It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SR-71 getting a make over

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: PhantomTwo

They weren't as successful as they hoped, but they had a number of flights that gave them quite a bit of data. They had at least 3 I think it was that lasted into the 8 minute mark.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
When I was in Junior High and younger, I remember reading all of my fathers pop-sci magazines and for awhile there was a ton of articles covering wave-rider SSTO's, mostly in regards to a lifting body for future space programs, but I have found one article about a hypersonic bomber (February, 2000.) Crazy how that article is dead on about the lsrb almost 20 years ago.

There's even an article from November 88' that talks about wind tunnel testing, at mach 5, the NASA Allbody. That's almost 30 years ago. The Allbody was a wave-rider like the x-51 right?? The article goes in to some detail as well about the fuel needed for a mach 5 aircraft. Among other interesting things they discuss using liquid methane as a fuel source which would make an efficient heat sink or, a combination of fuel I cant pronounce, that with the right catalyst could both easily burn. Is that the TIB that we heard so much about in another large thread? Pretty cool that all of that was written 30 years ago and they are basically discussing the Blackswift. The saying is, that the black world is 25-30 years ahead of the white world right? I think the SR-71 was white/gray at that time. Crazy to think about. I would put up links but I don't know how to link to the archive at pop-sci or how to post a screenshot.

Also cool how much stuff interesting stuff pops up in those science rags for the "nerds" that then just kind of disappears for awhile...
edit on 4-7-2017 by Jacksonsman1 because: minor edit about the sr-71 being more white/gray

edit on 4-7-2017 by Jacksonsman1 because: grammar edit

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Jacksonsman1

All they are going to do is bring some Blact Dorito tech out and merge it with the new program to achieve mach 5 by making a window for the craft to fly into where no air resistance is.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I mean this doesn't even get in to the black dorito tech that you're talking about (which, to be honest, I'm still not sure what exactly that is). This seems to be linear advancement from the sr-71, with something of at least a 50 year gap between the two projects. Now I get with increases in speed comes exponential increases in power but it seems computer shaping of planforms could account for this at least back to 88' when that article in pop-sci was written and we had, at least some of the tech to deal with the other issues. and in the 30 years since then we had that tech go from white world as per intelgurls timeline then back to black and now being released again. Just doesn't add up to me. There was nothing in between?? With exponential growth in computing power and other advancements?? Or conversely, is this the in-between and we are in all actuality way ahead of this stuff? I think a lot of the people that frequent this part of ATS probably know that though. Just seems a little weird...

Once again, I could be way off on a lot of this and probably am ha. The fourth of July celebrations have me feeling a bit feisty...

To be fair to the MIC, I should probably take a deeper look in to some of the X projects and see some of the troubles that were encountered along this path. Probably a lot of information I'm missing there.
edit on 5-7-2017 by Jacksonsman1 because: For Fair-ness

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ah right I'd wondered if this was a carry on of blackswift especially after reading intelgurls thread she made a few years ago.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Jacksonsman1

The abstract I read back in the 60's was talking about a supersonic plane that was already flying by then.
The windshield sealing problem was apparently solved with a technology like S-Bond.
Some of the development concepts probably traced back to the era of the Horton brothers in Germany.
My grandmother caught me reading the abstract and seemed concerned.
I told her I was looking for the sequel to green eggs and ham and had taken a quick look at the abstract because it was about the same thickness.
I'm not sure what my grandmother was doing with Lockheed documentation.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Green Lady is a civil girl i think.ADVENT is for larger airframes I thought.Im waiting to see where Magjet goes.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It would be interesting to see what's been flying near NoKo. With all the talk of a possible strike and the recent missile launch I would bet $ to dougnuts there is cool stuff flying

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

I would bet on some types of stealth UAV recons circling overhead currently.

My real question is what would happen if a strike did occur? I think we may see something new in that event. Wouldn't be surprised to see some type of DEW, Lazer/New Anti-ballistic missile tech, etc. be put to use. North Korea isn't a real threat to the US, but I'm sure they would do all they could to prevent retaliatory strikes/shelling South Korea.

I doubt it would be public, but someone may get lucky and get a few hints.

~Winter~

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Winterpain

NoKo's real threat would be its artillery, we would need to take all or very close to all of it in the first strike then head for the nuclear and command posts.

I've seen small black triangles doing what looked liked surveillance in my city when they presidental candidates were in my city.

I am sure those types of platforms are over there right now marking all the artillery and command posts. If some of the speculated weapon systems are really fully operational then we would make quick work of NoKo nuclear program, and easily target their artillery by now

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: Winterpain

NoKo's real threat would be its artillery, we would need to take all or very close to all of it in the first strike then head for the nuclear and command posts.

I've seen small black triangles doing what looked liked surveillance in my city when they presidental candidates were in my city.

I am sure those types of platforms are over there right now marking all the artillery and command posts. If some of the speculated weapon systems are really fully operational then we would make quick work of NoKo nuclear program, and easily target their artillery by now

I think if a shooting war broke out we'd all be disappointed in the reality of what we can deploy. Americans in general assume we have some technological marvels protecting us but what if it's just a lot of lab work & huge amounts of wasted resources with nothing tangible or usable to show for it due to our busted procurement system & 'near full term' aborted projects.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I love the SR-71 in my opinion pretty much the coolest "known" aircraft ever. Apologies for asking a stupid question but I have always wondered......why given its success was it withdrawn from service? Was satellite tech that advanced it was no longer needed? Or was there an upgrade that's still black? Or something else?

Bob

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
It would be interesting to see what's been flying near NoKo. With all the talk of a possible strike and the recent missile launch I would bet $ to dougnuts there is cool stuff flying

Well if NK is going to play the role of nuclear war provocateur then they should reap some of Mephistopheles' rewards at least temporarily.

You need to ask the question whats in it for NK, they certainly are not getting any benefits from the sanctions.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

There have been several successors to the sr71. All black.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

The official reason was that it was getting too expensive, and satellites could do the same mission as effectively, which is BS.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Hang out in antelope valley one evening. Wednesday through friday is good. You might be surprised

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Just googled sr72 and a tyler rogaway article came up....so i read it.

Am i the only one who wants throw up after reading any one of his articles?

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Hang out in antelope valley one evening. Wednesday through friday is good. You might be surprised

O give me a home...where the buffalo roam....and the secret aircraft come flying by each day...

edit on 17000000pppm by yuppa because: corrected for bassplayer. love ya.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Technical where the pronghorn roam. America doesnt have any antelope except in zoos. Same with buffalo. We have bison though.

I was hoping the thread was about a refurbished for display sr71 and would have pretty pictures. Instead i get to go to the science museam in los angeles and see a A12 covered in bird poop. Shes still beautiful but its sad to see her in that state. Sadder that few stop to gander at her.

I wonder if i can get a job cleaning her up once a week. Seems like nobody bothers to. Heck id do it for free. Is there a prefered method for washing down a black bird. Are certain soaps or detergents no nos because they do something to the paint.

Well at least nobodies graffitied on her yet. Although i think thsts just a matter of time. They do have her parked in a bad neighborhood.
edit on 5-7-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

No.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join