It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Atlantic Hurricane Watch 2017

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I recently moved to middle Tennessee (SE of Nashville) and it looks like this thing may curve towards our direction between Friday and Saturday- much weakened of course. I am wondering besides getting poured on what we may be dealing with here?

Just moved from North Texas so I'm used to much worse spring weather but just seeing what I need to be prepared for.

Also - I hope everyone down on the gulf coast stays safe - I remember riding out a storm a few years back with friends a d beer was kind of a prime ingredient to fighting cabin fever lol
edit on th20176-0500fCDT082017Tue, 20 Jun 2017 20:28:17 -0500 by SonOfThor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

As a fellow South TN person you should really not have much to worry. While the storm is suppose to get us a soaking this weekend, I feel it will lose lot of the punch of storms before it hits. Now we had a few weeks of flooding it parts of TN earlier this month and last so of course those places might see some moderate amount of flooding.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

That far inland, you won't see much worse than some moderately strong thunderstorms. Maybe some local power outages and possible flash flooding.

That last depends on the tracks the storms take. There's something squall lines do that typical thunderstorms often don't (though they certainly can) called "training." If the center of circulation is slow moving, then the storms will dump tremendous amounts of rain over a wide area in a short period of time.

They're basically big heat engines moving heat (energy) from the equator to the poles. Interesting note, any time we have a major hurricane in the Texas Gulf coast, the following winter, we get a hard freeze.

Tropical cyclones are fed by heat and moisture from the oceans (throw in coriolis force for form) and once that is deprived of them (by making landfall and moving inland), they dissipate a great deal. They don't like mountainous terrain either, that chews them up.

Of course these systems can still have effects over a huge area as we've seen. Tropical storms can bring more moisture than a hurricane, those include dangerous winds and, if youre on the coast, surge ; Francis and Allison in Houston come to mind; remember the big rigs floating in the river that I-10 became?

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
COOLER TIPS

-Ice melts into... water! Everything is in there with it: You'll be compelled to drain the water, but to get maximum ice durability you must leave the water in there. You'll be compelled to pour the ice in from the bag it comes in, but you must leave it in the bag for maximum ice durability. This will help with the water issue, maybe. But count on water. Therefore have a big box of ziplock bags, and bag all that stuff up. If water could readily penetrate the an item once in the bag, then you need to double bag it (this include shredded cheese thats already in its own bag: it will fill with water if in only one added bag). If you're using your own ice and have some suitable bags bag it up. Keeping the air off the high surface volume ice is the key, whether it be in a bag, or in water (ideally both, in cells). One gallon tupperware tub can be nice to put stuff into of course, and it should float when the ice melts. But space is an issue to you'll just have to figure it out with what you've got, of course.

-Set one cooler up for stuff that you wouldnt get around to needing to get into the next 'up to a week'. Then have the other for the stuff youll want the first few days of no power. The long haul cooler tape the seam, wrap it in space blankets, then pile blankets and stuff on top of it. And DO NOT OPEN IT unless you get some ice to dump in later. You can also throw extra insulative layers over the quick shot cooler as well.
edit on 20-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: OzManHero

Yeah I figured as much. Likely just going to ruin me getting out on the kayak for some fishing this weekend and keep us indoors.

I'm hoping this season overall isn't too bad... first beach vacation in a few years scheduled for August over on the south east coast.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join