It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The definition of Racism sucks.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Mordekaiser

I'm not sure that I understand the point it is that you are trying to make. The simple fact is, regardless of intent, the phrase you keep repeating is blatantly racist. You might be a nice guy and not discriminate against people but when you make that statement, it shows you to be a racist.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I think context and intent are also important to judge.

Joking around between friends? Stand-up comedy?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Mexican is not a race, it is a nationality, and there are White/Caucasian Mexicans. in fact the percentage of White/Caucasian is said to range from nine to twenty percent.

then there are the Biracial Mexican (mestizos).

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think context and intent are also important to judge.

Joking around between friends? Stand-up comedy?

Exactly. What Daniel Tosh and Chappelle do is comedy. When Michael Richards (Kramer) berated a heckler by calling him a N-word so to insult him, that was racism.

If you're white with black friends, and they're okay with you using the word in the context they are, it's acceptable. If you're using it as an insult it's racist. It's really not that difficult to know when language is meant to be offensive and when it's meant to be playful/endearing.

When women refer to their friends as "my b***es" that's okay, but that doesn't mean you can walk up to that same women and call her a bitch.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Well since"racism" is a social construct we need to stop using it as a seperator of people just based on looks and other non important bodily differences.

In the past People were stupid enough to think we are all seperate when in fact Genetically we are almost all the same except for minor variation,but not enough so to say its a whole new "race"

We call this ETHNIC differentiation. Scientist and government both need to stop and rewrite the biology books to reflect this because its nothing but a detriment to society.

Would people accept this overnight? of course not,but its better than living under the belief of different races when its not true actually.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I'll bet my wooden leg that you're a mexican, mate.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Yeah,good old off shore racism. In NZ white people are called pakeha,short for pakehakeha,meaning " unwanted guest" but supposedly means house flea. But in its purest form it mean anyone not Maori...supposedly. Racism's meaning can be used any way you want. For example,my step father of Samoan decent,I used to call him gollywog,or Muppet....did he mind?....not in the least...back in the 70s he didn't....you try call your dad a " derogatory " name these days and you are racist. Now I'm 46,I think the meaning of racism needs to go home, get in bed,and cry its self to sleep . Bad racism. But there will always be racism,cause humans need to differentiate that way.
edit on 6-5-2017 by hiddenNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I believe that skin colour very often relates to culture.
We get frustrated with each others culture, and then hate on the skin colour.

Yes, Mexicans are lazy - most people are.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   

if someone who believes in aliens and speaks of them in a derogatory fashion, are they racist??

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I agree. While West and Middle east was killing each other over what religion was superior in controlling the faith driven, east taught awareness and critical thinking.

duality VS non duality.

edit on 6-5-2017 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Davg80

if someone who believes in aliens and speaks of them in a derogatory fashion, are they racist??

Yes because they are a ACTUAL DIFFERENT RACE,unlike humans who are just different ETHNICITIES.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Saying you are "lazy as a mexican" is stereotyping...and that is a part of racism..first off, mexicans are actually hard effin workers. its sort of why they are stealing all the hard work jobs here in the US. they work like ants and get paid next to nothing...so the stereotype doesn't even make sense.

Did you seriously just counter his stereotype with your own stereotype?

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Well since"racism" is a social construct we need to stop using it as a seperator of people just based on looks and other non important bodily differences.

You're anti-evolution?

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Saying you are "lazy as a mexican" is stereotyping...and that is a part of racism..first off, mexicans are actually hard effin workers. its sort of why they are stealing all the hard work jobs here in the US. they work like ants and get paid next to nothing...so the stereotype doesn't even make sense.

Did you seriously just counter his stereotype with your own stereotype?

Yep
and it proved a point

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

We get it, you want to change the term "Racism" so you feel less awful for holding racist beliefs.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mordekaiser
Is it racist to say Mexicans are lazy?

Yes, it is!

But.. this statement has no implication of who is saying it.

It makes no difference, it is a 'racist' statement.
If we cannot accept Mexican as a 'race', then it is 'countryist or 'nationalist'.
Still one of those ignorant, nasty, hateful categories wherewith we can easily dismiss a group or people.

Racism requires you to think your race is superior

Thinking others are 'inferior', or others are 'superior', according to 'race', is all racist.

I'm white, but I believe that generally speaking Asians are superior. Is it even possible for me to be racist in this condition? Or am I an Asian-Racist?

Attributing inferior or superior qualities according to 'race' is racism!

We are all racist, it is hardwired!
We are either practicing or we are recovering.
Denial = practicing.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join