It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s Trade Pullout Roils Rural America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
SOURCE

“I’m scared to death,” said Ron Prestage, whose North Carolina-based family pork and poultry business made its huge investment in the plant near Eagle Grove in part to reap expected gains from the TPP.

Trump may be blowing the TPP Pull out according to this article.

In order for Trump’s TPP pullout to work he needed to move real fast on negotiating deals. Apparently he hasn’t done that

After the U.S. withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, other nations launch 27 separate negotiations to undercut U.S. exporters.

The rejection of TPP and NAFTA is fine but you have to do it smart not dumb, and according to this information Trump’s method of rejecting TPP is costing American businesses billions of dollars in deals.

A POLITICO analysis found that the 11 other TPP countries are now involved in a whopping 27 separate trade negotiations with each other, other major trading powers in the region like China and massive blocs like the EU. Those efforts range from exploratory conversations to deals already signed and awaiting ratification. Seven of the most significant deals for U.S. farmers were either launched or concluded in the five months since the United States withdrew from the TPP.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Its fine to get out of bad trade deals but you have to move swiftly to aid Americas vulnerable businesses.

Here are examples of the problems American businesses face since the pulling out of the TPP

On July 6, the EU, which already exports as much pork to Japan as the United States does, announced political agreement on a new deal that would give European pork farmers an advantage of up to $2 per pound over U.S.

European wine producers, who sold more than $1 billion to Japan between 2014 and 2016, would also see a 15 percent tariff on exports to Japan disappear while U.S. exporters would continue to face that duty at the border.

Tokyo decided within a matter of weeks to offer the European nations virtually the same agricultural access to its market that United States trade officials had spent two excruciating years extracting

The EU, which also recently inked a deal with Vietnam, is now moving forward with talks with Malaysia and is in the process of modernizing a pre-existing trade deal with Mexico.
Meanwhile, a bloc of four Latin-American countries—Mexico, Peru, Chile and Colombia, known as the Pacific Alliance—is quickly becoming the leading force for free trade in the region,

Australia's tariff advantage was boosted even more after Japan imposed an additional 11.5 percent tariff on imports of U.S. frozen beef on August 1. U.S. exports of the product had risen to a level of triggering a “safeguard” measure meant to protect domestic cattle producers. That tariff hike won't apply to Australia since it has a trade deal with Tokyo and wouldn't have applied to the United States if the TPP were in place.

Please read the article, it’s very revealing

SOURCE

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Anyone who was betting the farm on the TPP was hoping America would fail, IMO.

Sucks to be them...

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Pulling out of the TPP was definitely in the best interest of the country. With the Japan meat export example used, it is Japan that has the tariff, not us. Individual trade deals made rather than a lump sum trade deal will be much more beneficial.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I agree. But just getting out of the deal without doing quick moves in trade deals is dangerous. You have to move fast

Read the article
www.politico.com...

But despite Trump’s intense personal interest in trade, the White House has been slow to build the dream team of negotiators the president promised on the campaign trail. Lighthizer, who once served as a deputy U.S. trade representative under President Ronald Reagan, was confirmed on May 11. The people tapped to serve in the agency’s three deputy positions await confirmation, as does the administration’s pick for chief agriculture negotiator.
Iowa’s Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley says he thinks a trade deal with Japan would make up for much that was lost for agriculture by dropping TPP, but it will take “a lot more personnel, a lot more time to get it done, a lot more separate actions by Congress.”

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Ehh, I disagree. Moving fast is what caused obamacare. Individually tailored trade deals will be much more beneficial over time rather than rushing because it might be a slow couple years in a couple random sectors. If all Trump is able to do over the next 4-8 years is renegotiate trade deals to be more beneficial for the US I will consider him a successful president.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
And the rich just keep getting richer. No waiting for them.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Ehh, I disagree. Moving fast is what caused obamacare. Individually tailored trade deals will be much more beneficial over time rather than rushing because it might be a slow couple years in a couple random sectors. If all Trump is able to do over the next 4-8 years is renegotiate trade deals to be more beneficial for the US I will consider him a successful president.

Those businesses in Europe and Asia are moving fast to close deals. You can’t compare that to Obamacare.

Also, your point makes no sense since its Trump who moved fast to approve Trumpcare in a matter of weeks.

Obamacare took months, years to do with hearings.

They tried to jam Trumpcare through in a matter of weeks.

So your post makes no sense

edit on 7-8-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It was only a comparison as something that was rushed and severely flawed.

Is it better to rush trade deals so those pork and beef farmers don't lose revenue even if it costs us more overall in the little manufacturing sector we still have in this country?

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Bumping your own thread is bad form, just like complaining about the short-term in spite of the long term.
edit on 8/7/17 by Ksihkehe because: Mixed metaphors

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
SOURCE

“I’m scared to death,” said Ron Prestage, whose North Carolina-based family pork and poultry business made its huge investment in the plant near Eagle Grove in part to reap expected gains from the TPP.

Trump may be blowing the TPP Pull out according to this article.

In order for Trump’s TPP pullout to work he needed to move real fast on negotiating deals. Apparently he hasn’t done that

After the U.S. withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, other nations launch 27 separate negotiations to undercut U.S. exporters.

The rejection of TPP and NAFTA is fine but you have to do it smart not dumb, and according to this information Trump’s method of rejecting TPP is costing American businesses billions of dollars in deals.

A POLITICO analysis found that the 11 other TPP countries are now involved in a whopping 27 separate trade negotiations with each other, other major trading powers in the region like China and massive blocs like the EU. Those efforts range from exploratory conversations to deals already signed and awaiting ratification. Seven of the most significant deals for U.S. farmers were either launched or concluded in the five months since the United States withdrew from the TPP.

So... an American company was sold a bill of goods by those negotiating TPP... and now they're f**ked?

Oh well.

POTUS just might do more if Congress got off it's dead lazy a** and approved appointments that have been left unfilled because of deliberate obfuscation from people in government that have an axe to grind with Trump.

You see... the politics of revenge are FAR MORE important to the DNC and Mainstream Media, then the general well being of the nation. Power, money and reputation is more important to the Deep State.

They don't give a f**k about America or Americans... unless the optics need to look good so they can get more money and power.
edit on 7-8-2017 by dasman888 because: Zombie pill bugs

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Anyone who was betting the farm on the TPP was hoping America would fail, IMO.

Sucks to be them...

HERE HERE!

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So the blame is on Trump to get his guys nominated?

Sounds about par for the course.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Sounds like they violated the first law of animal husbandry, don't count your eggs before they're hatched.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Patience.

In the long run American farmers and businesses will come out ahead.

Way ahead.

I have zero sympathy for someone's "get rich quick" at the expense of America scheme failing.

The TPP is a bad deal for those still involved and in the long term the USA will stand on the ashes of the businesses that are regulated into oblivion.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I run a business.

If you were waiting on government anything to reap benefits from or save you from something. I hope you go out of business and look forward to laughing at you in the unemployment line.

Commerce with all Nations. Alliance with none.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I love when trumpets aren't sure if they are criticizing or praising Trump, and sort of turn on each other. like cannibalistic piranhas

Trump should pull out of the trade deals immediately, and if the health care bill is any indication of Trump knowing what the fork he is talking about, then America will truly be great again. Naga!

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Unfortunately, many (mostly Trump supporters) people think his repealing the ACA, withdraw from the Paris Accords, withdrawing from TPP, support for the Keystone pipeline, etc. are based on some super-human business strategy that Donald is following. It's not. Everything he is doing is being done to erase as much of Obama's legacy as he can. It's an alpha-dog pissing contest nothing more. There are no plans, there is no strategy. He's a rudderless clown in an expensive suit. Yea sure, get all panties-twisted. You'll see.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

China will gladly take your pork.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Plenty of typical conservative responses on this thread: People relied on our trade deals and may go under due to our President's recklessness? Oh well, too bad for them. I got mine. The TPP and NAFTA don't have any effect on me, but I'm fine with our withdrawal from them hurting American business (even though I am for American business).... WTF? Such arrogance.

Meanwhile the world replaces us. Trump has already lost our standing as leaders of the free world. That's Germany now. How much more damage can this moron do in one year of lunacy and ineptitude?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join