It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Sense: Why So Uncommon?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   

The word “sense” is defined as “accurate appreciation,” “understanding,” and “practical wisdom or judgement.” It implies that a person has the ability to judge and decide with intelligence. Common sense evidently requires that we use thinking ability. Many people would rather let others do their thinking for them. They allow the media, their peers, or popular opinion to make decisions for them.

Common sense seems to be so lacking in today’s world that an observant man once noted, ‘Common sense, in truth, is very uncommon.’
Learning from our mistakes, however, calls for humility and meekness. The self-assuming, haughty, and headstrong spirit of people in these last days is not a manifestation of common sense.—2 Timothy 3:1-5.

Source: Common Sense—Why So Uncommon?

Where is common sense to be found on ATS? Where is logic? The rarity of it on ATS (in particular the forums about religion&theology, philosophy&metaphysics, our origin and conspiracies) is more blatantly 'in my face' than I ever could have expected it from merely reading the descriptions of it in the bible such as the one at 2 Timothy 3:1-5 (almost as if some people really want to rub it in that they simply don't care about honest coherent thinking or arguing):

But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.

ATS commentary is high on my personal collection of evidence for the reliability and trustworthiness of the bible when it comes to describing the activities and behaviour of Satan and his victims. My observations on ATS just fit too well to ignore and not wonder the question:

Is there anyone on ATS commenting that can notice this as well in the same manner that I'm noticing it? That's not to say this awareness is completely non-existent by the users of ATS, I know of at least 1 person making sense on this forum on a somewhat regular basis. Take for example the part that says "not open to any agreement" and "having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power". I keep on running into evidence for these behavioural patterns. If you could see what I'm seeing, you'de be 100% convinced as well that the bible always gets it right when it comes to humans and in particular human behaviour. It's both mildly saddening* and awe-inspiring* at the same time. (1st *: considering humanity's situation; 2nd*: considering the bible's Divine authorship, reliability and trustworthiness). The following text also really gains momentum or prominence in my mind when spending more time on ATS, Eccl. 1:17,18:

17 I applied my heart to knowing wisdom and to knowing madness* [Or “extreme foolishness.”] and to knowing folly, and this too is a chasing after the wind.

18 For an abundance of wisdom brings an abundance of frustration,

So that whoever increases knowledge increases pain.

edit on 24-7-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

So you are lecturing us on common sense whilst quoting Bible verses?

SMH

edit on 2017/7/24 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
I don't expect to do much lecturing on a rant forum, or it to have that effect. But I don''t mind if anyone picks something up from me expressing some of my feelings regarding ATS commentary and how they provide evidence for the Divine authorship, reliability and trustwothiness of the bible for me:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Common sense refers to judgements and assumptions that are acquired as part of the collective beliefs and values.

It means not thinking, in other words. It means leaning upon your education and conditioning of your community.

Yes, religion often is a vehicle for collective judgements and values, but so are other aspects of culture and society (like the media, music and art....).

But you can be sure of less common sense in an individualist society, where people are encouraged to question preconceived ideas and use critical thought instead.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

But I don''t mind if anyone picks something up from me expressing some of my feelings regarding ATS commentary and how they provide evidence for the Divine authorship, reliability and trustwothiness of the bible for me:

So, affirmation before information? As long is it confirms what you believe, it's fine? "Faith" is believing in something with no proof. How is that common sense?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
Here's something more up your alley to contemplate than wasting time and space on twisting the meaning of the word "faith":

Psychology: Dawkins&Krauss selling the philosophy and contradiction that nothing is something

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
By reading your first line you a truly blind. Common sense is lost amongst us all. All ages and races from all the corners of the globe. We have become a very dull species. Though we are not without our quirks

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Thomas Paine is in agony.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Common 'senses' are sight, smell, hearing, touch, everyone can agree on those. The not so common sense is like reason or judgement.

Being able to discern what the reasonable, correct thing to do is, is not so common anymore. I don't mean when to step on the brakes or stop before you walk off a cliff either.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

It's ironic that you post about "common sense" and "intelligence", then link to religion.

Let's see about your religion and "common sense", shall we?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him. Proverbs 26:12

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. James 1:26

The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult. Proverbs 12:16

Shall I go on??

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Plus one to anyone pointing out the hipicracy of bringing religion into the argument FOR common sense.

You want common sense? Pay attention to your day today. Every single thing you do, use, or see.

Think on how those practices came to be.

Think on how those tools were made, and how the resources they were made with came to be.

Think about how the things you see were made, what they were made with, and the sheer force that went into making their tools, and resources.

Common sense says we should all be living in the trees- or in caves.
Here I sit in a concrete and wooden structure, at a table, in a chair, using my magical battery operated internet capable planetary communication device to explain common sense.

What a mess we've found ourselves in.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

So you are lecturing us on common sense whilst quoting Bible verses?

SMH

Damn, you beat me to it.

But to discuss the title of the OP, "common sense" is uncommon because education teaches only memorization for tests (not applicability of concepts), and there are minimal life skills taught or learned anymore than contribute to the understanding of "common sense."

"Common sense" only existed at one time out of necessity for how one lived one's life. Now that everyone plays around on ATS (
) and stares at screens all day, we're losing that part of our intelligence.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

My definition of faith is just fine and fits quite well with religion. Did I hit a nerve? You seem a bit peeved with anyone who doesn't agree with you.

faith fāTH/Submit noun
1. complete trust or confidence in someone or something. "this restores one's faith in politicians" synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction; More
2. strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Common sense is rarer than steak tartar.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
Common sense refers to judgements and assumptions that are acquired as part of the collective beliefs and values.

It means not thinking, in other words. It means leaning upon your education and conditioning of your community.

Yes, religion often is a vehicle for collective judgements and values, but so are other aspects of culture and society (like the media, music and art....).

But you can be sure of less common sense in an individualist society, where people are encouraged to question preconceived ideas and use critical thought instead.

I don't normally quote whole posts. I will make an exception in this case, because:

Yes! Yes! You nailed it! In words that are much better than I could have.

I was going to comment on the OPs use of "Many people would rather let others do their thinking for them. They allow the media, their peers, or popular opinion to make decisions for them." by stating that sometimes a person hears words spoken that resonate to their own feelings and thoughts, and exclaim:

That's it! That's what I think! And those are the words that explain it!

And that is what I exclaimed just now about your post.

Thank you.
edit on 24-7-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

because people are lazy. some just plain stupid.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

your common sense says you should give up your home for a tree? you are in a bigger mess than you thought maybe?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Hey, we were told this would happen. Common sense isn't what it used to be, for certain.

As for the "why"; careful programming, through the media and education system, changes in the food supply, spiritual decay, all of the above?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamonlyhuman

Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes?...

Quite a few actually. I've noticed they're usually not asking or demonstrating that they're searching for knowledge or sensible commentary with beneficial teachings (rather than trivialities). What's the point of a search if you think you already know enough and have the wisdom to put that knowledge to good use?

They usually don't refer to the bible when intentionally leaving subtle hints of their own demonstration of a lack of wisdom either.

Anyway, the main topic of the OP was my observations of the lack of common sense demonstrated in a majority of the commentary that I read and the effect it has on my trust in the bible's reliability of describing this phenomenon (in this case as observed on ATS). As well as perhaps* the question it raises in my mind whether anyone else can notice it, or something like it as well.

*: allthough that was more of a remark on the side that my observations raise that question for me, it's a rant forum after all; not sure if I can count it as a genuine question when already having a pretty good feeling what the answer for most people who would reply to that part of the OP would be, but if there's anyone out there who is making similar observations and connections, don't hold back. I'd love to hear your views, feelings and opinions about it. Here's another one that I'm observing quite a lot on ATS (especially in a forum that I rarely visit, the one about aliens and UFO's, but also the forums previously mentioned in the OP), 2 Timothy 4:3,4:

3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome* teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.* 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.

1st *: Or “healthful; beneficial.”
2nd *: Or “to tell them what they want to hear.”

To the point where I'm also observing a lack of common sense in defense of these false stories/myths. Such as evolutionary myths or the myth that God is a Trinity, both coming from or passing through the same general area (or adjacent areas, religious philosophies spread fast, far and wide) and having similar Pagan religious roots and other connections in ways of thinking or philosophers that were promoting both sets of mythology (such as Plato and Aristotle).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join