It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Atlantic Hurricane Watch 2017

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13

originally posted by: crappiekat
a reply to: Outlier13

Thank you Outlier.

Your suggestions are just what we need to remind folks about.

It's the little things we overlook that can really get us into trouble.

No worries. The number one thing that gets people stuck is deciding to leave at the last minute. I've seen evacuation routes become log jams of cars. If I think the probability of evacuation is high I will typically reserve a room at a distant hotel out of the danger zone at least 4 days in advance. The advantage of this is I can still cancel up to 24 hours before arrival and not be charged yet I am assured of having a place to stay if needed. Beats sleeping in the car at a creepy rest stop.

Too many times people who leave at the last minute will travel out of the danger zone only to find not a single hotel room is available.

Also doesn't hurt to know your storm surge zone so you're not (literally) stuck in the surge if you're on the fence about evacuating, either. For the most part, anywhere we lived in FL was either a cat 4 or cat 5 surge zone, meaning we wouldn't have to pucker as much as anyone else in lower zones would, especially during weak storms. We never had to worry about leaving for storm surge flooding because it never happened in the neighborhoods we lived in, elevation was technically high enough to ride out a surge fine.
That's a more independent factor to consider. For example, if you're looking at a relatively weak category 1 coming through, but live in a category 1 storm surge evacuation zone, it's better to evacuate. If you're getting a category 1 storm and live in a category 5 evac zone, it's not really worthwhile unless you live in something constructed of toothpicks, spit & duct tape (in that case, you're evacuating for the wind, not water that'll never reach your abode's elevation)

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Here's some good trivia for you weather geeks like me

What do the muppets Have in common with Hurricane season?

Kermit
Miss Piggy
gonzo

Gotta love the humor in gov...

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

Can't wait I am on the coast. Ten feet of water where I am sleeping tonight when Mathew came through. We went inland to a hotel about 10 miles did just fine electricity only out about 6 hours...

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: judydawg

Matthew caused 603 deaths. 47 of those in the states. Haiti lost 546 lives.

I remember wondering if that thing was ever going to end.

voices.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: iWontGiveUP

Nose art and hurricane hunters.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Roger that!

Too easy!

It's meanings are mundane, but clever nonetheless

Remember the Enola gay paint job?

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'll just drop this right here:

National Hurricane Center

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 PM EDT Fri Jun 16 2017

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Satellite images indicate that an area of disturbed weather associated with a tropical wave is located about 1800 miles east ofthe southern Windward Islands. This disturbance additional better organized today, and additional development is possible during the next day or two before conditions become less favorable
for tropical cyclone formation. This system is expected to possible moving toward the west at 15-20 mph over the tropical Atlantic during the next several days.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...40 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...60 percent.

2. Surface pressures are falling in the western Caribbean Sea and the areal coverage of the disturbed weather has continued to increase. Conditions appear to be favorable for gradual development of this system while it moves slowly northwestward across the Yucatan Peninsula this weekend and into the south central Gulf of
Mexico early next week. Regardless of development, heavy rains are likely to spread over portions of Central America, the Yucatan Peninsula and western Cuba during the next several days.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...60 percent.

Forecaster Avila

edit on 16-6-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Things are starting to shake up again, this time of year people, stay safe.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Following up:

2. Surface observations and satellite data indicate that a broad low pressure area is centered near the east coast of the Yucatan Peninsula. This system is producing a large area of showers and thunderstorms along with winds to gale force several hundred miles to the east and northeast of the center. However, the low lacks a well-defined center of circulation, and the Hurricane Hunter mission scheduled for this afternoon has been canceled. Gradual development is expected while the low moves slowly north-northwestward across the Yucatan Peninsula through tonight, and then over the southern or central Gulf of Mexico on Monday and Tuesday, where a tropical or subtropical cyclone is likely to form. Regardless of development, heavy rains are expected over portions of Central America, the Yucatan Peninsula, Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and western Cuba during the next several days. An Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate this system on Monday, if necessary. For more information on this system, please see the High Seas Forecast issued by the Tropical Analysis and Forecast Branch.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...70 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent.

National Hurricane Center

I had a feeling about that system south of the Gulf. This one looks to be ramping up.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I have been keeping my eye on this too.

Didn't want to post anything prematurely.

weather.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Here is an update of whats brewing in the Gulf.

Looking at the future radar, it looks like the New Orleans area is going to get hit with a'lot of rain.

weather.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
In planning a big move its occurred to me to set about freezing everything I possibly can in the couple days before I break down the fridge. I have a ton of jars and bottles of fancy sauces and such for example. Basically freeze everything solid and cycle them back into the fridge (turned to max cold) while wrapping up as many item that last 48 hours. Creamy stuff frozen solid should hold its core temp longer than frozen water would. The more solid the item the better if you've ever tried to thaw a thick meat inside the fridge then you'll know it doesnt go so quickly. So make nice solid ice cubes out of your mustard, meat, etc. Everything but your produce really (fresh produce typically needs to be 'blanched' before freezing).

While rubbermaid type plastics crack if over half full with water while freezing, pretty much everything you buy that goes into the fridge should freeze solid fine without that issue.

So freeze your milk, and everything else that last couple days.

And make some bars of ice (see page 1) too if theres time.

And some cubes fr making drinks.

Power goes off immediately open the fridge doors and start transferring everything into coolers (now afforded with not having to do it in intense haste.

And make sure you leave those fridge doors open the whole times it off.

Eat the ice cream asap, and then get drunk till the power comes back on...

edit on 19-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Thanks Blisss.

You have given us some great idea's to use if we find ourselves in emergency situations.

Keep em coming.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Tropical Storm Brett, the earliest named storm since record keeping in 1851.

www.accuweather.com...

I hope the information in this thread will help to give folks a heads up if they are in the path of these storms.

I want to say Thank you to all who are watching and contributing to this thread.

We could save lives.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Another update:

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 PM EDT Tue Jun 20 2017

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Tropical
Storm Bret, located over the southeastern Caribbean Sea, and on
newly formed Tropical Storm Cindy, located over the central Gulf of
Mexico.

Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days.

&&

Public Advisories on Bret are issued under WMO header WTNT32 KNHC
and under AWIPS header MIATCPAT2. Forecast/Advisories on Bret are
issued under WMO header WTNT22 KNHC and under AWIPS header
MIATCMAT2.

Public Advisories on Cindy are issued under WMO header WTNT33 KNHC
and under AWIPS header MIATCPAT3. Forecast/Advisories on Cindy
are issued under WMO header WTNT23 KNHC and under AWIPS header
MIATCMAT3.

$$
Forecaster Brennan
NNNN

NHC

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

They are predicting more dangerous effects East of the cone.

Major inland flooding. Inland flooding is the cause of most deaths.

weatherplus.blog.palmbeachpost.com...

For you folks East of this cone, This is the time to be using Blisss's and other's suggestions.

Please be aware of your surroundings.
edit on 20-6-2017 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

There's lots of little things...

With meats, worse comes to worse and too much meat and too long of no power expected, cook all the meats on the grill and then pack back into coolers. Well, if you cant refrigerate, they might sit better at room temp NOT in dark in plastic bags (where mold becomes the menace).

Cooked meat has an entirely different bio profile than raw meat. Consider beef jerky for example. Raw meat goes bad in half a day a day in room temp. Cooked meats can go much much longer. Raw meat turns rancid. Cooked meat hardly does that. Other decomposition forces tend to do the job with cooked meat, and over longer periods. And dont forget, as long as meat isnt rancid just reheat it again. You're body wont let you it it for most of the worries. The thing with bacteria is, unless the meat came pre-loaded with disease germs then they aren't just going to appear because you left it out (especially not after a full cook). If you can eat cold pre-cooked meat from the fridge without hardly ever getting food poisoning your whole life then yeah. Truth is most the meat 'left out to long' metrics are for restaurants where lawsuits are on the line, where the cooking staff is doing everything assembly line style and need to maintain strict easy to follow standards. You at home with your personalized touch, you'll know whats whats, what each specimen has been thru since you got it home and youre not going to sue yourself so dont freak out too much about some of those semi-paranoid USDA numbers. Just recook it real well if you're not sure. You eat something on the order of pounds of bacteria every however many months. And for all you germaphobes: your very own body had some 15 pounds of bacteria living inside it, and you'd DIE without them.

Fish is an exception. Seafood really ins a whole nother animal in this. I'd tell you to follow the USDA guidelines, although I doubt your body would allow you to eat anything gone wrong.

If you keep a big jug of lemon juice (best purchased at little ethnic grocery stores) then you can store the fish at room temp in the lemon/lime juice, and it will actually "cook". AKA "Ceviche".

edit on 20-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Water the other big one. It gets bad enough there's always water in the toilet tank, the hot water heat tank, the pipes under the house.

I've gone literally months remote with no water power etc. The thing I never read about in survival pages on the water topic is the water you 'need' (that you arent going to drink).

Fill you tubs to the brim to run the toilets, and for wash.

Just scooping water out of a bucket you can actually get just about a full bathing off a gallon or two.

I'd prefer to have a bunch of rubbing alcohol on hand for the feet.

And those aloe 'adult baby wipes' for the rear.

Your rear and your feet are what get nasty. Keep those clean, if not breaking much of a sweat all day and not getting 'actually' 'dirty' you can go longer than you might expect without a shower and not even be nasty / smelly. Although getting sweaty necessitates a bathng more than just getting 'dirty', as your arms get all dirty you can just rinse them off real quick. Sweat is what makes your body sticky, and after you get that sticky feeling it makes you feel hotter than clean dry skin.

But make sure you have all your undies and socks clean in advance. You need to change those.

If you'll be sweating all day you'll want some medicated body powder from the dollar store.

And if you wear double layers of socks your feet wont get all nasty sticking to the bottoms of your shoes even on LONG hot labor intense days in dirty old work shoes.

edit on 20-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

That's pretty common, we always called that the 'dirty side' of the storm. Where I am is on the back side of this particular storm unless it makes a sudden turn west.

IIB, great suggestions!

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join