It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins' Berkeley event cancelled for 'Islamophobia'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Link

The best-selling author had been due to address an event hosted by KPFA Radio in Berkeley, California, in August.

Organisers accused him of "abusive speech against Islam" when scrapping his appearance, but he argues his criticism was not directed at Islam.

He called on the station to review his past remarks and apologise.

In a letter to ticket-holders, the publicly funded radio station wrote: "We had booked this event based entirely on his excellent new book on science, when we didn't know he had offended and hurt - in his tweets and other comments on Islam, so many people."

Muh feelingz..

He said harsh statements he has made in the past have been directed at "IslamISM" - apparently referring to those who use the religion for political objectives - and not adherents of the faith.

"I have criticised the appalling misogyny and homophobia of Islam, I have criticised the murdering of apostates for no crime other than their disbelief," Professor Dawkins writes.

He also pointed out that he has been a "frequent critic of Christianity but have never been de-platformed for that"

The plague of politically (in)correctness strikes yet again, ironically in the home of free speech, and the capital of the SJW movement, Berkeley California. Having said that, I don't think this is an issue of free speech (?), as it was a publicly funded radio station and they are entitled to do as they wish, but rather a great example of the devestating double standard from liberals -- mostly of the perpetual butt-hurt SJW flavor.

brush

Mr.Dawkin's has openly critisized Christianity many, many times, and apparently that's all fine and dandy, but mentioning Islam is a big fat no-no.. Many liberals will condemn illiberal views from Christian fundamentalist's, but will label others "Islamaphobic" for condemning similar views held by Muslims, and in the same vein, it's ok to make fun and ridicule Christianity, but when it comes to Islam, it's like "Whoa man, slow down there buddy, we gotta respect their religion"

Ha.. ha..

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Just strip Berkeley of their accreditation.

Their degrees will be as worthless as any other diploma mill.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I don't understand why people just don't go to these events, rather than try to shut them down.

They take life way too seriously for my liking.

+2 more 
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Who's special group is ranked higher than the other on the leftest victim totem pole?

+1 more 
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

I believe this is precisely what the real world will do with credentials coming from Berkeley!

These people have truly lost their minds, we shall look at Berkeley during these years as an example of how well social engineering works.

Honestly they are making history with their inability to critically think as far as colleges in the years 2000 goes.
edit on America/ChicagoMondayAmerica/Chicago07America/Chicago731pmMonday5 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
What part of "Dawkins is an atheist" do these people not understand? Of course, he's not going to be very complimentary to people of faith, any faith, not even Islam.

Seriously, this would be like me getting upset because some Muslim preached about Jesus only being a prophet and not the actual Messiah, son of God. Of course, that's what the Muslim will say because it's their faith, just like Dawkins won't be very complimentary of Islam because he isn't into faith.
edit on 24-7-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Because they have been plagued by 'PiC' (politically incorrectness), and believe it's the morally right thing to do.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

This is hilarious. The lib's eating their own. I feel horrible for all those beheaders, rapists, and murderers who were offended by Dr. Dawkins. The funniest thing is that these mop-heads will be the first to get beheaded once the the holy war hits the States.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Who's special group is ranked higher than the other on the leftest victim totem pole?

I'm not sure, but if 'feelings' is considered a group, that would definitely be at the top.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

The station, which is not affiliated with the University of California

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Local media report that Bay Area residents had brought attention to statements made by the author

Known as the home of the Free Speech moment in the 1960s, Berkeley has recently left that reputation in doubt as far-left protesters have sought to silence speakers and academics with whom they disagree.

You know good and well this is just the kind of thing Liberals at Berkely love to whine about and get a good 'ol "protest" going and shut down the "offending" speaker [ offending means anything They don't think anyone should hear. Isn't it nice that they filter what you get to see and hear for you? ] ANTIFA usually makes an appearance just to keep things interesting.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Local media report that Bay Area residents had brought attention to statements made by the author

Known as the home of the Free Speech moment in the 1960s, Berkeley has recently left that reputation in doubt as far-left protesters have sought to silence speakers and academics with whom they disagree.

You know good and well this is just the kind of thing Liberals at Berkely love to whine about and get a good 'ol "protest" going and shut down the "offending" speaker [ offending means anything They don't think anyone should hear. Isn't it nice that they filter what you get to see and hear for you? ] ANTIFA usually makes an appearance just to keep things interesting.

Of course this is how people do things in Berkeley, it's Berkeley. Forgive me for not being outraged at something liberal happening in Berkeley, California.

Though it is a good topic for conservatives to get each other worked up over.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Be tolerant of every thing the libs want you to, and if the lib doesn't like something-ban it.

Go ahead and have your little author do his little speech-they will burn the place to the ground. Liberal doctrine 101.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Berkley used to be a bastion and champion of free speech. Now it is the bastion and champion of censorship.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sighs. The Antifa seriously need to go away.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Exposing SJW's has become a great pastime. Outraged is quite a stretch, but thanks for participating underpants.. oops, I mean underwerks.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Exposing SJW's has become a great pastime. Outraged is quite a stretch, but thanks for participating underpants.. oops, I mean underwerks.

Outraged isn't a stretch at all given your wording in the OP amd the first few posters.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Of course this is how people do things in Berkeley, it's Berkeley. Forgive me for not being outraged at something liberal happening in Berkeley, California.

Though it is a good topic for conservatives to get each other worked up over.

Free Speech Movement

link   
As I understand it, this isn't a University sponsored event, other than the venue? The station, which is not affiliated with the University in any way is the one sponsoring the event--or unsponsoring it now, I guess...

Now then..

Who am I supposed to be mad at again... I lose track. The University? Why? They've done nothing wrong. Dawkins? Why? He's an avowed atheist, he has little good to say about any religion, including Islam. Why the shock? The station? OK, for being a tad bit over reactive? I can buy that, I guess.

OK, I'm mad at the station. ...so I won't give them my money--not that I ever did.

People gettin' mad over silly things is getting, well, silly.

link   
Richard Dawkins is equally critical of all religions so it seems a bit hypocritical to book him knowing that (because that's what he's known for) and then canceling on the grounds of a certain religion being criticized.

Why would they book him to speak when they knew religion would most likely come up at one point or another? Seems pretty dumb in my opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join