It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd Guess maybe 5 Percent of those who watch the NFL stand for the Anthem. The hypocrisy is HUGE

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Could someone show me the US law that requires someone to stand indoors during the playing of the national anthem?

link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

originally posted by: c2oden

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: c2oden

Like everyone else, by going to detention or being suspended for not standing for it in school.

It's brainwashing 101, get them while they're young.

What is wrong you?

He isn’t brainwashed.

That appears “wrong” to someone who is brainwashed.

No. He can't even respect an opinion that differs from his own.

I'm not suprised that he can not show respect for a "piece of cloth".

link   
Often times when I'm attending an event, and a certain guest is introduced, everyone stands and claps. If I don't know much about that person, I might clap, but not stand.

Everyone born in this country knows what the U.S. Flag stands for. And I think (legal) immigrants have to take courses to learn several things, including what the U.S. Flag stands for, beyond just stars/stripes.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

I guess I just choose to not let the state dictate what is right or wrong for me.

How do you feel about North Koreans honoring dear leader out of tradition and being disowned or punished for not toeing the line? Do you think it's fair that they are punished for not bowing down to Kim?

Take a look in the mirror, you're guilty of the same thing except with a flag.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

a reply to: Nyiah

Because the are in public with a large group of their fellow citizens.

But a packed sports bar is not a large group of their fellow citizens and thus no ritual warranted.

You folks make zero sense, it;s obvious flag & anthem etiquette necessity is HIGHLY subjective to you. You just won't admit it.

But it is etiquette. That’s the point, no matter what anyone thinks of the flag.

Would you take your shoes off at the Taj Mahal, even though you weren’t Muslim nor Indian?

It is selectively applied etiquette. If it's not necessary for a packed bar to display the etiquette, then you must concede it's not necessary elsewhere large groups of citizens have congregated. You are arguing that the etiquette is unconditional while giving solid examples that it is indeed conditional.
Make up your mind.

If others in the bar started standing and singing the national anthem, you’d be a buzz kill and not take part? What a buzz-kill.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Man this has got everyone one so worked up I just can't wait to see what the next controversial polarising media issue is going to be.

One things for sure it will probably be a molehill made into a mountain and keep everyone nice and distracted.

Here's an old drinking song to mellow everyone out.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Could someone show me the US law that requires someone to stand indoors during the playing of the national anthem?

That isn't the point of this thread.
If people want to express fake outrage then be consistent in homes and bars at least.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
When it plays before a game, and I'm on that station... yes, I actually do stand. Hand over heart. Singing the song. And I'm teaching my son the same.

So, now what hmmm?

EDIT: I recite the Pledge too, if they play that.
edit on 27-9-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Etiquette is absolutely conditional. When you're at a dive bar, belching and wiping beer off your mustache with your sleeve isn't problematic. I'd not consider doing the same sitting at a classy joint. That said, if you're at even a dive bar and the bartender says "Can we get a moment of quiet respect for so and so who was a regular here and was just reported to have lost his life" you damn well should STFU and show a little respect. That's sort of the gist of etiquette... you respect whatever practice, tradition, and observance the majority of those around you are participating in.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

They'd probably be too drunk to care.

link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: seeker1963

The difference is I don't try to get the other team fired when my team loses, I accept the loss and move on.

A piece of cloth is a piece of cloth, it only has the power that you choose to give it. Not everyone chooses to let an inanimate object have power over them. I'm my own person with my own values, I don't let a piece of fabric dictate my values for me.

God, if a conservative said that about the LGBT rainbow flag, the snowflakes would have to find a safe place for some hot cocoa and coloring books.

So no for you too?

No, I don't kneel like a disrespectful jag off.

link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
When it plays before a game, and I'm on that station... yes, I actually do stand. Hand over heart. Singing the song. And I'm teaching my son the same.

So, now what hmmm?

Now you're a rare bird.

link   

a reply to: ketsuko

My point has nothing to do with the Anthem but the absurdity of those calling for the heads of NFL players when those creaming loudest are not even standing themselves.

But in this case, your point has everything to do with the anthem.

If they weren't standing for "Thunderstruck" during the kickoff, this would not even be an issue ... well, maybe it would if the kickoff units were taking knees instead of playing. But regardless, it would not be an issue.

Why? Because the country as a whole observes the tradition of standing in respect for the flag ceremony and anthem. Those things are supposed to be one thing that unites us as a people whatever our internal warts happen to be. If you don't respect the flag and anthem, then you are saying that nothing the country represents, none of those ideals that leftists still say mean so much to them (like equality which is what these players claim they want) that we still strive for together as citizens are worth respecting.

Kaepernick himself started it off by saying he would not respect a nation that oppressed POC. So that's what they're doing and saying. They don't respect the country they live in and her people, their fellow citizens.
edit on 27-9-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

But a packed sports bar is not a large group of their fellow citizens and thus no ritual warranted.

You folks make zero sense, it;s obvious flag & anthem etiquette necessity is HIGHLY subjective to you. You just won't admit it.

But it is etiquette. That’s the point, no matter what anyone thinks of the flag.

Would you take your shoes off at the Taj Mahal, even though you weren’t Muslim nor Indian?

It is selectively applied etiquette. If it's not necessary for a packed bar to display the etiquette, then you must concede it's not necessary elsewhere large groups of citizens have congregated. You are arguing that the etiquette is unconditional while giving solid examples that it is indeed conditional.
Make up your mind.

If others in the bar started standing and singing the national anthem, you’d be a buzz kill and not take part? What a buzz-kill.

You've avoided what I've pointed out quite well, kudos to the sidestepping attempt. You argue people must do so in a group setting, but bars don't count. If bars do not count, then why should anyone participate and why would anyone care if I did or didn't?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Interesting question. Does the anthem broadcasted make it less of an anthem?

Probably often used for a bathroom break or visit the fridge for a beer.

Exactly. Selective outrage when it suits someone. That's it.

maybe u need to look yourself in the mirror and wonder why u think its the norm to not stand or be silent for the anthem. i grew up in a home where u take your hat off, put your hand over your heart and sit in silent reverence till its done and that wasnt something out of the norm, it was the same at any one of my friends houses i went 2 and if u think i live in some super conservative state think again, im in cali. maybe u need to ask yourself why u dont have this innate patriotism in you, or are u one of those self hating americans?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
Man this has got everyone one so worked up I just can't wait to see what the next controversial polarising media issue is going to be.

One things for sure it will probably be a molehill made into a mountain and keep everyone nice and distracted.

Here's an old drinking song to mellow everyone out.

kneeling during an anthem as the sign of of lost merriment. I think there is a point to be made there.

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

So, now what hmmm?

Now you're a rare bird.

I've been told that before

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: DBCowboy

That isn't the point of this thread.
If people want to express fake outrage then be consistent in homes and bars at least.

It is the point.

Outdoors, you stop and stand and either salute or place your hand over your heart.

Indoors?

There is no rule nor is there regulation to do so.

Do people do it?

Sure.

But there is no "rule" to do so, indoors.

There are rules outdoors.

On military bases, at least.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No. Fake outrage is the point of this thread.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Make up your mind.

You've avoided what I've pointed out quite well, kudos to the sidestepping attempt. You argue people must do so in a group setting, but bars don't count. If bars do not count, then why should anyone participate and why would anyone care if I did or didn't?

I also said it was etiquette and civic custom, something you’ve sidestepped.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join