It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Get Fat......

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I get fat because of cars and computers.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I assume food diversity is absolutely necessary for a good diet. I won’t classify food into healthy, unhealthy or likely to cause problems. What matters is the quantity, the selection and the combination of foodstuffs that you consume.
edit on 11 8 2017 by surnamename57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I get fat because of cars and computers.

I am sure if you quit eating those,you'll feel much better.
A good start is to cut out the tires and the hard drives and taper yourself off slowly.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
DontTreadOnMe

I've been on my own version of keto for about 6 weeks now. I changed around a ton of my eating habits. I wasn't overweight before, it had nothing to do with weight. I just didn't feel healthy. Within the first week, my energy levels were more level and sustained throughout the day (no peaks and valleys, highs and lows). My workouts were more even keeled (no burnout at the end), and my mind was more focused.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to change my diet again this last week and eat what was available. I stayed with mostly meat products, but the food was not real (frozen microwave sausages, fake bacon, watered down powdered eggs). And a ton of coffee. One week and I could see the negative effects of those eating habits.

Organic/low fat/no fat/ or low calorie labels I steer clear of. Buy from farmers markets when I can and grow our own vegetables. I know it is much better for me, and more importantly, I've felt the difference. For me it wasn't so much about losing weight...I didn't need to. It was the difference in how my body performed and my mind felt.

I don't even crave carbs anymore, and I could eat one meal a day and be satisfied, but I need to make sure I get enough protein for my workout routine so I have to eat more. Keto is maybe not the answer for everyone, but it worked for me.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I thought that was coming.

Sitting down is the primary cause of getting fat. I could eat anything without putting on weight when I didn't drive or use a computer.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
To burn fats, you need salt. Plain old sea salt is fine. If you lower the sodium and chloride, you have to burn carbs. Salt will make you hungry. Why does it do that instead of making you thirsty? People think that salt makes you thirsty, but it does not. Salt helps break down lipids to Carbon Dioxide and water, but if glucose is present, it does not do that, the carb burning process blocks the burning of fats.

Fats can make you fat if you do not have enough salt or if you constantly eat carbs. Now meat contains half fats and it does not cause insulin to spike for some reason meaning you keep burning fats. The skinniest people I seem to know eat fatty food with lots of salt.

Breads and grains are converted to glucose, so they stop the process of burning fat. On top of that glucose actually makes you conserve salt in the kidneys. so if you eat a lot of carbs you do not excrete the sodium tied to the waste products of the cells and it can build up in the body. It is best to not eat carbs for two hours before you go to sleep, this way an hour after going to sleep you switch over to burning lipids or fats and you actually excrete more sodium and chloride into the urine and pee it out in the morning tied to the toxic cell metabolites and your cells stay healthy.

There is a nitrogen containing chemical involved in this process too, it is released by muscle tissue nutrition stores. Each cell of muscle stores a little bit of special fat that it can use on demand, the liver also has stores of fat for fasting. Muscle fats actually are utilized before fat stored in fat cells are. The heart actually burns almost all lipids, it does not use carbs or glucose. That glucose needs to be converted by the liver to be used by the heart. Other organs also do that conversion a little, including the lungs if I remember right.

This is all stuff I have read, I am combining many different scientific and medical articles to write this. I may have a little bit of misinterpretation because the single articles do not actually put this all together most times. Once I conclude something may be happening, I research to see if it is true. Most times my conclusions are pretty accurate, but there are always going to be metabolic differences between people that cause differences which may make it not apply.

A small number of people do not excrete sodium well even if they do not eat much carbs. That number is only a couple of percent of the population. For most people salt problems come from too much carbs. Tyramines actually raise blood pressure more than proper amounts of salt. Sodium and potassium and chloride also need to be balanced. You cannot burn fat if you do not have enough sodium and chloride present either.
edit on 11-8-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos
Oh!

Those devious and delectable carbs!
Cherry pie ala mode, potato chips, mac and cheese, rice bowls!!
It's like your brain craves them.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

we get fat because we eat GMOs and nobody takes walks anymore.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ilikenotebooks

Yeah, eating foods our bodies haven't adapted to can be a big part of the problem. And GMOs are the new kids on the block of foods our body doesn't know what to do with.
When you stop to think that man has been a hunter/gatherer for far, FAR longer than agrarian/modern man, it's no wonder we don't use foods efficiently.

Many of us don't get enough exercise, that is true.
But if one is trying to lose weight...most people cut calories....which makes your body think it needs more food.
And along with eating less, we start exercise programs....which increases our appetites.
It's no wonder diets usually are not all that successful....or don't have lasting results.

What needs to happen, as has been mentioned, is to change the way we eat...and make it a way of life, not a diet.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It takes more than a few generation to add foods to our diet without experiencing side effects from our body not identifying it and making all of the metabolic pathways necessary to break it down and excrete the toxins properly. Our DNA actually stores information on how to do some of this. In the beginning, you may eat a small amount, then after having kids they can eat a little more, then their kids can eat a little more. It takes a hundred years and at least four generations to properly add a new food to the diet of some ancestral group.

Take bananas, they were introduced into the Americas a little in the late eighteen hundreds but most people did not eat any till they became available in the fifties. I was born in the fifties, my parents probably did not eat too many before I was born. So, I am the first real generation to eat them. I am in the same boat as my parents. The latex fruit syndrome applies to bananas, they effect a lot of older people negatively. People have been eating potatoes for a couple hundred years, their genetics is used to them better than bananas and potatoes contain more potassium than bananas do. The medical trade seems to push bananas yet I find most of my stuff I learn from the medical science sites. My grandkids probably can process bananas without too many side effects if eaten in moderation. They are used to the plant defense system chemistry now because I actually paid the price and so did my daughter.

Too much change too fast is no good, I strongly urge people to be skeptical of the avacado and some of the supposed super foods we have just started to eat. If your ancestors did not pay the price, you probably will be negatively effected by the food. We can tolerate moderate occasional amounts but not a big dietary change. The people telling us to change to these exotic foods do not know much about metabolics and enzymes. It is not necessarily the medical trade or Pharma trade that is sickening a lot of people, it is this Fad diet society we have created. My ancestors paid the price, I can take a drink of my coffee without too many side effects.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I did not know about the role salt plays in all of this...Thanks!!!

I do use sea salt and liberally add to foods when cooking.....not too much so that is overwhelming.
But I don't buy into the evil salt mantras.

It does make sense that salt and carbs do not do well in the body, much as carbs and fat do not do well in the body.

Good reminder about needing two hours before sleep if you eat carbs in the evening.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Carbs are my enemy. If I fall off my keto diet for a month, I can gain 10lbs like it's nothing. Thank God I'm as carnivorous as I am because I try to eat 200 grams of protein and keep my net carbs under 30. The food pyramid we all learned in school is a joke. I miss the days where I could eat pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and stay trim. Now if I gain a pound if I drive past a Pizza Hut.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Please please read the Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung if you haven't already.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   
My trick is to skip breakfast, have a late, small lunch (somewhere between 3 and 5) and a large dinner at 8.
No time for snacking anyway so that's not a problem. The diet is diverse, I eat everything, literally.

2 decent meals a day and probably some fruit before bed.

Food weighs me down (especially breakfast) and I'm usually short on time...

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I am glad to see the recent changes in attitude about salt. It has been a long standing disagreement between my husband and I. He tries to avoid it and insists it is bad for you, while I have always had a great craving for salt, and feel much better if I am getting a lot of it. I even put some in my coffee in the morning. I drink a lot of sparkling mineral water, but I realized it was only the ones that are high in sodium - that's what I liked about them.
I have always had lower than normal blood pressure, so I know it isn't having that effect on me.

But I had no information to back up my opinion on this, so have had to resort to stubborn silence when he points out my sodium intake. I just know when something is needed by my body or not!

On the question of carbs at night though...

When I was deep in ketosis last year, I started having trouble sleeping. It was the only negative side effect.
I read that eating my (small amount) of carbs before bedtime would help. I started having a greek yogurt with some raspberries at night and it DID fix the insomnia problem.

edit on 12-8-2017 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

With regard to salt, you are the same as me. However, unlike you, I have voiced my resistance to anti-salt 'hardliners'. Goats love to lick salt water and they are typically meager.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Most people get fat because they eat way more then they can burn off,and over the years they accumulate,I was always told by others I wouldn't be healthy nor live long because I never eat vegetables and never have,now many have died and others are sick,but not me Dr said my organs function like a teenager,and I have never varied much in weight,except when I lifted weights,my theory through life has been,if it doesn't taste good don't eat it,and I love red meat

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

I am glad to see the recent changes in attitude about salt. It has been a long standing disagreement between my husband and I. He tries to avoid it and insists it is bad for you, while I have always had a great craving for salt, and feel much better if I am getting a lot of it. I even put some in my coffee in the morning. I drink a lot of sparkling mineral water, but I realized it was only the ones that are high in sodium - that's what I liked about them.
I have always had lower than normal blood pressure, so I know it isn't having that effect on me.

But I had no information to back up my opinion on this, so have had to resort to stubborn silence when he points out my sodium intake. I just know when something is needed by my body or not!

When I was deep in ketosis last year, I started having trouble sleeping. It was the only negative side effect.
I read that eating my (small amount) of carbs before bedtime would help. I started having a greek yogurt with some raspberries at night and it DID fix the insomnia problem.

Salt is bad, very very bad for someone with high blood pressure. Sodium and potassium are used by heart muscle to control contractions and relaxation. but if you have low blood pressure, you would need more Sodium and Potassium.

healthyeating.sfgate.com...

I find sparkling mineral water delicious (Buxtons, Highland spring water, Perrier). They all have sodium and salt:
i.dailymail.co.uk...

Too much food has too much fat. Sausage rolls are around 45% fat. I completely porked out to a 48" waist when I ate those on a regular basis. So I dropped down to avoiding red meat especially instant meals, just white meat like chicken/turkey, vegetables like carrots, cucumber, lettuce broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and rice. It's a balance between exercise and diet.

There was one place I stayed in the UK, where everyone was super slim like in "Musical Libre - The Sweet Chop Chop". That was because the nearest bus stop was 30 minutes away and everyone had to walk that distance, and the shops only
sold healthy basics. It's the same in Norway. Junk food has to be imported so it is so expensive.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

You pretty much summed it up. People erroneously believe that fat makes you fat but it is all carbs, sugar and processed food. My mother never let us eat crap like Wonder Bread or drink sodas when we were younger and to this day 'food' like that really doesn't hold any type of appeal for me.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

A little carbs at night is not a problem, it may even be beneficial for lots of people. But eating a big plate of spaghetti right before going to sleep is not good. Eating that spaghetti at six and going to sleep at ten is not a problem for most people though.

Fat is a byproduct of inflammation. Carbs cause some inflammation. But everyone is different metabolically, some people can eat lots of carbs without gaining weight because they produce a lot of the enzymes and chemistry to process them. These people do better with carbs than with proteins and fats. Also, fats from grains are inflammatory for some people while others have no problem. Animal fats are better tolerated by many than grain fats like soybean or corn oil. They actually have found the genetic variances that can somewhat identify this.

We learned to use regular shortening or butter instead of crisco, it tastes better to us and it seems to be less inflammatory. Grassfed butter seems to be too high priced for us so we buy Land of Lakes butter which tastes decent at two thirds the price. There is only one place here that sells real grassfed butter. But we do usually buy the grassmilk which is about five bucks a half gallon, because it tastes so much better and a half gallon lasts us a week.

I have the FUT2 genes and it appears that I benefit from coconut oil or monolaurin as a supplement, We are on the fourth day of trying the monolaurin supplement and I am eerily regular instead of constipated. My gut feels much better. Coconut oil works too, but it is much more expensive, a bottle of sixty supplements will last the wife and I a month for ten bucks. We are also taking a small supplement of bromelain, that seems to keep inflammation down pretty well. We could get the monolaurin in a bigger pill, we take the three hundred MG which is the smallest and it seems to work fine. The cost of the bigger dose is the same, but we do not need the bigger dose.

Supplements only help if you have a deficiency or cannot create enzymes to properly take out the necessary chemistry. Since we cannot drink much milk, the monolaurin is a good alternative. My granddaughter comes over and drinks two glasses of our milk during the week usually, no problem, we would be tossing it out if she didn't.

I pee out a lot of salt and lots of minerals. I drink coffee, so that causes me to pee more too. I talked to someone who works with nutrition in dialasis, she works for a local dialasis company. She told me that there are many people getting dialasis because they pee out too much, they actually get minerals and electrolytes added in their mix. I just take a mineral pill and eat enough potassium and sodium. I like potatoes. Also, if your kidneys don't function correctly they cannot convert vitamin D to the active hormone she says, so potatoes contain the active hormone calcidiol already. In fact they have so much that they can cause calcification of soft tissue if you consume too much without the vitamin K2...which is found in real butter. Also salt will lower calcification of soft tissue, so adding real butter and some salt on your potatoes protects you from this.

Now, many of the people on dialasis will not benefit from what I am saying. But a few will. Low sodium just like high sodium retention which raises blood pressure too high will destroy the kidneys.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join