It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of children being referred to gender identity clinics has quadrupled in five years

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Hi Annee! I'm here as your reinforcement.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: AMPTAH

Exactly.

Who invented the dress? Are baby girls born with the knowledge of dresses being instinctively for girls? Obviously not, so how does a 3 year old boy know that dresses makes him a girl? Or dolls for that matter? Make up and heels?

We aren't born with preconceived notions as to what is male or female. SOCIETY has already set it for us.

I wasn't major on the gender differences until I had a grandson (I had girls).

Believe me, they're different. And not from any social conditioning.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Hi Annee! I'm here as your reinforcement.

LOL

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yeah, boys and girls are different, but the notion that dresses are feminine and not masculine is a purely societal convention. Let's take a look at the kilt for an example.

Give boys Barbies to play with and what defines the play isn't that they're playing with Barbies, but *how* they play with them. Boys will typically turn their Barbies into versions of toy soldiers. Give girls cars and trucks to play with the girls are more likely to figure out how to play some version of a nurturing game with them (i.e. turn them into "babies" somehow).

My son tromped around the house in both my shoes and my husband's because he was playing at being us, and not for one second did I make the mistake of thinking he was gender confused.

He wanted a toy shopping cart too, but that's because when we go shopping, my husband typically pushes the cart while I pull stuff off the shelves and keep the calculator tally. He is mimicking daddy. He sees daddy do a lot of cooking, so he pretends to cook. Someone on the outside looking in might think he's engaging in girl play since those are toys typically found in the girl aisle, but he's really playing at being daddy when he does those things.

But we tell him there are no "boy" activities or "girl" activities, only activities, and he can do what interests him. It's only society that thinks this or that is "male" or "female" because more boys do it or more girls do.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah, boys and girls are different, but the notion that dresses are feminine and not masculine is a purely societal convention. Let's take a look at the kilt for an example.

NO, not gonna waste my time on this nit picking.

You wanna make a dress a metaphor - - then go ahead. I don't need a history on dresses.

What I did discover is - - boys are so into their body functions. They fart, burp, talk about poop. It's really kinda funny.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
. . . these kids would never even consider this crap unless it was brought up first.

You're wrong.

Just like many kids knew at an early age they were gay - - so do transgender kids know their brain gender does not match their physical body.

Sexuality understanding begins around age 3. Look it up.

You make the claim, provide the source.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I'm not disagreeing with you, my question is - if we aren't born with instinctive knowledge of what it means to be a boy or girl, how can a boy that likes to wear dresses and play with dolls mean that it might be because he is a girl (both inventions and not instinctively set to a gender)

What instinctive types of behavior can a boy exhibit to show that he might be suffering from dysphoria? He doesn't understand the human anatomy yet, so it's impossible to say he feels like he should have a vagina.

So what is it then?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I wonder if any studies have been done world wide?
Im curious to know if the number of gender confused children in other countries is similar to the USA? It would be an interesting comparison to see how all the other nations stacked up to the US.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Just a side note, growing up I played with Barbie dolls with my sister, I was obsessed to the point where I would cry if I wasn't allowed to play with her. I remember dressing them up with different dresses and high heels. I'd also play house and dress up in real life with her and her friends, tea parties, etc etc. Not once did "Genders" ever pop in my head, let alone did I ever question my own gender. The idea was pretty much non existent in my reality.

But of course I grew out of it. I wonder, had I been born into this society, being open to the knowledge of all these genders, would it had affected me to the point where I would question my own and maybe even force it to fit in just so I could play with them?

How would I know if I'm suffering from dysphoria or not? I didn't understand anatomy or anything about genders. What could I be confused about?

"Oh mommy I just don't feel right" ?

edit on 10-7-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I understand your point about dressing being invented in society. We can look at the history of transgenderism. For example there was a thread here on a transgender warrior discovered from thousands of years ago. Naturally they didn't have the same clothing we have so naturally (as per evolution) men would be the hunters and warriors and women stay and do "woman's" duties. This warrior expressed the desire to be a warrior.
I have mentioned lesbians who look and act like men earlier. That behavior is ingrained since birth without society's help.
Also children at a early age will recognize other children of the opposite sex and learn about anatomy.
It made me think of two things:
What happens if a transgender child is born in a woman only society (like the Amazons)?
What about the transgender children at the nudist colonies or in tribes in Africa and South America? They don't wear clothes.

link   

originally posted by: coop039
Im curious to know if the number of gender confused children in other countries is similar to the USA? It would be an interesting comparison to see how all the other nations stacked up to the US.

The US is the origin of these things. It's the nation where all the diversions begin.

Since the USA is "ground zero" for this viral thought, there will always be more confused children here than anywhere else.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

The US is the origin of these things. It's the nation where all the diversions begin.

Since the USA is "ground zero" for this viral thought, there will always be more confused children here than anywhere else.

Transgenderism has been here throughout history. It is not a recent phenomenon.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

Charlie Parkhurst

Charley Darkey Parkhurst, born Charlotte Darkey Parkhurst (1812–1879), also known as One Eyed Charley or Six-Horse Charley, was an American stagecoach driver, farmer and rancher in California. Born and reared as a girl in New England, mostly in an orphanage, Parkhurst ran away as a youth, taking the name Charley and living as a male. He started work as a stable hand and learned to handle horses, including to drive coaches drawn by multiple horses. He worked in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, traveling to Georgia for associated work. In his late 30s, Parkhurst sailed to California following the Gold Rush in 1849; there he became a noted stagecoach driver. In 1868, he may have been the first transgender person to vote in a presidential election in California. At his death, it was discovered that he was designated female at birth, as was the fact that he had given birth at an earlier time.en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I wasn't there throughout history, so I wouldn't know.

But, there are many stories of women dressing and passing themselves off as men, to gain the advantages that men had in society. This was clearly a "disguise" to empower themselves, and nothing to do with modern "transgender-ism."

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
. . . these kids would never even consider this crap unless it was brought up first.

You're wrong.

Just like many kids knew at an early age they were gay - - so do transgender kids know their brain gender does not match their physical body.

Sexuality understanding begins around age 3. Look it up.

You make the claim, provide the source.

Feel free to research the multitude of LGBT threads I have participated in the last 10 years.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

What the heck is "modern transgender-ism"? Are you saying transgender people never existed prior to the US despite evidence?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I have a trans child so I'm aware of the process. I'm more referring to this new trend of parents refusing to put a gender on the birth certificate saying it's so the child can make their own decisions later in life. Do you not agree that doing so is only going to cause confusion in that child? Do you not think the child is going to do what he/she feels is going to make the parents happy? Or will he/she do what makes them happy?

To me, parents doing this are doing so for their own happiness, not the child's.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Dressing as a man and living as a man, are -- of course-- the same thing 😑

Justification.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

In case you missed it above, I'm curious to know your thoughts since you claim to be highly educated on the matter.

I'm not disagreeing with you, my question is - if we aren't born with instinctive knowledge of what it means to be a boy or girl, how can a boy that likes to wear dresses and play with dolls mean that it might be because he is a girl (both inventions and not instinctively set to a gender) 

What instinctive types of behavior can a boy exhibit to show that he might be suffering from dysphoria? He doesn't understand the human anatomy yet, so it's impossible to say he feels like he should have a vagina. 

So what is it then?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Simon_Boudreaux

Being 70 -- I went through the eras of "refuse to pay taxes", women's rights, hippie freedom, we don't need birth certs, etc etc.

We live in an organized society of documentation and paper trails.

Kids from the "no birth certs" hippies ran into multiple difficulties.

So, NO -- I do not support no gender on a birth cert.

HOWEVER, it needs to be easier to change/correct important documents when a person desires it.

Also, I support the document change of father & mother to -- parent/guardian.

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join