It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do the people who worship Jesus behave nothing like his teachings

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Paul expounded on the teachings of Jesus yet many just ignore them for their own pleasure and desires.

Basically what is seems is that you are judging them by a standard of which you believe is the teachings of Jesus.

Do you practice what you you believe are his teachings or just using it to judge others by it?

no one I know believers we are "holier than thou". Jesus holiness is imputed to us but we are unable at all times to remain in that Holiness because of our main enemy, out flesh.

Stop judging and live it is all I can say.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I have never known Christians to be judgmental or bigoted. I think you probably see in others what you yourself reflect.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

lol

You're kidding right?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
a reply to: the2ofusr1

It's usually the 'born again' Christians who are the worst. After having often lived a life of hedonism they go the complete opposite direction, over compensating for the 'bad' life they feel they have previously lived.

It also attracts people with addictive personalities. These people are addicted code followers who absolutely have to read into every single nuance in scripture. Bible junkies we Catholics used to call them.

You mean the "Born Again Hypocrites"?

The ones who lived a life of sin but are now saved by Grace? The ones who go around condemning everyone else for the same sins they used to commit, as though forgiveness of sins ended with them?

Those ones?
edit on 18-5-2017 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Paul expounded on the teachings of Jesus yet many just ignore them for their own pleasure and desires.

Basically what is seems is that you are judging them by a standard of which you believe is the teachings of Jesus.

Do you practice what you you believe are his teachings or just using it to judge others by it?

no one I know believers we are "holier than thou". Jesus holiness is imputed to us but we are unable at all times to remain in that Holiness because of our main enemy, out flesh.

Stop judging and live it is all I can say.

You don't have freewill? Your flesh makes you sin? Your flesh is more powerful than the Holy Spirit?

I'm not sure we are worshiping the same Christ. The Jesus I worship overcame all sin and lives in me to guide me down his path of perfection. I have freewill and the Holy Spirit and they are more powerful than my flesh.
edit on 18-5-2017 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I know some people who are Christians that actually incorporate Jesus's teachings in their life. They are very good people. You can find these people, they are happy, they are very helpful, they will give you the shirt off of their back if you need it. They are not judgemental at all. They help others just to help others, not for monetary or prestigious gain.

I know maybe twenty people like this, out of the thousands of Christians I know. They are rare but they do exist, scattered amongst the churches out there in this country.
I know a lot of people like this and not all of them are christians. Some are atheist, some are hindu, some have their own ideologies that they don't even talk about. I don't think any religion makes one person better. I think good people can fall into almost any category. We all know that not everything in the bible or the quran is something that will make all of our lives better. I think that is why most people throw these religions out of their lives. I can speak about my experiences when i really started reading the bible and i could not accept most of the old testament, and a great deal of the new testament. When i read the impossible claims, i didn't try to shoehorn those beliefs into my reality. I rejected the words because they didn't match my observations of the world. I recognise these as just stories. Just like greek mythology. These stories are supposed to teach you about how a person develops from a young person into an adult with responsibilities. But it falls short in so many ways. what it does show is that people can believe anything you teach them. Whether it can be proven to be true or not. Once you have taught a child something, it is very difficult for them to accept anything else.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: Akragon

Over and over i say this... Christianity doesn't focus on Jesus teaching

Its mainly Paul, and everything else in the book other then the gospels

I somewhat agree reading Mathew Mark luke and john gives what seems to fit the truth that is built in the heart I personally trust in this and don't need anymore, I think we will find in the last days we will have the older books found (released from hiding) and we will know the whole truth.

i hope that happens but unfortunately it won't...

Imagine... the church releases info that is from Jesus' time

Perhaps even written by him...

what would happen to Christianity?

Some might believe that everything said industry stands for would be confirmed...

Personally i think it would crumble...

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   

It's because our culture teaches us to learn from the teacher and not from the book, it is the basis of our education system. Most religious followers don't read the text that is the basis of their religion, they get the information from the pracher, and the preachers job isn't to keep you informed, it is to keep you coming back.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I am very proud of you.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Jesus himself explains at John 8:42-47:

42 Jesus said to them: “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I have not come of my own initiative, but that One sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I am saying? Because you cannot listen to my word. 44 You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie. 45 Because I, on the other hand, tell you the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Who of you convicts me of sin? If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. This is why you do not listen, because you are not from God.”

And Matthew 7:13-27

13 “Go in through the narrow gate, because broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are finding it.
15 “Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. 16 By their fruits you will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? 17 Likewise, every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, nor can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. 19 Every tree not producing fine fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men.
21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’
24 “Therefore, everyone who hears these sayings of mine and does them will be like a discreet man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain poured down and the floods came and the winds blew and lashed against that house, but it did not cave in, for it had been founded on the rock. 26 Furthermore, everyone hearing these sayings of mine and not doing them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain poured down and the floods came and the winds blew and struck against that house, and it caved in, and its collapse was great.”

And Matthew 22:35-37

And one of them, versed in the Law, tested him by asking: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’

The Divine Name King James Bible also uses "Jehovah" there since Jesus was quoting the Hebrew Scriptures which also has "Jehovah your God" in that commandment (as evidenced by ancient Hebrew manuscripts; there are more reasons how you can tell that that's what he really said, including the hint at Jeremiah 23:27). Most people professing to be Christians do not love Jehovah with their whole heart and with their whole soul and with their whole mind. They don't even like praising His name or sanctifying it. Jehovah is not their friend. Jehovah is not their shepherd. Jehovah is not their Rock, their refuge, etc.

I AM JEHOVAH, and there is no one else. ♫ (Isaiah 45)

You may also wanna have a look at song 1 and take it from there if one wants to follow some of the advice given by Jesus in the video above (from John 17:3). The youtube channel of the last 2 videos above has a playlist with almost all of them (1-134).
edit on 19-5-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: rickymouse
I know some people who are Christians that actually incorporate Jesus's teachings in their life. They are very good people. You can find these people, they are happy, they are very helpful, they will give you the shirt off of their back if you need it. They are not judgemental at all. They help others just to help others, not for monetary or prestigious gain.

I know maybe twenty people like this, out of the thousands of Christians I know. They are rare but they do exist, scattered amongst the churches out there in this country.
I know a lot of people like this and not all of them are christians. Some are atheist, some are hindu, some have their own ideologies that they don't even talk about. I don't think any religion makes one person better. I think good people can fall into almost any category. We all know that not everything in the bible or the quran is something that will make all of our lives better. I think that is why most people throw these religions out of their lives. I can speak about my experiences when i really started reading the bible and i could not accept most of the old testament, and a great deal of the new testament. When i read the impossible claims, i didn't try to shoehorn those beliefs into my reality. I rejected the words because they didn't match my observations of the world. I recognise these as just stories. Just like greek mythology. These stories are supposed to teach you about how a person develops from a young person into an adult with responsibilities. But it falls short in so many ways. what it does show is that people can believe anything you teach them. Whether it can be proven to be true or not. Once you have taught a child something, it is very difficult for them to accept anything else.

You are absolutely right, there are many people of scattered religions and even non religious people who do what Jesus taught as good. I just referred to the Christians because the thread complained about Christians not following what Jesus taught.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I mean really your are so much more holier than Paul, as a matter of fact you are so holy even Jesus cant stand your stink.

Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I have never known Christians to be judgmental or bigoted. I think you probably see in others what you yourself reflect.

i was good friends growing up with a very christian family and would go to church with them on sundays. i ran into many who made it their mission to "save" people and would badger them non stop and tell them how if they didnt convert they were full of sin and their motive was to save them. this was a small minority out of the masses. i just feel like people never forget when they have a run in with one of the extremists. most are normal people though and u wouldnt even know they were christian unless u asked them. theres always that small % of crazy no matter the group.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

No I am like Paul. I used to live according to the flesh and be subjected to its desires. But now I live according to the Spirit and follow the desires of the Holy Spirit, which is obedient to the father's laws.

Romans 7 is discussing Paul's past. You must keep reading to realize the work the Holy Spirit did in Paul and who he became after giving his life to Christ.

Romans 8 Life through the Spirit.

8 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.

12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. 15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves (to sin), so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

When Paul was a Pharisee living under the law he was a prisoner to his flesh.

When Paul was transformed by the Holy Spirit he became a slave to the Holy Spirit, obedience, righteousness.

Paul is talking about his past life of sin and his present life living through the Spirit in obedience to righteousness.

You are mistaken for thinking I have said I am better than Paul. I am a servant of Christ Jesus only. A slave to the Holy Spirit by choice .

Jesus said "sin no more". The pastor at church might claim that is impossible, but Paul did not.
edit on 19-5-2017 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

People who idolize and worship Jesus seem to be the opposite of what Jesus taught.

If they comply with the 10 Commandments its OK

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic
Psalms 144

May Jehovah, my Rock, be praised,

Who trains my hands for battle,

My fingers for warfare.

2 He is my loyal love and my stronghold,

My secure refuge* and my rescuer, [Or “secure height.”]

My shield and the One in whom I have taken shelter,

The One subduing peoples under me.
15 Happy is the people for whom it is this way!

Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!

My previous comment just didn't seem complete without it (especially with my mention of "their Rock" earlier). Allthough the song and bible quotations above are included in the playlist I linked earlier.

Oh, and before people get the wrong impression from the mention of "warfare" in the quotation above (or would like to go there in their minds), the warfare spoken of there is spiritual warfare, not physical (violent). Details:

Jehovah Equips Us!

This now follows up on the song above as well as the term "loyal love" in the quotation from Psalms 144 above:
Song 18 God is Love vocals
edit on 20-5-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Well I live likewise too.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic
Psalms 34:3

American Standard Version
Oh magnify Jehovah with me, And let us exalt his name together.

Darby Bible Translation
Magnify Jehovah with me, and let us exalt his name together.

Young's Literal Translation
Ascribe ye greatness to Jehovah with me, And we exalt His name together.

Psalms 34 (NW)

I will praise Jehovah at all times;

His praise will be on my lips constantly.

3 Magnify Jehovah along with me;

Let us exalt his name together.

4 I inquired of Jehovah, and he answered me.

He rescued me from all my fears.

7 The angel of Jehovah camps all around those fearing Him,

And he rescues them.

8 Taste and see that Jehovah is good;

Happy is the man who takes refuge in him.

9 Fear Jehovah, all you his holy ones,

For those who fear him lack nothing.

11 Come, my sons, listen to me;

I will teach you the fear of Jehovah.

12 Who among you takes pleasure in life

And would love to see many good days?

13 Then guard your tongue from what is bad,

Your lips from speaking deception.

14 Turn away from what is bad and do what is good;

Seek peace and pursue it.

15 The eyes of Jehovah are on the righteous,

And his ears listen to their cry for help.

16 But the face of Jehovah is against those doing what is bad,

To erase all memory of them from the earth.

Just remember in the quotations above the concept of "fearing" Jehovah is speaking of "having a reverential awe for" or "have reverence for", it's a different type of fear than the "fears" spoken of in verse 4 (which are dreadful fears). So: "Magnify Jehovah along with me; Let us exalt his name together." Cause demonstrating the verses below falls under the category "doing what is bad" and coming back to the OP "behav[ing] nothing like [Jesus'] teachings" (remember my first quotations in this thread that showed those teachings, in particular the quotation about the "greatest and first commandment" in Matthew 22:37,38 and the quotations in the last video of my 1st comment in this thread).

Isaiah 29:13, 16a (NW)

13 Jehovah says: “This people approaches me with their mouth

And they honor me with their lips,

But their heart is far removed from me;

And their fear of me is based on commands of men that they have been taught.
16 How you twist things!

Matthew 15:6b-9
...So you have made the word of God invalid because of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you when he said: 8 ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’”

The "me" in there is referring to Jehovah God. Or simply God if you consider the patterned behaviour of those spoken of there who won't say Jehovah but simply use "God" or "Allah" (Arabic for "God") in their demonstration of hypocrisy and twisting things about God to their liking or preferences (their preferred theologies or theological doctrines usually). Hey, at least they're not as far gone as those who have come to the point of writing "G-d". Of course their spiritual fathers or teachers/rabbis have been at it* a little bit longer.

*: it = Jeremiah 23:27a: "They intend to make my people forget my name...", "my name" is referring to "Jehovah" again. As honest bible translations will show in verse 24 or 29 which both use that name as you will find it in the ASV, DBY, YLT, NWT, NW and quite a number of lesser well known bible translations that aren't listed on biblehub.com (I usually quote from there when using different bible translations at once) because "narrow is the gate and cramped the road..and few are finding it" (Matthew 7:13,14).

Coming back to doing (or behaving) as Jesus taught and following the commandments that he taught especially the one he pointed out as the "greatest and first commandment":

edit on 21-5-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
And since "mercy" was also mentioned in the OP:

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted dfnj2015
People who idolize and worship Jesus seem to be the opposite of what Jesus taught. People seem very judgmental, arrogant, belligerent, bigots, and prejudice in their thinking. I've just never been interested in Holier Than Thou church near my house. I've never had any interested in being like any of the people who idolize there.

It’s because they’re still living in the Valley of the Shadow…the veil has yet to be lifted from their eyes…They live in fear of Hell, rather than the true light that Jesus spoke of…

And because they see themselves as “saved”, this gives some, a sense of “holier than thou” perspective; whereby they see themselves as being special and above others etc…

This mind-set also puts them at enmity with other types of Religious denominational believers that don’t belong to “their clique”…because they’re in the “true saved camp”…while others are seen as heretics, heathens or whatever…

They follow the religion about Jesus, all the while quoting Paul and thinking their following Jesus by doing so…

- JC

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join