It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd Guess maybe 5 Percent of those who watch the NFL stand for the Anthem. The hypocrisy is HUGE

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

a reply to: ColoradoJens

It’s about doing it with others. The national anthem, and standing for it, is the last customary gesture that binds all the people of the country together. It’s simple etiquette.

So why don't people do it together at bars and homes?

Because they are not where the anthem is being played.

The anthem is being played on TVs.
The point is the fake outrage. If people are so outraged about the players not standing then why are they not doing it at bars and homes? Isn't that being disrespectful to the flag?

No.

In the same way the players were not being disrespectful to the flag.

No, not the same.

Good retort.

Do you sit for anthems at sports and other public events?

I would be standing in line for beer and hotdogs.

But you wouldn’t sit.

I would. I've also sat during prayers.

That’s just as superstitious as standing. The problem is, it’s a show of disrespect as opposed to a show of respect.

I could say that respect is just as superstitious. The flag is also as superstitious.

Try laughing at a funeral. Respect is the glue that holds a community together.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

The difference is I don't try to get the other team fired when my team loses, I accept the loss and move on.

A piece of cloth is a piece of cloth, it only has the power that you choose to give it. Not everyone chooses to let an inanimate object have power over them. I'm my own person with my own values, I don't let a piece of fabric dictate my values for me.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Apparently the topic got a little to hot for ColoradoJens
edit on 27-9-2017 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2017 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Yet half the people who are complaining about kneelers choose not to respect the flag and instead choose to go get a hotdog and drink.

link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The difference is I don't try to get the other team fired when my team loses, I accept the loss and move on.

A piece of cloth is a piece of cloth, it only has the power that you choose to give it. Not everyone chooses to let an inanimate object have power over them. I'm my own person with my own values, I don't let a piece of fabric dictate my values for me.

It is what that "piece of fabric" stands for and respect for those that have fought for what it stands for.

link   

It’s about doing it with others. The national anthem, and standing for it, is the last customary gesture that binds all the people of the country together. It’s simple etiquette.

The point is the fake outrage. If people are so outraged about the players not standing then why are they not doing it at bars and homes? Isn't that being disrespectful to the flag?

No.

No, not the same.

Good retort.

But you wouldn’t sit.

That’s just as superstitious as standing. The problem is, it’s a show of disrespect as opposed to a show of respect.

I could say that respect is just as superstitious. The flag is also as superstitious.

Using an hyperbole to push your point. I expect better than that from you.
But you did bring up a good point though. Some people opted for celebration of life instead of a funeral. They choose to laugh and party, reminiscing the good times.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Hm. Then why make anyone stand for a pre-recorded one? If they are not at/in the recording studio with the live singer/band/orchestra, then evidently by your own answer, it's not necessary for them to stand when it plays. If they do not need to because to comes through TV or radio speakers regardless of group size, then by default, that minimizes the significance.

It boils down to that sliding scale significance I mentioned earlier.
edit on 9/27/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

Who chooses what it stands for though? Not you or me that's for sure, it's the state that decided what it stands for long before you or me were around.

It's a state sanctioned tradition that serves no purpose other than to make people bow down to what they say is appropriate. Have fun with that.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Yet half the people who are complaining about kneelers choose not to respect the flag and instead choose to go get a hotdog and drink.

I would guess that they are a complaining about the utter disregard for what should be unifying civic custom.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Because the are in public with a large group of their fellow citizens.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

You mean their own utter disregard while they buy their hotdogs with extra onions and relish and a large coke?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

If you think it is about a piece of cloth? You are the Zombie. It is about showing some damn respect. Do you go into a retail store and expect to be treated poorly as a customer or with respect? You get treated as to how you treat others. If you show disrespect, you deserve disrespect back. It isn't rocket science.

Why are you supporting toxic masculinity?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

God, if a conservative said that about the LGBT rainbow flag, the snowflakes would have to find a safe place for some hot cocoa and coloring books.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

No.

No, not the same.

Good retort.

But you wouldn’t sit.

I attended an IRISH funeral about 10 years ago. Everyone was very jubilant. You're supposed to do what the group does to show respect...or don't go at all, if there's a problem.

Better for the NFL players to hide in the dark tunnel, than to stand before the world, ACTIVELY protesting the country that enabled them to earn such a good living.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

So the anthem isn't being played through the TV speakers and into their living rooms? I thought that people are supposed to face toward any speakers that were playing it and hold their hands over their hearts? I didn't realize there was an "unless you're not actually present at the event" clause.

Because there's not.

Besides "true patriots" wouldn't have to be told to show proper reverence to our Flag, our Anthem, and everything and every body they both represent.

This thread is spot on in ripping open the rancid, slovenly, hypocrisy shown by many on this issue.

link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Because the are in public with a large group of their fellow citizens.

But a packed sports bar is not a large group of their fellow citizens and thus no ritual warranted.

You folks make zero sense, it;s obvious flag & anthem etiquette necessity is HIGHLY subjective to you. You just won't admit it.

link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

I say that about rainbow flags all the time, no hot chocolate required.

Exception is the rule, right?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

You had no say in what that piece of cloth represents, you just parrot what the state told you to think about it.

Like I said, have fun bowing to an inanimate object.
edit on 9/27/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

a reply to: c2oden

Who chooses what it stands for though? Not you or me that's for sure, it's the state that decided what it stands for long before you or me were around.

It's a state sanctioned tradition that serves no purpose other than to make people bow down to what they say is appropriate. Have fun with that.

It stands for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
The flag has nothing to do with politics or current societal problems.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

You mean their own utter disregard while they buy their hotdogs with extra onions and relish and a large coke?

They wouldn’t be taking part in the civic custom while standing in line elsewhere. I’m sure there are some ultra-patriotic types who would put their hand over their heart even in line.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join