It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statue of Confederate General R.E.Lee Removed.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 19 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I am not sure how I feel about this. But, the statue in New Orleans of Robert E. Lee has been removed, the final of four statues erected following the American civil war, a very controversial subject in today's world. Especially American life.

CBC Report.

Now, I am in no right to be one to make a statement about slavery or the intentions of the civil war, and it's outcomes. I am not African American, nor American myself. But, I am quite interested in the civil war, I have several books, and probably watched the Ken Burns documentary of the civil war several times. It really fascinates me.

Anyways. From what I know. Robert Lee was a true countryman, he loved his homeland of Virginia, and would do anything for it.
He went into the war with intentions of protecting his home state, and got caught up in a situation that cost his family name and legacy.
Whether he was opposed to slavery or not, it is known he was on the fence. And his stance on the war was more of an act of valor than a fight for 'one side'.

A letter to his wife:

In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.

I think removing Lee's statues is rather saddening. It's sad the statues went up in the first place, but sad his came down because it's erasing part of American history that could be used as an example.

What say you ATS. Please, leave current politics out of this.

edit on 20-5-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

+35 more 
posted on May, 19 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I agree totally. The Civil War was a black mark on our history, but it was our history. We can't hide it and pretend it didn't exist.

edit on 19-5-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I've always enjoyed visiting new orleans, partly because it has such a rich history that many other american cities do not have. Whether that history is deemed good or bad is irrelevant, because it's simply a part of the city's past and is what makes new orleans new orleans. Right now, it looks like a city that has lost it's identity, it's uniqueness, and I honestly don't have much desire to visit there anymore.

+11 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I am not surprised anymore considering the complete dumbing downing of three generations of adults that will never grow up.

We may as well get rid of Mount Rushmore while we are at it to, I am sure they will find it offensive.

What a shame.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
What's sad is hardly anyone showed up to protest or say goodbye.

We've been subdued.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

The real problem I have with all the confederate stuff is 2 fold..

A) from an americans pov it is glorifying treason...

If the plaque read..

"Rebeled against his native country leading to the deaths of thousands of US service members, while being a pretty damn good tactician ..except for that whole gettysburg fiasco .. he totally blew that..."

That is patriotically remembering your history..

However that's not what we have here.. which leads me perfectly into ...

B) if you look at the dates on all these schools, monuments and parks "creation date" or date of the name change..

They ALL started and usually can be directly traced to the push back from civil rights..
No one glorified the confederacy before then.. they had just rebelled leading to tens of thousands of deaths..

As a middle finger to segregation and civil rights you had revisonist history statues and monuments pop up like weeds..

So there isn't a glorious history to protect.. it is protecting a very specific FU meant to tell the world they will not intergrate quietly.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
They should leave all statues up as a reminder of slavery and the way the south was built on the backs of black people.
It's Southern heritage and tearing down the statues won't erase it.

+5 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The statue was erected and dedicated in the 1880's.

I think you are missing the point.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I support the removal of the statue.

You have to understand that even though the INTENT of the statue is not to be in support of the confederacy... its presence gives the image that we are putting members and leaders of the confederacy on a pedestal.

Although historic, having a statue of a confederate leader in our country sends the wrong message. The confederate south was defeated as were their ideologies, and with good cause. The south in that war represented an idea that had no place in the modern world, and to give it or its members any glory or recognition today is a direct insult to the flag we fly today.

The union did and does represent UNIVERSAL FREEDOM, whereas the confederates represented RESTRICTED FREEDOM to only caucasian males. Not only that, the ideology of thee confederacy, and still the ideology of many southern states today is the the individual is more important than the whole... which is a thought process that destroys the idea of a unified country.

The confederate flag is a disgrace, as are the men who fought on behalf of the confederacy and their wicked heartless ideals.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

The real problem I have with all the confederate stuff is 2 fold..

If the plaque read..

"Rebeled against his native country leading to the deaths of thousands of US service members, while being a pretty damn good tactician ..except for that whole gettysburg fiasco .. he totally blew that..."

That is patriotically remembering your history..

However that's not what we have here.. which leads me perfectly into ...

B) if you look at the dates on all these schools, monuments and parks "creation date" or date of the name change..

They ALL started and usually can be directly traced to the push back from civil rights..
No one glorified the confederacy before then.. they had just rebelled leading to tens of thousands of deaths..

As a middle finger to segregation and civil rights you had revisonist history statues and monuments pop up like weeds..

So there isn't a glorious history to protect.. it is protecting a very specific FU meant to tell the world they will not intergrate quietly.

Beautifully written, genius post.

You win the internet.

+15 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Attempting to erase history.......so sad to see this.....

Whats the difference between this and what ISIS is doing? Trying to get rid of things that make people uncomfortable......

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat that.........remember that when you try to wipe it clean......

+21 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

You apparently dont know the reason behind the Civil War......and are apparently a student of revisionist history......

The Civil war wasnt just fought about slavery......

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Should general Lee be removed from history?

I admire the man, I admit that. He fought an extremely complex war, within, and for his people.

But, I do not agree with confederate ideologies. I agree with you on that.

+11 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Revolutionary War. Are you against it?

History is only glorified by those as portray it as such. History is history, by that I mean all the tearing down and attempting at erasing to ease fragile minds will not change it.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

You apparently dont know the reason behind the Civil War......and are apparently a student of revisionist history......

The Civil war wasnt just fought about slavery......

Ill play ball with you.

But first I must confess, Im one of those left wing globalist elitist loonies.

The civil war was not solely about slavery, but more about states rights vs. federal law.

I know that.

Im sure you can read between the lines and guess what I am going to say next.

I am not one who is very big on states rights. To be honest Id rather do away with state government, make federal government bigger, and local government bigger.

Thats just me.

On a Macro scale, I yearn for the day when we are no longer even caught up in "countries" and recognize eachother as one human race.

Kind of like how it is in most futuristic sci-fi movies, where we have one unified government as humans, all looking out for eachother because when it comes down to it, we are all the same.. sitting on this big chunk of rock hurling through space.. and in the future we will experience what we encounter on that journey together, which is much more important.

but now im getting off topic

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Excellent point, makes you wonder why more people don't 'think' before they post.

+14 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

What's next?
The removal of George Washington statues?

He was a slave owner, get ready.

edit on 20-5-2017 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: oddnutz

Have some compassion. Lee's family did not exactly accept slavery. This is a tragedy in the making.
Washington was a valiant man, he was 'right' for the time. So was Lee.

+3 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
And the flag, it offends people. And the colour red. And the English language, what ever happened to esperanto? Ĝi estas la ĝusta por fari, ĉu ne?

Lets all wear blue onsies, shave our heads, never look at anyone in the eye, all pee in one room, and let the global authoritarian government determine who our genetics are to be mixed with, for the betterment of the unified world. And don't forget to take your emotion destroying big pharma sleeping pills. A rested worker, is a productive worker !

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I think it is sad. Those that forget history are bound to repeat it. a reply to: strongfp

<<   2  3  4 >>

join