

First of all the librarian thanked Melania.

Thank you for the ten Dr. Seuss titles that you sent my school library in recognition of this year’s National Read a Book Day. (Sent second-day air, no less! That must have been expensive.) I’m proud that you recognized my school as something special. It truly is.

Now the school is pretty well off and the teachers are well paid so the students have access to good education and good library. There are others schools and students that need more help so why not help them instead?

Meanwhile, school libraries around the country are being shuttered. Cities like Philadelphia, Chicago, and Detroit are suffering through expansion, privatization, and school “choice” with no interest in outcomes of children, their families, their teachers, and their schools. Are those kids any less deserving of books simply because of circumstances beyond their control? Why not go out of your way to gift books to underfunded and underprivileged communities that continue to be marginalized and maligned by policies put in place by Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos? Why not reflect on those “high standards of excellence” beyond only what the numbers suggest? Secretary DeVos would do well to scaffold and lift schools instead of punishing them with closures and slashed budgets.

As to the claim that Dr. Seuss was racist, it turns out to be true. Dr. Seuss even apologized for it.
www.newsweek.com...

Here are couple of examples of his artwork that appear to be racist:

I am honored that you recognized my students and our school. I can think of no better gift for children than books; it was a wonderful gesture, if one that could have been better thought out. Books can be a powerful way to learn about and experience the world around us; they help build empathy and understanding. In return, I’m attaching a list of ten books (it’s the librarian in me) that I hope will offer you a window into the lives of the many children affected by the policies of your husband’s administration. You and your husband have a direct impact on these children’s lives. Please make time to learn about and value them. I hope you share these books with your family and with kids around the country. And I encourage you to reach out to your local librarian for more recommendations.

www.hbook.com...

I see nothing wrong in her letter.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Just been reading through and still trying to figure out what is racist about the cartoons from the 20's?

Anyhow, the fact some idiot would refuse a donation and go spout off to the press about it because she thought the cat in the hat was racist - despite dressing up as the cat in the hat - is pretty sad. Sadder still is the media giving it coverage, and saddest of all are people trawling through 100 year old media to try and find things that can justify this librarians ridiculous behaviour.

edit on 1/10/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Spouting off to the press? It's a damn letter.
But I agree that it's sad that the media is covering it. Sadder still is that woman's rant about nothing.
Why not cover her good points? About DeVos? About helping out the disadvantaged? About those schools that are in serious need of help? Cambridgeport School doesn't need any help.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

All that time bitching about it all she could have packed the books up to mail to the other schools, eh?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

All that time bitching about it all she could have packed the books up to mail to the other schools, eh?

Be careful with assuming. You know what they say about assumptions.
She might have already been doing that.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Poor Melania. It's guilt by association. She wanted to do something nice. Some people. ugh.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

but wait, there's more logic to refute your post by the ones who think her response was somehow wrong...
im waiting for it.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If anyone wasn't aware, Cambridge is one of the most rich cities/towns in Massachusetts.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
If anyone wasn't aware, Cambridge is one of the most rich cities/towns in Massachusetts.

Exactly.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Maybe Melania took the books as a gift not because she thought the school needed them but because it's just a nice gesture.

Do you assume that every person who gives you a gift assumes you are too poor to have provided that item to yourself otherwise?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join