It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Get Fat......

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Wonderful to hear that you changed your way of eating and have such great results!!!!!!!
Sounds like your insulin levels are...well....more level...and your energy is even out as well.
YAY!!!!!

Now, that is my goal...to get rid of those callings from processed carbs....to not even crave those pesky carbs anymore.
I will be a most happy campy when I get to that level.

Keto/low carb is NOT for everyone....I read in another thread that a member had to avoid too much protein.
We are all different.
But, lowering our carbs is probably a good idea for most people...and would go a long way to decreased waistlines...and healthier people.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
Sitting down is the primary cause of getting fat. I could eat anything without putting on weight when I didn't drive or use a computer.

Sitting down more. Getting older. And not changing what we eat as we get older and our metabolisms slow.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I know, right???
Fat does not make us fat.....a hard concept to understand.

A six-pack of soda lasted all week...and there were four of us indulging.
Ice cream was a treat.
There were corner bakeries with wonderful rye and pumpernickel breads.
Super-size did not exist.
Fast foods was just coming into its own.
edit on Sat Aug 12 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

There were corner bakeries with wonderful rye and pumpernickel breads.

So true. My brother and I were the kids bringing sandwiches from home on funny bread instead of eating those crappy school lunches.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
DontTreadOnMe

Yep, I never had any insulin problems. Get a "wellness check" every year and everything is right where it should be. No sugar or pre-sugar issues, no high blood pressure, not overweight. They check cholesterol and such as well, I've never had any issues with any of it. I also never had issues with eating carbs or anything I wanted to. But, I didn't feel good. Even though everything checked out where it was supposed to. I would have normal lows that most people have (mid afternoon slump) but it wasn't fluctuating according to my eating habits.

Now I don't get those lows. My energy level is even throughout the day. When I workout, the energy I expend is more steady throughout. I feel stronger and able to lift more weight, and recovery is not as long. Plus I have more focus..that's what I mean when I say feel better.

Definitely not for everyone, we are all different as you say. But I noticed some major differences with my bodies performance which is worth the changes I made. It was definitely a good thing for me to do...

blend57

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Latex food allergy....I had to look that one up! LOL

Some people who have latex allergy may also have an allergic response to any of a number of plant products, usually fruits. This is known as the latex-fruit syndrome. Fruits (and seeds) involved in this syndrome include banana, pineapple, avocado, chestnut, kiwi fruit, mango, passionfruit, fig, strawberry and soy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Reason this post caught my eye:
In an effort to find a healthy oil to use in addition to EVOO, butter and coconut oil, we started using avocado oil...and so far so good.
My avocado oil thread.... www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do agree foods we eat too much of that also are foods we cannot tolerate can cause problems.
Wheat...and other grains with gluten....come to mind.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
a reply to: Kester

I get fat because of cars and computers.

I am sure if you quit eating those,you'll feel much better.
A good start is to cut out the tires and the hard drives and taper yourself off slowly.

LOL LOL LOL, that was a brilliant answer.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
My first double post. Not sure how that happened

edit on 13-8-2017 by CthulhuMythos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   
It's calories in and calories out for the VAST majority. That's it. Do all the weird diets you want, if you're losing weight it's calories in and calories out.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Actually, there is evidence that when "regular" diets work, it is largely because people remove calories....and most of what they remove are the unhealthy carbs....chips, sodas, desserts. IOW, CARBS.

Despite the government nutrition claims, a calorie is not a calorie:
not all carbs are created equally.
And on a low carb way of eating, you can lose weight and not necessarily cut calories to crazy levels.
Many people who "diet" reduce their caloric intake to the point they are so hungry...that they eat more!

Please read this study.....

Regardless of what new insights are revealed, Gardner said the message he hopes people take from the study is the importance of eliminating from their diet, as much as possible, refined carbohydrates such as white bread and soda.

med.stanford.edu...
www.umass.edu... [pdf file]

The Atkins diet group reported the most weight loss at 12 months with an average loss of 4.7 kilograms, or just over 10 pounds. They also had more favorable overall metabolic effects. Average weight loss across all four groups ranged from 3.5 to 10.4 pounds. The authors note that “even modest reductions in excess weight have clinically significant effects on risk factors such as triglycerides and blood pressure.”

nccih.nih.gov...

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

And on a low carb way of eating, you can lose weight and not necessarily cut calories to crazy levels.
Many people who "diet" reduce their caloric intake to the point they are so hungry...that they eat more!

DB is a perfect example, poor guy is eating only cucumbers and arugula. At this point he'd probably eat his own arm if he could figure out how to cook it.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

LOL....and to make matters worse....many who diet also decide to up their exercise....which INCREASES appetite....the poor "dieter" is really doomed long term.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

That's a good point. Without proper caloric intake exercising tends to consume muscle mass and not fat.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Yep!
And, while the insulin spikes from digesting carbs, are bodies do not burn fat at all.
It's a process I cannot adequately parrot here, but the bottom line is the stored fat stays stored as long as insulin flows in our systems.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
When I hit my early 40's, suddenly carbs became my enemy.... my body (especially my plumbing) just can't handle carbs anymore for whatever reason.

Pasta (my all-time favourite food) has been the hardest thing for me to cut back on. I literally crave the stuff at times and need to get my fix.

When I eat breads and pastas, I get groggy and lithargic and the intestinal pain is killer. Meat and meat fat, eggs, and certain veggies (greens in particular) seem to be the only thing that doesn't kill me these days.

My doc told me years ago to step away from breads and fruits and to start eating a lot more meats (particularly meats that have a lot of fat like red meats), lots and lots of fatty proteins.

I think it's high time I start taking his advice.... my waist line and bowels will thank me for it.

Oh, and Lays-fricken-sour-cream-and-onion-damn-potato-chips.

My other weakness that I can't seem to let go of.

I hate old age.

On the plus side ?

Bacon !!

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Oh, and Lays-fricken-sour-cream-and-onion-damn-potato-chips.

My other weakness that I can't seem to let go of.

Amen to that!

I can give up sammiches......pasta.....cake and cookies...but those DAMN chips

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I know right ?!

Chips, damn you to hell !

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Chips, damn you to hell !

Potato chips are my one junk food guilty pleasure.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Then we have this post by rickymouse on page two....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
salt and carbs is not a healthy combo!

They were not kidding when the said...Bet you can't eat just one!!!!!!!!

edit on Sun Aug 13 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

They were not kidding when the said...Bet you can't eat just one!!!!!!!!

No, I cant.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Fortunately, we have cheese and bacon to cut down on those nasty carb urges.
TBH, good cheese is far more satisfying than Lays chips.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join