It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do the people who worship Jesus behave nothing like his teachings

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Love, forgiveness and repent. Sinning, covering it up and lying, lot easier. Course, that's why they go to church on sunday, ask forgiveness, start all over again Monday.

My problem is people who are pretending to speak for God.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

The kind that believe in Jesus.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

My problem is people who are pretending to speak for God.
The use of salt may help you out ..ie. Most politicians claim to speak for the people . There may be some that actually do just as there may be some who actually speak for God ... Its through reading and studying the Bible which is the word of God that you have a example to separate the wheat from the chaff . Plus it helps expose the real frauds who are quite cunning ,much like some politicians .

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I did use the word "seem" in an attempt not to be absolute in my brush painting. I did like your post. I thought it was well thought out.

It just seems to me the teachings of Christ seem to me to be a little more egalitarian although the apostles and translators seem determined to keep it authoritarian and consistent with previous scripture. I'm not sure I can accept Jesus was totally authoritarian despite Paulanity.

I still think Christians would be more pacifists than they really are in general.

Also, I would think Christians would also be against the death penalty more than they seem to be. Being against the death penalty seems to be more consistent with being anti-abortion.

It also seems to me Christians would be a little more open to government public policies designed to fight poverty. There just seems to me certain ways Christians think seem opposite to the teachings. I think Christians would be more like hippies than they are. Maybe that is just my interpretation.

edit on 18-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Why do the people who worship Jesus behave nothing like his teachings

Bingo!

Lots of churchians are amoral, behaving properly when its convenient to do so. Some use it as a crutch, its okay I'm a jerk, Im forgiven because I attend church. Some use church as an excuse, they pray for you instead of actually helping.

Dump it in Gods lap... "I'll pray for you" or, "You're in my prayers". If things go well its because we prayed, if they don't, It was 'Gods will'.

The worst part is the One True God thing making all others the Devil. Then you see, its okay to war on the heathens, they are going to Hell anyway.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Well when an institution won't accept gay folk but will sexually abuse young boys...yeah then there needs questions asked, serious effing questions.

I've worked for people who are devout and the good ol' pastors sucked money out of them for the starving African children but then a new church is built and African children are still starving. Faith has no price and Jesus would weep if he could see what goes on in the modern church today.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

When I hear a politician say they are speaking for the "American people" I just assume they mean lobbyists.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Don't look so much to the teachings of others or the current dogma in organized religion. Keep it simple. Read the beatitudes and sermon on the mount. Thats how we're supposed to behave towards one another.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

There may be a little too much congregation size going on rather than the teachings. People love power.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Also, I would think Christians would also be against the death penalty more than they seem to be. Being against the death penalty seems to be more consistent with being anti-abortion.

It depends on the denomination. (Equates to politics, imo)

The Catholic Church is against the death penalty and abortion.... but they also have protected pedophile priests in the past.

I would like to have heard what Jesus actually had to say when he said it, but we only have what has been passed down, translated and changed. (not to mention what all may have been deleted)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

When I was a child and was being taught in a small church in sunday school, it was called the Beatitudes, The Sermon on the Mount. I don't know if evangelical go over it much.:

The eight Beatitudes in Matthew 5:3–12 during the Sermon on the Mount.[4][5]
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (Matthew 5:3)Blessed are those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)Blessed are the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10)Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. .5:11-12

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Don't look so much to the teachings of others or the current dogma in organized religion. Keep it simple. Read the beatitudes and sermon on the mount. Thats how we're supposed to behave towards one another.

That's kind of my point. People idolize the words "Jesus Christ" but they hardly ever quote the Beatitudes. They say the words "Jesus Christ" constantly but then they behave callously and indifferent to other people's suffering. There's just no compassion for other sinners.

edit on 18-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

There may be a little too much congregation size going on rather than the teachings. People love power.

Good point.
Cathedrals, especially in Europe were points of consolidating power.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I can see your sincerity in your posts.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Agreed-and televangelists are a perfect example.

These people take a simple concept like forgiveness and then spew random bible quotes that are completely unrelated to the subject at hand as the fanatics literally start weeping-these people are a cult of personality and they use that power to siphon money from the faithful, as do others that claim to serve their lord.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

That's kind of my point. People idolize the words "Jesus Christ" but they hardly ever quote the Beatitudes.

Or behave that way.

In a church service people sit side by side, hug and love each other regardless of nationality, culture... for one hour. The rest of the week they don't behave that way at all. Imagine going into a supermarket and see people hugging each other?
A service is a feel good about who we are, not about changing or becoming better.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Religion is for weak minds...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I know some people who are Christians that actually incorporate Jesus's teachings in their life. They are very good people. You can find these people, they are happy, they are very helpful, they will give you the shirt off of their back if you need it. They are not judgemental at all. They help others just to help others, not for monetary or prestigious gain.

I know maybe twenty people like this, out of the thousands of Christians I know. They are rare but they do exist, scattered amongst the churches out there in this country.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It is a schizophrenic religion: On one hand, you are supposed to fear their God and his power to destroy if you don't worship him (which includes your eternal bliss in heaven, where streets are paved with gold and all that jazz); on the other hand, you're supposed to embrace and love the teachings of his son, Jesus (who is also God...I mean, angry God said not to worship anyone but him, so Jesus must be the same being, but different, but part of a trinity...wait, what?), and emulate his life and commandments out of love.

And don't forget the Holy Spirit--the zombie ghost of Jesus/God to whom they are supposed to pray but cannot see.

So, the top of the trinity pyramid is an angry god who demands worship (or else!), and then a Jesus messiah who demands that the only way to heaven is through him and his love and guidance, and then Jesus-God's ghost, to whom you are supposed to pray and direct your worship.

So, is it any real question as to why many (not all) Christians are confused about how they're supposed to act? I mean, if they take the father-god's example of do-as-I-say-and-not-as-I-do, they will be overbearing, vengeful, and hateful in their actions, but hypocritical in their words. If they always pause and ask, "What would Jesus do?," and then do what they believe that he would, they will generally finish last in many aspects of modern society (nice guys always do, right?).

So what do they do? Well, most of them take the easy way out and just act how they want to, presuming that they're able to ask for forgiveness and move on. This is evidenced in nearly 20 years of my life growing up in and around church "families."

But I think that your OP misses the point of Christianity (and I'm not really defending organized religion--I despise it), in that Jesus' teachings and life, along with the anecdotes and parables in the New Testament (the part of the Bible that Christians focus on), are meant to be a guide and reminder of how to live one's life. Every single Christian will lose their way--some way more often than others--when it comes to staying on the track of how Jesus lived his life, but as long as there is that kindness and love to remind them to get back on track with how they live their lives and treat others, there's still a glimmer of usefulness to religion.

I'm not a religious man, but I am intelligent enough to know that many parables in the New Testament and many of Jesus' teachings make a lot of sense and are relevant, even today.

Full disclosure: I did not read the linked article.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Because all humans are idiots no matter what they think or believe.
We all fall very short, and no one is perfect.

I usually just try to avoid most people.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join