It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd Guess maybe 5 Percent of those who watch the NFL stand for the Anthem. The hypocrisy is HUGE

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'm usually at the concession stands or walking around like half the other people in the stadium do. Also, I'm not very keen on pointless traditions that serve no purpose other than to create nationalistic zombies.

But you don’t sit. You excuse yourself.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

a reply to: ColoradoJens

It’s about doing it with others. The national anthem, and standing for it, is the last customary gesture that binds all the people of the country together. It’s simple etiquette.

So why don't people do it together at bars and homes?

Because they are not where the anthem is being played.

The anthem is being played on TVs.
The point is the fake outrage. If people are so outraged about the players not standing then why are they not doing it at bars and homes? Isn't that being disrespectful to the flag?

No.

In the same way the players were not being disrespectful to the flag.

No, not the same.

Good retort.

Do you sit for anthems at sports and other public events?

I would be standing in line for beer and hotdogs.

But you wouldn’t sit.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

originally posted by: twohawks

your just itching for bait and I'm not going there snowflake. Take your milktoast cos and ride it home looking for your magic beans.
It’s about doing it with others. The national anthem, and standing for it, is the last customary gesture that binds all the people of the country together. It’s simple etiquette.

Where in the "anthem" playbook does it state you only have to stand if you are at a game?
in the NFL guidelines

Is that right? The NFL playbook tells me if I can stand or sit while it is being played? Huh. Send me copy.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Mr. Lynch sitting and eating a banana would be more disrespectful.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

So the tradition is akin to the NK military marches? Respect dear leader (in this case the flag) or face the consequences.

Look up the definition of fascism, you'll find a lot if similarities between it and what is going on now by those making a big deal out of kneelers.

link   

The point is the fake outrage. If people are so outraged about the players not standing then why are they not doing it at bars and homes? Isn't that being disrespectful to the flag?

No.

No, not the same.

Good retort.

But you wouldn’t sit.

I would. I've also sat during prayers.

link   

So the tradition is akin to the NK military marches? Respect dear leader (in this case the flag) or face the consequences.

Look up the definition of fascism, you'll find a lot if similarities between it and what is going on now by those making a big deal out of kneelers.

NK is Communist.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I'm usually at the concession stands or walking around like half the other people in the stadium do. Also, I'm not very keen on pointless traditions that serve no purpose other than to create nationalistic zombies.

So you picked a team? Wonderful! Now we should expect you not to come into every thread trying to play the reasonable middle man?

Sorry, but showing respect for the country that keeps you safe and provides you with opportunities does not equal being a Nationalist Zombie. You don't have to like your corrupt government but to disrespect those who shed blood sweat and tears so you can be an ignorant and disrespectful zealot, just isn't going to fly!

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

No.

No, not the same.

Good retort.

But you wouldn’t sit.

That’s just as superstitious as standing. The problem is, it’s a show of disrespect as opposed to a show of respect.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Wow, you're really grasping at straws now. There's no difference because neither parties choose to respect the flag like they're supposed to.

link   

Wow, you're really grasping at straws now. There's no difference because neither parties choose to respect the flag like they're supposed to.

I’m guessing because you won’t answer whether you’d sit or stand.

link   

Do you stand in your home? If no, you need to look in a mirror and ask why you are such a blatant liar with your feelings. That is unless you never thought about it before, which I would surmise comprises 90% of you or more.

There are a lot of things done in a stadium that nobody does at home, and vise versa. This OP is a horribly poor argument. How many people bow their heads and pray when they see it on TV versus bowing their heads and praying at the dinner table in their home? How many people shoot off fireworks in their living room while watching the 4th of July programming from the major cities? How many people throw slime at their television when watching a live Nickelodian program?

link   

Your point? If they don't respect dear leader (the flag) they're considered traitors and are disowned. Much like with the anti-kneelers.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

No.

No, not the same.

Good retort.

But you wouldn’t sit.

That’s just as superstitious as standing. The problem is, it’s a show of disrespect as opposed to a show of respect.

I could say that respect is just as superstitious. The flag is also as superstitious.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

If I'm not at the concession stands or walking around the stadium waiting for the game to start like half the people at an event I'll stand.

What exactly is the point of that question?
edit on 9/27/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Your point? If they don't respect dear leader (the flag) they're considered traitors and are disowned. Much like with the anti-kneelers.

They respect what the flag stands for, and observe one of the few universal customs of their country. You’d rather not.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

"Kneelers" is the cushy term being used now? I thought they were called "protestors". Maybe the American public is losing its patience and tolerance for hearing that word?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

This has nothing to with "dear leader" it is about showing respect for those that have fought for the freedoms that you have.

link   

If I'm not at the concession stands or walking around the stadium waiting for the game to start like half the people at an event I'll stand.

What exactly is the point of that question?

The point is, it’s a mutual display of respect. And I commend you for that.

link   
It appears there is a different level of anthem respect based on the location where it is experienced.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join