It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SR-71 getting a make over

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Jacksonsman1

They are unrelated, except for some of the technology that migrated. They've been working multiple paths to high speed for many years. They recently completed the HiFire program in Australia, and have had at least four hypersonic programs in the last 20 odd years.

Speed has been the holy grail that everyone has been chasing since 1947. They've found a few different ways to do it, using different shapes and engines.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

This is awesome Zaphod! Thank you and clears up my head quite a bit. I had been trying to draw an organic line between the two and it wasn't adding up to me at all.

I believe I looked in to HiFire before, but excited to put my peepers on that again.

Also, I remember you talking about the 8-minute mark in regard to the smaller tech demonstrators, how might that obstacle be overcome in a much larger platform. Seems like scaling up, you would only exacerbate the problems faced by the smaller x-51

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

New materials, and a couple technologies that have matured over the last 5-7 years. There are a couple new high temperature ceramics that are showing a lot of promise.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Thanks again!
So this is a more straight forward approach to the idea of speed then, ie. better building materials, improved engine design and construction, as opposed to some of the more exotic ways to reach high speed that have been discussed in other threads? Awesome info friend!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

There may be a few tricks up their sleeve, but a lot of it is improvements to existing technologies that they finally figured out. Logical progressions of other technologies.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I think if you ask the ten most prolific posters in all these threads you'll get ten different answers about the specific relation between the SR-71, Blackswift, and SR-72. At least one poster is knowledgeable. I wouldn't pay much attention to anyone dropping generic hints about electromagnetic quasicrystal nanomaterial laser wakefield antimatter propulsion.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

That's what I was having a hard time with, this seems like a logical progression of existing technology and I couldn't rationalize it with some of the more exotic tech we sometimes hear or talk about. Also, I'm battling an inner desire to see some of that more exotic tech put to use, so while this is awesome to see and I'm more than excited, I am a little bummed we're not seeing more of the bleeding edge.

With the rapid advancements of all other areas of technology, it seems to me that we should be a bit further along ( and I don't doubt that we are) in the white world with airplane tech. We don't have a public space program, the "fastest airplane" in the world has been retired for 20 odd years, there doesn't seem to be much to inspire the younger generation to dream or be proud of like I was, so I get a little bummed out. Now I need to go mow the yard haha. I'll pretend I'm a kid again and dream of spaceships, sr-71's, b2's, giant space stations, and space elevators to distract me from the heat.

Thanks again Zaphod!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: wirehead

Hahaha that's what confuses the *blank* out of me.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

If you follow aviation through the decades, it reaches plateaus and sits there for a bit. Most of the previous plateaus had a big jump ahead of them still (prop driven to jet for example). We're on one of those plateaus now, but we're much closer to the limits of our technology than ever before.

There's a lot of bleeding edge being incorporated into new designs, but they're systems. We're not going to see a huge advancement in EW, simply because a new jammer is going to look like the previous one.

When the B-21 rendering was revealed, people almost lost their minds, because it was "B-2 2.0" and we were paying billions to "get a plane we already have". There's a lot about the B-21 that is beyond amazing. The RCS figures (and no I'm not telling) are, to fanboy for a moment, freaking incredible. But because it doesn't look like a space ship and go Mach 4, a lot of people wrote it off. And I've got fairly good confirmation some of the on-board systems would blow you away.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I hear you, growing up when I did was a great time to be a kid in love with aviation to say the least! I was not bummed by the B-21 however. She looks like a very sweet bird and your enthusiasm for her has been infectious. Can't wait to see her on the tarmac, let alone in the air!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

There are some black world aircraft I'd sell someone's left arm to see. And I hope to hell I'm still around when the next leap is made, but for now, follow the systems. There are a few in development in the white world that will lead to more interesting things.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Ha! How's this for timing? After I said that I came across an article about the B-21 CDR. It included this tidbit:

While many observers have pointed out that the Air Force’s released “image” of the B-21 resembles a B-2 in many respects, service leaders have been both clear and very “general” about the fact that the B-21 consists of many not-yet-seen technologies. Some observers have said that the Air Force image of the B-21 shows a fuselage without visible exhaust pipes like those seen on a B-2. This could mean absolutely nothing -- or it could be early evidence of next-generation heat-suppression technology designed to remove a stealth aircraft’s detectability by eliminating its radar and heat signature.

www.scout.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Would the B21 work in well with Wichita etc?

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

As far as I know there wasn't any full-scale replacement. Term full-scale can be meant in many different ways by different people. I would tell that there was at least one -71 replacement built in several copies(more than 3 and closer to 10 copies of the type) that was operational but as I understood it- it was a technology demonstrator, sorta like YF-22 or YF-16. From what I've gathered together it was operational from at least mid-90s..

SR-72 isn't direct replacement for -71.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
How funny!! Think it's probably safe to say that we won't be see her backside for a long while ha.

a reply to: SpeedFanatic
Thanks SpeedFanatic!!!

Very Interesting stuff!

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: DrBobH

There have been several successors to the sr71. All black.

I know about one type. Can you give some tidbits?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join