It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statue of Confederate General R.E.Lee Removed.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
American Taliban Defeated In Alabama

www.yahoo.com...

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama lawmakers on Friday approved sweeping protections for Confederate monuments, names and other historic memorials.
The measure "would prohibit the relocation, removal, alteration, renaming, or other disturbance of any architecturally significant building, memorial building, memorial street, or monument" that has stood on public property for 40 or more years," it reads.

DEO VINDICE

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Tony Tony Tony!!.. it's not just a shared war experience with different hopes and dreams , but a sharing of speech patterns, music, food certain trend towards social convervativeness and may I dare say... FAMILY TIES!!

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: TonyS

Tony Tony Tony!!.. it's not just a shared war experience with different hopes and dreams , but a sharing of speech patterns, music, food certain trend towards social convervativeness and may I dare say... FAMILY TIES!!

The UN has in place protection against these type of things taking place against minority populations. The racial makeup of New Orleans is 67% black. These monuments should have been covered. I wonder WHY they were not...

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
a reply to: strongfp

I am not surprised anymore considering the complete dumbing downing of three generations of adults that will never grow up.

We may as well get rid of Mount Rushmore while we are at it to, I am sure they will find it offensive.

What a shame.

Mount Rushmore was deemed offensive on day one by the natives. This was because the black Hills were/are sacred to them.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

The real problem I have with all the confederate stuff is 2 fold..

A) from an americans pov it is glorifying treason...

If the plaque read..

"Rebeled against his native country leading to the deaths of thousands of US service members, while being a pretty damn good tactician ..except for that whole gettysburg fiasco .. he totally blew that..."

That is patriotically remembering your history..

However that's not what we have here.. which leads me perfectly into ...

B) if you look at the dates on all these schools, monuments and parks "creation date" or date of the name change..

They ALL started and usually can be directly traced to the push back from civil rights..
No one glorified the confederacy before then.. they had just rebelled leading to tens of thousands of deaths..

As a middle finger to segregation and civil rights you had revisonist history statues and monuments pop up like weeds..

So there isn't a glorious history to protect.. it is protecting a very specific FU meant to tell the world they will not intergrate quietly.

At least one other person gets it.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Removing this statue is the exact same thing the Chinese communist party would do.

Congrats America. You are now just like them.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Attempting to erase history.......so sad to see this.....

Whats the difference between this and what ISIS is doing? Trying to get rid of things that make people uncomfortable......

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat that.........remember that when you try to wipe it clean......

This is not erasing anything. The statue will be moved to a museum. Which will lead to it being much better preserved.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: defiythelie

Whats the difference between this and what ISIS is doing? Trying to get rid of things that make people uncomfortable......

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat that.........remember that when you try to wipe it clean......

This is not erasing anything. The statue will be moved to a museum. Which will lead to it being much better preserved.

Yes, better preserved from the public eye, as intentioned.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

If the plaque read..

"Rebeled against his native country leading to the deaths of thousands of US service members, while being a pretty damn good tactician ..except for that whole gettysburg fiasco .. he totally blew that..."

B) if you look at the dates on all these schools, monuments and parks "creation date" or date of the name change..

They ALL started and usually can be directly traced to the push back from civil rights..
No one glorified the confederacy before then.. they had just rebelled leading to tens of thousands of deaths..

As a middle finger to segregation and civil rights you had revisonist history statues and monuments pop up like weeds..

So there isn't a glorious history to protect.. it is protecting a very specific FU meant to tell the world they will not intergrate quietly.

You say "treason". Please point me in the history of ONE court proceeding or ONE Confederate leader tried for treason. You can't because there were NONE. There is this though...

"If you bring these leaders to trial, it will condemn the North, for by the Constitution, secession is not treason...His [Jefferson Davis'] capture was a mistake. His trial will be a greater one. We cannot convict him of treason."

Salmon P. Chase
Chief Justice
SCOTUS

The monuments in New Orleans and the other States of the Confederacy went up in the 50 years after the close of the war. FAR before the civil rights movements of the 1960's.
edit on 21-5-2017 by The3murph because: Added quote marks

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

If the plaque read..

Gets what? He was an AMAZING character in history and helped to form the very foundation of today's success.

Robert E. Lee deserves recognition always.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Let us know if you feel the same when the sealed FBI file on MLK is finally opened and the monuments and street names come down.
edit on 21-5-2017 by The3murph because: accuracy

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958

I am not surprised anymore considering the complete dumbing downing of three generations of adults that will never grow up.

We may as well get rid of Mount Rushmore while we are at it to, I am sure they will find it offensive.

What a shame.

Mount Rushmore was deemed offensive on day one by the natives. This was because the black Hills were/are sacred to them.

Well then they should have fought harder. That's what you people say to us...

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

If the plaque read..

Gets what? He was an AMAZING character in history and helped to form the very foundation of today's success.

Robert E. Lee deserves recognition always.

Correct. "The Marble Model".

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Lee was one of the great men I admire as a man, soldier, and leader. He truly was a representative man not just for the South but an entire nation. He was a great role model.

The removal of his statue is liberal agenda at work and they're doing this little by little to see how far whites are gonna take it. Whites better start acting in defense of their history, culture, and lives or it's going to get far worse than it already is.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
If I said it once, I have said it a million times.

It's about heritage, not hate.

Being a son of the south with my mothers name being Lee, probably of no relation, I find it offense that they are removing these historical monuments.

Pretty sure none of my family never owned any slaves, let alone fought a war to keep slavery, since the majority of them were poor farmers picking cotton themselves.

Pretty sure it was mostly because they grew tired of the north telling them what they can and can not do.

# them Yankees !

edit on 21-5-2017 by Groot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
If I said it once, I have said it a million times.

It's about heritage, not hate.

Being a son of the south with my mothers name being Lee, probably of no relation, I find it offense that they are removing these historical monuments.

Pretty sure none of my family never owned any slaves, let alone fought a war to keep slavery, since the majority of them were poor farmers picking cotton themselves.

Pretty sure it was mostly because they grew tired of the north telling them what they can and can not do.

# them Yankees !

The only difference between George Washington and Robert E. Lee is that Washington won.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

I'm sorry but who are you to say that those men who fought and died for something they believed in a disgrace. Now I am in no way defending slavery because I think we can all agree that that was a terrible idea and situation. But these people weren't fighting the war because of slavery, they were fighting the war because they believed their rights as Americans were being infringed upon. As for taking down the Statues of Confederate generals and banning the Confederate flag we as a people are destroying history whether you agree with it or not. If that is going to be the case we mine as well destroy Auschwitz and Birkenau because of how many Jews were killed there by the Germans in WW2, because who cares about history. General Lee is believed to this day to be ONE of the best field commanders to ever take men into battle, also many southern generals were the best commanders this country had to offer at the time. As one poster stated earlier "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it"
edit on 21-5-2017 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
You know what I find sad about this is that this one action is no better than when the ultra-radical Muslim terror groups went in and destroyed so many historical artifacts that they found distasteful and against their beliefs. How much history have we lost to this sort of radical thinking and how much more are we going to lose?

One can argue the statue represents and glorifies treason all day long, but it's still *history* people!

How long before school history textbooks start removing any sort of references that might make people "uncomfortable" or is "treasonous."

Revisionist history should never, ever, ever be a thing, no matter how ugly or dark that history was.

I really fear for the direction the US is headed when it comes to things like this. This smells more like an attempt to appease certain groups than anything else. Ugh, I really hate that I'm becoming so jaded about the direction our country is going.

Should we be waiting for pubic book burnings to make a come-back?

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Why do we continue to cave to the whims of the angry mob? See my thread hereLinkRemoving the statue of Robert E Lee in New Orleans is ultimately just a power play by the mayor. But it is also a part of a trend of the removal of history that is inconvenient to modern leftist narratives. See bill nye's redacted genetics episode Link Things are not always as black and white and there are in fact shades of gray. (The Civil War isn't there's only 2 genders genetically speaking)

History is important in the understanding of why they did what they did, or it may repeat itself. Not to just label them grey (Bad) and Blue (good). It was a war primarily fought over states rights, as well as slavery. Taking down statues will not erase that history, millions of bodies are still buried. Previous posters would have you believe I am just imagining these patterns of control over the narrative. But anyone with half a brain can see what they are doing.

If “History is written by the victors.” does this mean we've already lost?
edit on 21-5-2017 by User1138 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Slightly off topic: Is cultural appropriation a thing? Marxists are starting to say that sushi at a cafeteria is cultural appropriation. When I was in school it was called cultural diffusion. It was a sharing of different cultures for the enrichment of both or as many as necessary. When did that change? Why are we trying to divide or segregate people instead of having open dialogue and the sharing of cultures? I'm White and Filipino does that mean I can only eat burgers and adobo? If i like siracha on my burger does that mean I am Oppressing Thai's? This is insanity. How much history will we lose in this culture war?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join