It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do the people who worship Jesus behave nothing like his teachings

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
People who idolize and worship Jesus seem to be the opposite of what Jesus taught. People seem very judgmental, arrogant, belligerent, bigots, and prejudice in their thinking. I've just never been interested in Holier Than Thou church near my house. I've never had any interested in being like any of the people who idolize there.

Modern Christianity to me seems more like a military government centered around authoritarianism. The word lord has no meaning unless you have obedient slaves.

Someone please explain to me why the teachings of Christ seem not to translate into people's behaviors and attitudes?

I think this article has an interesting sentiment:

So if you call yourself a Christian…then just start loving others and overlooking their faults. Quit trying to make everyone else pay for their sins. God’s got that under control. Become ambassadors of mercy instead heavenly bounty hunters and you’ll never have to beg someone to listen to your message about Christ again.

www.gregtrimble.com...

edit on 18-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
People who idolize and worship Jesus seem to be the opposite of what Jesus taught. People seem very judgmental, arrogant, belligerent, bigots, and prejudice in their thinking. I've just never been interested in Holier Than Thou church near my house. I've never had any interested in being like any of the people who idolize there.

Modern Christianity to me seems more like a military government centered around authoritarianism. The word lord has no meaning unless you have obedient slaves.

Someone please explain to me why the teachings of Christ seem not to translate into people's behaviors and attitudes?

I think this article has an interesting sentiment:

So if you call yourself a Christian…then just start loving others and overlooking their faults. Quit trying to make everyone else pay for their sins. God’s got that under control. Become ambassadors of mercy instead heavenly bounty hunters and you’ll never have to beg someone to listen to your message about Christ again.

www.gregtrimble.com...

shoot if u really study him he seems alot like an anarchist in many ways. he was all about completely disrupting the social order.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
it's not the people's​ fault. it's tradition. When you were a little kid, your parents took you to church. When they were a little kid, they were taking to church. So on and so forth until you get to the first hermaphrodite.

Kids naturally don't want to listen to what they are told to do. They want to embrace the freedom they have.

Then as we age we are forced to obey and listen because it is a requirement.

Now as adults, we envy the young for their freedom.

You're asking why Christians don't do as what Jesus taught them to do?

I would say because we force each other to obey his words.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The concept of removing the planks out of ones eyes to better see the splinters in others is probably the main reason .God starts off not with good people but some down right nasty ones . Not that salvation is not aviable for good people but they might be the minority in the group . Its the process over time that changes the believer from the inside out ... It took King Nebuchadnezzar 7 years of living wild like a animal before he finally got it .

edit on 18-5-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Love, forgiveness and repent. Sinning, covering it up and lying, lot easier. Course, that's why they go to church on sunday, ask forgiveness, start all over again Monday.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

It's usually the 'born again' Christians who are the worst. After having often lived a life of hedonism they go the complete opposite direction, over compensating for the 'bad' life they feel they have previously lived.

It also attracts people with addictive personalities. These people are addicted code followers who absolutely have to read into every single nuance in scripture. Bible junkies we Catholics used to call them.
edit on 18-5-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

It's also the 'born again' Christians who are the worst. After having often lived a life of hedonism they go the complete opposite direction, over compensating for the 'bad' life they feel they have previously lived.
Pride is a issue with us all , but spiritual pride is the worse . The new found eternal life in Jesus can go to ones head . If they truly get saved then they are Gods and because He will sanctify them they will learn through trials and tribulations to cool their jets . I think it can be categorized something like this ....a self made christian , a man made christian or a God made christian .

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Yep, good old pride....

It's one of the seven deadly sins for a reason.

The sad part is the number of lives it ruins and the amount of people it totally puts off Christianity as a faith.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I know it's weird.
Just like the Democrats are the opposite of being compassionate and accepting. They are hateful and violent.
And like the Republicans are the opposite of fiscally responsible with higher morals. They are warmongering slime balls.

I think it's something to do with humans and any ideology. Doing the opposite of what they promote.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It truly depends on what your talking about really. Now granted we have bad apples and it's those bad apples we always hear about.

With the Internet. It's a fictional reality. Anyone can be anyone they want to be. I'm guilty of it. I act and talk through my phone through texts and posts a lot differently then a face a to face. I'm not the only one. We all guilty of it, some more then others.

In reality. Well. From what I see is everyone ignoring everyone. No one talks to anyone. Most words past is "Hi, how are you?" Or even simpler yet. "Sup." That's about it with human interactions.

Sometimes our paths cross that require more of a conversation between two strangers and you have more of chance for that meeting to go good then bad.

We need to split reality from fiction. Way to much eye distractions causing us to lose patience and the inability to withstand the basic stressors in our life.

If we turn our tvs and our phones off and actually start becoming one with the world around us, like we have the internet. Then just maybe common sense and morality will come back in our culture.

There's not a single person we can look to. Not god himself can make you act like a decent individual. That takes you and only you to make that choice to treat humans around you the way you'd want to be treated.

edit on 18-5-2017 by ConscienceZombie because: silly little typos

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I know it's weird.
Just like the Democrats are the opposite of being compassionate and accepting. They are hateful and violent.
And like the Republicans are the opposite of fiscally responsible with higher morals. They are warmongering slime balls.

I think it's something to do with humans and any ideology. Doing the opposite of what they promote.

in regards to the bold, weve been at war with somebody no matter the side of the aisle for as long as i can remember. its one of the reasons i am sickened with both parties. for the rest, i see the same behavior from both sides aswell. i think its just inherent within humans in general. its time for another plague to force everyone to rely on each other again i think.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's

Caesar now has control of the exclusive distributor rights...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

The sad part is the number of lives it ruins and the amount of people it totally puts off Christianity as a faith.
Any true seeker will look for themselves despite the hypocrites associate with the faith .In seeking they will find and at the end of the day that is all that matters to God . let the dead bury the dead .

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

I agree, Jesus came among us to disrupt and bring change. I'm no theologian but this is evident in every word and story about him.

I think the issue with the 'Holier Than Thou Church' is the people love the church, and not Jesus.

In the Bible, Jesus had a similar problem with the Pharisees, who had grown to love the law more than God.

Remember Jesus said "Love one another", so cut them some slack and pray they getthe planks out of their eyes.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

What a massive generalization.

Many different types of christians from liberal to evangelical

Could reverse this and say why are all atheists over opinionated and know it all people so quick to judge the religious. What massive hypocrites

Not all people think the same even if they're religious and follow Jesus

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Why does that misguidence not happen to any other religion, even to the Buddhists?
--Oh, wait, it does, I guess we can pardon your brief misrepresentation toward one religion?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

There are many reasons why I think. Here are a couple off the top of the ol' noggin.

1. When one believes in Christ one does not become Christ. While the spirit is changed the flesh remains and while it does so, and if a Christian walks in the flesh those negative qualities you mentioned and plenty of others will rear their heads.
2. Many who claim Christ are not actually saved. Some who you would probably consider Christians are not. Some are deceived and some are false prophets.

Christianity is authoritarian. I think the Bible is pretty clear about following and submitting to the proper authorities in life. It's said many times to "submit in the Lord" meaning we should submit in so far as the commands are in accordance with scripture. i.e. children unto parents, wives unto husbands, citizens unto the ruling authority.

Also it's possible you have the wrong idea about Jesus as he wasn't really the super laid back, ultra pc, hippy many portray him as. One must remember why the world hated him. As he said unto his brothers who were unsaved at the time: "The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil." Jesus did a lot of hard preaching against sin.

In the end what's it matter though? The Gospel of Christ is the power unto salvation not the testimony of the Christian life. You not wanting to be like the relatively small sample of Christians you've experienced in your life is a poor reason to reject the Gospel.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Love, forgiveness and repent. Sinning, covering it up and lying, lot easier. Course, that's why they go to church on sunday, ask forgiveness, start all over again Monday.

I believe he told the prostitute to 'Go and sin no more'.
The revolving door of sinning and repenting for it later wasn't in line with what he said, AFAIK.
Sinning is human, but if a person is trying not to sin, the world is better for it.

The Catholic Church charged a fee for absolving sins at one time, that definitely goes against what Christ taught.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I think most people genuinely try to be "good" but it is just not really acheivable to reach a standard set so high. Of course we should all reach for a high standard, but when we fail to keep it up, a little forgiveness is what is prescribed. Even jesus supposedly lost his temper in the stories.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Maybe your premise is incorrect.

Maybe -- just maybe -- putting all Christians into one box and labeling them all the same is the problem. Or maybe -- just maybe -- the ones who cry and scream and yell the loudest get the most attention. And maybe -- just maybe -- bad folks have used and abused Christianity just like every other religion, belief and philosophy for nefarious ends.

As a Christian, I have cringed and shuddered at some of the things other Christians say and do. But I have also cringed and shuddered at some of the things non-Christians do. I won't assume all Christians are bad... or that all people are bad... because of the behavior of some.

There are so many people of faith -- including Christians -- who do big things and small to make this world a better place each and every day. (And of course people of no faith who do the same!) Not demanding anything of anyone, just giving of themselves, quietly and without any need for recognition. And that's exactly what Jesus said we should do: to pay our alms in private.

A while back, years ago, I read an article by a Christian minister making the point that his rights to religious freedom were being violated by the laws criminalizing gay marriage. He spoke of several forms of same-sex marriage sanctioned by and practiced by the early church. He bemoaned the fact that only one "brand" of Christianity was given religious "freedom" -- and that's not freedom and that's not his religious beliefs. Today, there are many Christian churches and denominations who will happily perform same-sex marriages... but look how often folks assume that all Christians are against gay marriage.

Ultimately, I'm pretty darn sure it's just all part of the divide-and-conquer game, and there are always those folks willing to be that person, so of course you will always be able to find an obnoxious Christian -- just as you can find an obnoxious anything. But they're getting all the attention for a reason.... to paint us all with the same broad brush so others feel justified in hating and blaming and fighting us.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join