It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The definition of Racism sucks.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Is it racist to say Mexicans are lazy? Some would think so.

But.. this statement has no implication of who is saying it.

Racism requires you to think your race is superior- if a Mexican says this is it racist? But anyone else?

Is it possible to call Mexicans lazy without implying you believe you're superior? It is possible, but will never be taken that way.

I'm white, but I believe that generally speaking Asians are superior. Is it even possible for me to be racist in this condition? Or am I an Asian-Racist?

That's also a generalization, that I consider a generalization as the smartest persons I know are not Asians. People are unique, and while culture differences can spring, ultimately individual differences matter more.

But if I were to go on a limb, and say Mexico has my least favorite culture, it's nothing personally against them, am I considered a racist? I don't like cheese beans and rice, and that's 90% of their food. I don't like their Music, their history, their politics, their arts, etc. It's not like I personally hold any of this against the character of Mexican people I meet, some of them are more Western and less interested in Latin culture than American's themselves. I mean at this point it's easy to say there are Mexicans, that dislike Mexican culture verses Westernized culture. What is the difference between them and me that they can easily say things against Mexico?

Anyways, my friends freaked out when I said "I'm as lazy as a Mexican." I explained I disliked Mexico and was trying to explain this is different than all 'Mexicans' and like the country/culture vs actual people, yet they called me racist -_-, nerdy girl in glasses instantly calls me deplorable Trump supporter, and I literally have more Mexican friends than any of these kids. Not only that, if I'm as 'lazy AS a Mexican' this doesn't mean I think I'm SUPERIOR....Does it?

I really appreciate history. I would rather have Mexico in it than not, but it's my least favorite story. Nothing I hate, just least favorite. I'm sure someone could just as easily say the same about African Culture or Islam without intending to imply they are 'superior people' or others are 'inferior', but then it starts to confuse me as to what Racism really is. A lot of racist things I know of are these same stereotypical references and do not correlate with believing anyone is superior...Saying Black People like Chicken, or Asians can't Drive, doesn't translate to me that your race is somehow better because of this. Is putting down another race without seeking to reference your own- 'not' racism? I obviously don't feel like a racist, but this really confuses me to what 'racism' is, when most of our cultural examples are seemingly inaccurate to the definition.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Mordekaiser

Racism gets over used.

Discrimination is more applicable in many situations that racist gets used in.

Discrimination - treating someone differently based on gender, creed or race.

Racism- thinking certain races are superior.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I agree that the definition of racism is a tricky thing. However, you've clearly crossed over that line.

P.S. Mexico is in the West.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

In what way though? I simply can't like something the least?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

The Chinese have an N word for white people, "gwai lo". It means white ghost and is derogatory.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Yeah my roommates Asian friends call him that, jokingly. I guess. Then there's also this weird 'racism is good joking material' idea. Black and white people call each other N word constantly 'joking' ontop of 'realtalk'.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Saying a landmass sucks (I hate the desert) isn't racism. I hate mexico
Saying a culture sucks (I hate mexican culture) isn't racism, but it can be seen as a bit elitist..perhaps nationalistic (patriotism is good, nationalism is a trap)

Saying you are "lazy as a mexican" is stereotyping...and that is a part of racism..first off, mexicans are actually hard effin workers. its sort of why they are stealing all the hard work jobs here in the US. they work like ants and get paid next to nothing...so the stereotype doesn't even make sense.

Happy Cinco De Mayo

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Each race has certain strengths and weaknesses which really don't have anything to do with individuals. You can make a case that Asians are smarter on average than other races. You can make a case that blacks are better athlete on average than other races. You can say men are generally stronger than women. However, none of these things are true at the individual level. There are dumb Asians, clumsy blacks and physically strong women.

I think as long as we view people as individuals the generalizations are generally harmless and often true.

Facts are not racist.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Oh, and can you be racist against your own race.

Sure. Look at the latest white guilt morons demanding all white people are toxic colonialists who will never know oppression, blah blah...moron racists who believe that another race is greater than their own.

racism and retardation it seems.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I think as long as we view people as individuals the generalizations are generally harmless and often true.

individuals yes.
The whole Asians are smarter though...I dont believe that to be a genetic thing, thats a cultural thing. a focus on mental agility as a culture is going to produce better thinkers

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

This makes sense.

My idea Asians are superior is pretty much based solely on how they treat each other. And that's not well formulated, Asia is huge and they're racists to each other too.

But there's a respect factor I envy in their culture verses ours. Still, I could drop the idea as easily as I picked it up. It's still slightly confusing how you can be racist admitting you envy another race though. Discriminatory makes sense.
edit on 5-5-2017 by Mordekaiser because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Liking or not liking certain aspects of a culture is not racist. Believing that all of any particular race exhibit a demeaning characteristic is racist. To say Mexican's are lazy when for a century or more it has been mostly Mexican's picking our fruit and vegetables in near like slave-labor conditions for very little pay is extremely racist and wrong.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

The whole Asians are smarter is ridiculous. This stereotype is based upon Asians that have emigrated to the West. Generally, people who emigrate are either very well of financially or driven to succeed. If Asians were so much smarter than other races then why do so many Chinese live in such squalor?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

They're not called lazy based on their ethic though, it goes back to their culture- sitting under the sun in a sombrero and the Siestas. They're not called lazy because of how they work, they're called lazy because of their behavior when not working..

I also wasn't implying they're as lazy as I was myself in the context of the stereotype. To what degree can it be interpreted what I was saying verses intent? That's a problem with racism for me.. There is likely Mexicans themselves that embrace the idea they're a lazy culture, and this is again confusing. You might think it's super offensive, but American's are considered a lazy culture too and it's in a much more derogatory way when expressed, but because I'm American, is it not 'racism' then to call American's lazy? I would agree calling American's lazy is racism, but "As lazy as a Mexican" has slightly different meaning. If you think it makes NO sense, maybe you're looking at it wrong, it makes sense to me why they're described this way- I still understand general behavior verses individual matters, and their culture has massively advanced from those days.
edit on 5-5-2017 by Mordekaiser because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Come on, not all Mexicans are lazy, just the ones I used to know. They were too burnt out from partying all night to work hard at their job.

I was only a white racist when I owned my off white 69 mustang with N50 15 tires on the back and headers and a double pumper holly on the engine. I used to beat the crap out of those other colored cars those days.

I don't take racism too serious, I think we are all pawns serving a small percentage of those who control our society. Hopefully they do not decide they do not need us anymore, that could be happening shortly.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

The whole Asians are smarter is ridiculous. This stereotype is based upon Asians that have emigrated to the West. Generally, people who emigrate are either very well of financially or driven to succeed. If Asians were so much smarter than other races then why do so many Chinese live in such squalor?

Don't confuse intelligence with luxury.
If the two were linked, the richest we have in the west would be filled with scientists, not pop stars and businessmen (glorified import/export dealers).

The east asian cultures, especially Japanese and Singapore, are very sharp people due to a cultural focus on intelligence, knowledge, wisdom, etc.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mordekaiser
My idea Asians are superior is pretty much based solely on how they treat each other.

Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, and a few other places for sure. intellectual, respectful, etc. Master race really.
Then you have SE asia..Indonesia, NK, and other areas where its the opposite

Generally speaking the same people, a semi-similar culture, but words different. All about the nations focus I think.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm just as lazy as an American. Now I have to explain why my remark is borderline stupid and dumb.

Don't blame the mexicans. Your favorite corporate beer company made this day a holiday.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I stopped caring about being insulted by mastering it with a battle axe wit.
I am not now and never HAVE been a racist.
I deal only with individuals and their acts.
Collectivism is a failure of logic.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The term 'Racist' has been nearly bastardized into oblivion. Frankly I think it might just become a term with little or no meaning left.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join