It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins' Berkeley event cancelled for 'Islamophobia'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'm well aware of the free speech movement, and I've also lived in Berkeley.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Read my signature.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

As I understand it, this isn't a University sponsored event, other than the venue? The station, which is not affiliated with the University in any way is the one sponsoring the event--or unsponsoring it now, I guess...

Now then..

Who am I supposed to be mad at again... I lose track. The University? Why? They've done nothing wrong. Dawkins? Why? He's an avowed atheist, he has little good to say about any religion, including Islam. Why the shock? The station? OK, for being a tad bit over reactive? I can buy that, I guess.

OK, I'm mad at the station. ...so I won't give them my money--not that I ever did.

People gettin' mad over silly things is getting, well, silly.

"De-platforming" someone because he has criticized a religion isn't silly at all. In fact, it is an injustice.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Thanks for the link.

I guess that's how people do things in Berkeley...or used to anyways.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I don't understand why some people expect a liberal atheist to give a free pass to only one religion.

He's a harsh critic on all the Abrahamic faiths. Some people...

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If only Mr. Dawkins was a trans, bi-gendered, Muslim, queer, otherkin, who's preferred pronoun was xer, speaking out against Christianity and the White problem.

Xer would be a beautiful, brave patriarchy fighting hero and might get an honorary degree from Berkley.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have made comments on atheism and its relation to Stalin, Mao and pol pot a few times and a section of atheists has responded
Muslims, Christians, atheists, they all have their little SJW enclaves who feel duty driven to,defend their ideologies

To be fair, at time Dawkins tends to go about arguing for a reaction as opposed to arguing for a reason. Controversy sells books

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

Lol, Dr.Steven Brule, you win sir, you win..

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Who's special group is ranked higher than the other on the leftest victim totem pole?

It's all about numbers with those guys. The minority will always trump. As soon as Islam surpasses Christianity in popularity these idiots will flip their script

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

The stations response is anger, is it not? That is silly. Richard Dawkins is the guys name, of course he's going to dog religion.

Why the station is shocked and angered is quite beyond me. What were they expecting?

Was it wrong? Of course it was.

This whole notion of taking deliberate offense is getting old. No one is forcing anyone to go listen to the guy. I happen to enjoy listening to him...I disagree more than I agree, but that's OK. Echo chambers get boring after a while.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Although some of his views are quite extreme, I enjoy listening to him as well. Very enlightening, regardless if you agree with him or not. My favorites are when he sits down and debates with the religious folks.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I thought Dawkins died a couple of years ago, guess I was wrong. See what I did there Mandela people? I acknowledged I had a faulty memory of something and did not attribute it to some crazy conspiracy theory.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

That was the actor/gameshow host...I think. He died in 2013, I think?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

His debate with Dennis Prager, at least I think it was Prager, was excellent. If you can find it, I think you'll enjoy it. I got the distinct impression that they both had a blast...

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: underwerks

Thanks for the link.

I guess that's how people do things in Berkeley...or used to anyways.

A lot of people on every side are more militant, especially in pressure cookers like Berkeley. And have been for a long time.

But the 1960's style people are still there too. Funny how we don't hear any stories about their activism..

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
liberals--only support speech they agree with

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Jiggly

You forgot the most important one -- all opposing views are considered hate.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I think out of all the videos I've seen of the protests and what not, I saw one:

I hope there are more.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Oh trust me there are many more.I am one of them.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
if you actually look at this logically there is only one conclusion you can make.
And that is islamic muslims are above all other humans ,as no -one not even a scientist who adhere's to no religion can
make a statement against them ,funny you can slate christians.

you cannot even draw a cartoon,this is a double standard and should not exist at all.

how can any real teacher believe this to be fair?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join