It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Atlantic Hurricane Watch 2017

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The upcoming 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season starts June 1st and goes thru November 30th.

Forcasters are predicting a 45% chance of an above normal season.

Here is the 2017 names for storms.

Below I am adding some links for everyone to check out.

If you have any links you would like to add, Please do.

The more prepared Folks are, the better they are able to take care of themselves, and also to help others.

www.noaa.gov...

edit on 31-5-2017 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

weather.com...

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

www.wunderground.com...

edit on 31-5-2017 by crappiekat because: sp, to add links

From the previous threads:
Here are a few helpful links from the the past:

Tropical Weather & Hurricanes page @ Weather Underground
Hurricane Central @The Weather Channel
National Hurricane Center Satellite page
Hurricane supply kit
FEMAs hurricane links

Link to 2014-2016
Link to 2013
Link to 2012
Link to 2011
edit on Fri Jun 2 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
As someone who lives along the Gulf Coast I thank you for providing this.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Thanks.
I live just north of Cape Hatteras on the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.
It's been a very wet May but April was dry.
Spring rains can determine how many trees go down in the wind. The more saturated the ground the more that go root up. Just pull right out of the soil.
Usually April is wet and May dries out but it's reversed this year and we've been having torrential rain at least once a week for a month. I hope the storms stay out to sea. Even a tropical depression has strong enough winds to take down the big trees.
Which leads to down wires and isolated people without power and in some cases water if they have a well.
Anyway....
I do love the ones that are fierce but not brutal. The force of nature is awesome to see. Fans of thunderstorms know what I mean. I go down to the beach to watch the water and get sand blasted in the process. Or I sit on the porch and watch rain come down in horizontal sheets that leave patterns in the roadway as they pass. Watching trees bend and shake like sentient lifeforms.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

Yes. I feel you.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

Couldn't get the old one edited, eh?

That's cool, great job on this one!

Some links from the previous thread:

Hurricane supply kit
FEMAs hurricane links

Link to 2013 Thread
Link to 2012 Thread
Link to 2011 Thread

I would also suggest one read through The Redneck's thread: 14 hours in Hell, 4 days to Home on what can happen in severe weather and how it can be dealt with.

If it isn't mentioned in the above linked references, make sure you have a way to charge your cell phone/lap top batteries. If you don't have a generator, buy yourself a couple of power inverters and you can use your vehicle as a generator for a bit if need be.

I grew up in the Texas gulf coast, family's been here since the late 1800's after come through Ellis island from Italy, so we've seen our share of storms over the years.

Great thread, let's hope it sees little activity.
edit on 31-5-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Forcasters are predicting a 45% chance of an above normal season.

Safe enough prediction isn't it? They didn't say 50 percent because then people would know they were going off a coin toss.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Charleston, SC here. I thought we were always prepared.....until Matthew paid us a little visit last October. Learned a thing or two, so hopefully we are better prepared.

Stay safe all!

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Dont buy bags of ice. They melt in a day.

Get out all your plastic tupperware containers and make bars / blocks of ice. Start about 4-5 days out and keep rocking em. Just dont fill the containers over half full or the water swells up and breaks the tubs.

A coolers stuft with blocks/bars last up to a week.
edit on 31-5-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Thank you and Bright Blessings

Des

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hurricane forecast predictions year after year are never even remotely close to being accurate. One of the most inaccurate ones I can recall from recent memory was 2 years ago where NOAA stated the Atlantic basin was going to produce a high number of named storms while the Pacific basin would remain relatively calm. 100% wrong. The complete opposite occurred.

And as recently as last year NOAA stated the Atlantic basin was about to enter into a 25 year period of low activity. I watch storms during the season on a regular basis as I have interests that are affected by hurricanes. I saw more BS come from NOAA last year than I can ever remember. False reporting of projected storm severity, false reporting of actual wind strengths while I'm looking at live readings from private sensors, and on and on.

NOAA is a joke. Their forecast models are a joke. Their "science" is a joke. NOAA is one of the best fake news outlets there is during hurricane season.
edit on 31-5-2017 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

NOAA is a joke. Their forecast models are a joke. Their "science" is a joke. NOAA is one of the best fake news outlets there is during hurricane season.
Some of their datasets are good, just don't rely upon them for any interpretations.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Thanks jaded,

I wanted to do this because I truly believe we can help others.

I remember reading TheRednecks story. Thanks for posting that.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

Some of their datasets are good, just don't rely upon them for any interpretations.

I've physically recorded in real time the same data sets and seen NOAA post completely different data. They lie.

NOAA is an agency within the US Dept of Commerce whose sole job is to promote economic growth. There is a hidden agenda to NOAA data sets.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Thank you Destiny.

I really hope that this thread will stay on the serious side.

We have some really smart folks here at ATS, and I hope they join this conversation to help other learn, and help keep people safe.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Dont buy bags of ice. They melt in a day.

Get out all your plastic tupperware containers and make bars / blocks of ice. Start about 4-5 days out and keep rocking em. Just dont fill the containers over half full or the water swells up and breaks the tubs.

A coolers stuft with blocks/bars last up to a week.

Great suggestion.

We do that when we travel and bring our own food.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat
a reply to: Destinyone

Thank you Destiny.

I really hope that this thread will stay on the serious side.

We have some really smart folks here at ATS, and I hope they join this conversation to help other learn, and help keep people safe.

My comments are VERY serious. Would you rather be mislead or be informed? What value is there in erroneous predictions? Do the research. NOAA hasn't a clue how many storms will be produced nor of what strength the storms will be.

Just know your evacuation routes and have the sense to leave early and not at the last minute if things look they will turn for the worst. Leave for higher elevations with 5 days of food and water and some extra gas you carry with you in the event gas stations are shut down or out of fuel.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Thank you Outlier.

Your suggestions are just what we need to remind folks about.

It's the little things we overlook that can really get us into trouble.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat

Thank you Outlier.

Your suggestions are just what we need to remind folks about.

It's the little things we overlook that can really get us into trouble.

No worries. The number one thing that gets people stuck is deciding to leave at the last minute. I've seen evacuation routes become log jams of cars. If I think the probability of evacuation is high I will typically reserve a room at a distant hotel out of the danger zone at least 4 days in advance. The advantage of this is I can still cancel up to 24 hours before arrival and not be charged yet I am assured of having a place to stay if needed. Beats sleeping in the car at a creepy rest stop.

Too many times people who leave at the last minute will travel out of the danger zone only to find not a single hotel room is available.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
noticed the solar shield kw its 0.379225kws use to be 35

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: syclone
noticed the solar shield kw its 0.379225kws use to be 35

Hi syclone.

I must be dense today. Could you give me a link or explain what you mean?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join