It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students suspended for liking racist photos on Instagram

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Sometimes I flag posts here that I do not agree with, because more flags mean more people may read it and we can get more opinions.

If you accidently star or flag a racist post, you should be banned.

(not really, but see where we are?)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
If the school receives federal funding and the offensive action was not done on school property, using school resources,in purview of school officials or in anyway connected to the school then they are powerless.

However the water gets muddy when the offense depicts acts of violence/terrorism. Unfortunately our country does have a brief moment in history where terrorizing and murdering blacks via the noose was a fairly common thing. So it is better to precede with caution and some sort of follow up into incidents like this.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

lol, Exactly my point.

While I do not agree with the picture being posted, it was stated it was a private account and not linked to the school in any means.
The school over stepped it's authority. Free speech should prevail here.

Here's the kicker. The picture didn't cause any harm except upsetting some people, but the school's public shaming caused two students to be injured.
I smell a lawsuit.
edit on 5-5-2017 by ProjectedLogic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Pandaram

So they should be punished for life for expressing their thoughts.

Yes.
we all know what thought those suivide bombers and truck terrorist had aint we?
How this thoughts would be different? Its just matter of time befor this racists commit terror..

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProjectedLogic
a reply to: intrptr

They aren't necessarily defending the person who posted the picture, but going after someone who hit the like button is going to far. I believe that's the main point on this OP.

I've accidental hit the like button before and didn't notice. Would that make me a racist who's making death threats?

Not to mention the public shaming the students where put through. Is that standard school policy?

Your making the distinction between online hate vs. real world.
'
Logic follows if they get away with (that) anywhere, then its 'acceptable' everywhere.

link   

So you're on board for censorship and punishing people for thinking in an unapproved manner.

link   
HEY, KIDS...
STAR THIS POST...AND GET AN 'A+'...

link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Sometimes I flag posts here that I do not agree with, because more flags mean more people may read it and we can get more opinions.

If you accidently star or flag a racist post, you should be banned.

(not really, but see where we are?)

Oh I agree. Dark road society is headed down. It is surreal because it seems like yesterday when I was in Highschool (mid 90's) and none of this crap was going on. There was no social media but still.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

we all know what thought those suivide bombers and truck terrorist had aint we?

no we dont

being a racist doesn't qualify you as a terrorist
an asshole yes

link   
I wonder how many suspensions there will be for people liking actual terrorist organisations, like Antifa?

0 would be my guess.

Which is how it should be. Never understood why schools feel the need to look at people's facebook, instagram etc.
edit on -050008am5kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
Liking racism likeing terrorism. There is no smoke with out fire all. Bet these are real dangerous racist scums.
Hope this morons name put on criminal list and never able to get a job or lead normal life.

"Love blacks or else!!!"?

No thats not how it works.

You sir are deranged.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

What smoke?

What if I decided to draw a black person living in the jungle within a bunch of apes in my own bedroom?

Should I never be able to get a job?

Why would you draw a bunch of apes in your bedroom?

Strange.

How the world turns. When I was a kid, we'd get in trouble for wearing school uniforms and fighting after school in the park. GAVE THE SCHOOL A BAD IMAGE.

never got in trouble for drawing nooses around other students necks and stuff... but we didn't have the internet back then.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That might be true for the person who posted the image itself.
Logic doesn't dictate that just because someone clicked a button, in a private manner, outside of the school, should be punished in this manner for being a "racist".

Maybe they just clicked it because it was a friends post? Maybe they found it offensive but funny? Maybe we don't know the context of the people who clicked liked at that very moment. To make a judgement on them is ignorance.

Simply put, it was done in private, outside of the school. Why did the school punish them?
edit on 5-5-2017 by ProjectedLogic because: spelling

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

So you're on board for censorship and punishing people for thinking in an unapproved manner.

I think everyone should be treated same.
One treatment for terrorist and another treatment for racist? Not very nice aint it?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Should murderers and shoplifters get the same sentence when convicted?
edit on b000000312017-05-05T08:40:57-05:0008America/ChicagoFri, 05 May 2017 08:40:57 -0500800000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

What smoke?

What if I decided to draw a black person living in the jungle within a bunch of apes in my own bedroom?

Should I never be able to get a job?

Why would you draw a bunch of apes in your bedroom?

Strange.

How the world turns. When I was a kid, we'd get in trouble for wearing school uniforms and fighting after school in the park. GAVE THE SCHOOL A BAD IMAGE.

never got in trouble for drawing nooses around other students necks and stuff... but we didn't have the internet back then.

It was hypothetical, I was trying to put into perspective the issue we are dealing with.

What is allowed and what isn't?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram

I think everyone should be treated same.
One treatment for terrorist and another treatment for racist? Not very nice aint it?

Oh no, by all means, please freely express yourself!

This line of thought is illuminating!

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Does anyone else get the sinking feeling that we're being forced back into a homogenized "groupthink" culture and society like back in the 50's? Except on steroids.

It's just that the racism is way less overt and much less aggressive (pretty passive aggressive from every whichway if you ask me. I thought we were past all of this at this point?), and liberalism is much more overt and "in your face" aggressive.

I dunno just a thought. We're having "I'm different!!! You should be different too!" shoved down our throats so hard and fast that nobody ends up different at all.... Do as I say, and say as I say; oh and also think as I say too.

Having said that; I in no way agree or condone what was going on on Instagram, really terrible honestly. However, I find it disturbing that dumb kids were punished for literally tapping a "❤️" button on a cellphone screen...

ETA; also, if the account was private that means someone/student found it necessary to report all parties. Some straight Orwell shiii right there..
edit on 5-5-2017 by Ilovemygreatdanes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ProjectedLogic

That might be true for the person who posted the image itself.
Logic doesn't dictate that just because someone clicked a button, in a private manner, outside of the school, should be punished in this manner for being a "racist".

From the schools perspective, Yes_it_does. For reasons already mentioned.

Edit: We're not addressing freedom of individual rights, but school policy regarding hatred based on 'skin color'. Everyone knows that on line group think is as prevalent at school as off campus.
edit on 5-5-2017 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Oh you poor racist babies can't have your little free racist world?

You poor poor racist babies.
*single tear*

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join