It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Get Fat......

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Fortunately, we have cheese and bacon to cut down on those nasty carb urges.
TBH, good cheese is far more satisfying than Lays chips.

Yeah, I love a snack of cheese and some apples or pears. I actually prefer to order a cheese plate for dessert if they offer it instead of sugary stuff.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And, after a good meal, who really has room for a sugary dessert? Yet we shovel it in!

Cheese for dessert...what a concept

Not many restaurants around here seem to do that.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

And, after a good meal, who really has room for a sugary dessert? Yet we shovel it in!

Certainly not me.

Cheese for dessert...what a concept

Not many restaurants around here seem to do that.

It's a bit more popular in Europe but you can occasionally find this offered at some better restaurants. I tend to gravitate more towards savory flavor profiles then sweet. Probably because the concept of eating dessert was not something we had when I was a kid. I was always a little surprised whenever I would go to friend's houses for dinner and their mom would bring out a cake after every meal and they were all equally surprised that we didn't.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It's frustrating how much our bodies change as we get older.

Poor hubby had to cut out dairy completely a few years ago for the same reasons, his body just didn't agree with it anymore.

I at least still get to enjoy dairy products like cheese, yogurt, sour cream, etc.... while he sits there and drools at my big hunk-a sharp old chedda. I love to snack on slices of old cheddar with butcher fresh kolbassa and oober garlic-y dill pickles.

But my inability to pig out on fettucini alfredo with garlic toast ?

It's inhumane torture !

*sigh*

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

We didn't have dessert on a regular basis either.
Birthdays, holidays, etc.

We also were not one of those families that served bread with every evening meal....that to me is just carb overkill.
That in addition to rice, potatoes, etc. served with a meal.

I do think our eating habits are defined at an early age.
Children are not usually born craving sugar and salt.
Although, there is some evidence IIRC that babies born of overweight mothers can have some insulin issues right out of the gate.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

We also were not one of those families that served bread with every evening meal....that to me is just carb overkill.
That in addition to rice, potatoes, etc. served with a meal.

Same, that was another odd concept, rolls and butter with every meal at friends.

I do think our eating habits are defined at an early age.
Children are not usually born craving sugar and salt.
Although, there is some evidence IIRC that babies born of overweight mothers can have some insulin issues right out of the gate.

I agree with this. I think my brain chemistry in regards food was wired early on to not crave sugar and carbs.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I'm not a big fan of sweets myself, never have been.

But far be it for me to turn my nose up at a slice of lemon meringue pie, or a lemon square, or a slice of carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

Hoo boy.... this all meat, high protein, no carb thing is going to be a tough one for me.

*grumble grumble*

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Hoo boy.... this all meat, high protein, no carb thing is going to be a tough one for me.

*grumble grumble*

I'll send you some recipes for walrus to help spice up your dietary requirements.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I'm hoping to break the carb snack habit.

I love me some meat, bacon, cheese, eggs.
With a nice salad with a full fat dressing made with EVOO or avocado oil.

I stopped going to low carb forums, reading low carb cook books, making meals that are substitutes for high carb dishes.
And those low carb casseroles...just no!

My husband needs more carbs than I do, and it's not fair to him either to have these weird dishes. I can make a meat, a salad or veggie....and give him some rice pasta or similar carb.

Now a good low carb chocolate dessert now and then!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!
Or a low carb cheesecake, with a "crust" of almond meal or flax meal....with unsweetened homemade whipped cream?

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

*grumble grumble*

I'll send you some recipes for walrus to help spice up your dietary requirements.

Is there such a thing as walrus bacon and walrus burgers ?

If so, you have my attention.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

a reply to: CranialSponge

I'm hoping to break the carb snack habit.

I love me some meat, bacon, cheese, eggs.
With a nice salad with a full fat dressing made with EVOO or avocado oil.

I stopped going to low carb forums, reading low carb cook books, making meals that are substitutes for high carb dishes.
And those low carb casseroles...just no!

My husband needs more carbs than I do, and it's not fair to him either to have these weird dishes. I can make a meat, a salad or veggie....and give him some rice pasta or similar carb.

Now a good low carb chocolate dessert now and then!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!
Or a low carb cheesecake, with a "crust" of almond meal or flax meal....with unsweetened homemade whipped cream?

Agreed.

I don't want to turn this no carb-low carb thing into a fad and start hanging out in the "Ew-Carbs.com" forums with all the other tofu frappuccino connoisseurs. I'd probably end up smacking someone upside the head with a bag of freshly deep-fried pigskin cracklins.

But the simple fact of the matter is that I do need to pay more attention to what I'm putting into my body because my body is screaming at me to knock it off... but at the same time, I need to feed someone else (hubby) who most definitely needs a much heavier substantial diet than I do.

So it's going to be a bit of a tricky balancing act for us I think.

I guess I can continue to make the usual meals that he loves and can always whip a little something something up for myself on the side if whatever I'm making is going to murder my intestines ?

I just hate the idea of having to put more thought into meal planning. I've been feeding people for 30+ years without so much as a passing thought about it. Changing life long habits is going to be rough.

*sigh*

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I know I'm going to regret this but...

What's that tusk sticking out of the poor little fella's head made from ?

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'd say it's probably genetics.

I eat like I have a tapeworm inside of me.

Just might.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I know I'm going to regret this but...

What's that tusk sticking out of the poor little fella's head made from ?

Looks like it's his 'parsnip'.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Looks like it's his 'parsnip'.

Uh huh. That's what I was afraid of.

A whale, um, 'parsnip'.

posted on Aug, 13 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I'd say it's probably genetics.

I eat like I have a tapeworm inside of me.

Part genetics.

Part youth.

Give it another 20 years

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Its going to be tough....low carb foods tend to be grazing animals. Its not the most efficient way to "grow food".

If we can create lab grown meat products, it will be a lot easier. Until then, I think we are left with grain consumption being our best bet against mass starvation.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I do want to share a bonus side effect of my low carb eating. I no longer have acid reflux. Let me say this, some of you with acid reflux and heartburn know this but its awful. I'd wake up in the middle of the night several times a week with acid burning my throat (think hangover vomit) that no liquid would relieve. I lived on prescription omeprazole and backed it up with tums...large of assorted flavor chalky tums.

Since cutting out all the sodas, breads, and fried junk I no longer require any medication for my acid reflux because I no longer have it. I won't pretend to know why and haven't researched it but I would gladly stay away from even the sugary sweets I love to never have another night of sleeping in my recliner (not reclined) just to ease the reflux.

Anyways, I just wanted to share in case any of you suffer as I did. It may work for you too.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

I basically had the same thing happen.

I've done low carb off and on for years.
Two years ago, went back on lo carb, and specifically to avoid wheat and gluten....that was my trigger.

Haven't had to take a prilosec since.....and feel tons better.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join