It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students suspended for liking racist photos on Instagram

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
If some kid in the privacy of his room made a drawing of where to place bombs around the school and shared it with friends who were receptive to the idea, is it just free speech?

If I were the black student's parents, I would sure be afraid for my child's safety, and I would be demanding that the school do something about it.

I don't totally disagree with you, but how do we prove intent?

Remember this picture?

With the caption "Why not" ?

Times were in turmoil when this came out, not only can this be perceived as a threat, but can also be perceived as an advocation for his assassination. Nobody seemed to have a problem with this.

Who gets to determine what's acceptable and whats not?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Who gets to determine what's acceptable and whats not?

Me ? and my scaly offspring ?
Buck Rogers ?
Jim Carrey ?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ProjectedLogic

The students who clicked like, or even the one who just said "yep" should not be punished.

To be the ones that got away with it? As much as I dislike 'blanket policies' this has to be applied, 'in this case' about race hatred.

About the game last night, newest rock band craze? 'click away'.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I think the kid who posted the photo of the noose around the neck of a specific student should at the very least have been
rigorously questioned by law enforcement officers as to his intent. I wouldn't have a problem if the students who "liked" the photo were also interrogated. This was a threat to bodily harm, whether it was meant as a joke or not, it should have been taken seriously. I would demand no less than that as that child's parent.

I never saw that cover photo. I have a problem with it. I hate Trump with a passion, but I don't like any advocating of assassination of our president. There are plenty of nut jobs who would see that and be incited to do it. It looks like it was from another country and not America, but at the very least, CIA should have paid a visit to the publication's publishers.

It's one thing to post something racist, like portraying a black person as an ape, it's totally another to depict or incite bodily harm.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
Liking racism likeing terrorism. There is no smoke with out fire all. Bet these are real dangerous racist scums.
Hope this morons name put on criminal list and never able to get a job or lead normal life.

What about the racist scum part of Black lives matter? Should they be put on a list too?

Actually come to think of it most likely already have criminal records for theft, drugs and violence

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I agree that the guy that posted the photo should at the very least be further investigated and reported to the parent's or even authorities, but in this case I think the school took matters into their own hands and i think that's where the problem is. It's all too (as Cowboy put it) Orwellian.

Is there a difference between somebody that clicked a like button with somebody that didn't, even if they both felt the same way? Does clicking like make him more racist than the other guy?
edit on 5-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I agree that liking the posts are too ambiguous but I think from school's perspective it doesn't matter because they could cause disruptions at school.
My question is how did the school find out? Maybe I missed it?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Liking racism likeing terrorism. There is no smoke with out fire all. Bet these are real dangerous racist scums.
Hope this morons name put on criminal list and never able to get a job or lead normal life.

Do you apply the same standards to young black kids in the inner cities?
Do you think they should never be able to shake the thug lifestyle and lead a normal productive life?

So THATS why inner city minorities are poor, they had their job privileged taken because of anti-white sentiments!

Logic checks out! lol

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This story is sketchy in many different ways, and I do not think all the information about this incident is in the story.

ahs.ausdk12.org...
I think that is a link to the school discipline policy. I would bet the kids parents had to read and sign papers stating they understand the rules. Harassment/Cyberbullying is on the list of activities that would be subject to discipline. The story points out the problem image is of another student and a coach. I think the school would be within its rights to follow through with its policy.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
i thought they found some random images off the internet at first. they did it around a fellow student AND a coach? i gotta agree it was a dick move. sends a message you cannot post images of fellow students.

i am a libertarian, but you can post anything you want about yourself, but you cannot cause harm of another.

as a libertarian, if someone has that fetish where they want to cut off their limbs, hell do it, none of my business. but that guy cannot cut the limbs off another. then again, that amputee fetish is a disease lol. but then again, its none of my business as long as he does not cause me, or anyone else harm.

you post a pic of someone else without their permission, that counts as harm. then you post racist crap on top of that? harm.

suspending the other students quickly puts out a fire, if those pics were 'popular' among the school, now people will think twice about stealing other people's pics.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

I do not see how "free speech" enters this equation when the parents had to sign off on the discipline policy. There are 3 or 4 things on the discipline policy the school could claim were violated.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
I agree that liking the posts are too ambiguous but I think from school's perspective it doesn't matter because they could cause disruptions at school.
My question is how did the school find out? Maybe I missed it?

I can understand the general idea, but...

Much of what happens in the world could cause "disruption" at school. Good luck policing the world. I suppose that is what this is actually about.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

They laughed at jokes, so their lives should be ruined?

I don't thing you understand the definition of racism.

What they did was discriminatory at worst.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: dantanna

I do not see how "free speech" enters this equation when the parents had to sign off on the discipline policy. There are 3 or 4 things on the discipline policy the school could claim were violated.

Given this seems to be a public school, can the school create more strict rules above the state or federal level?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

What happens in the world isn't the fault of students.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

What happens in the world isn't the fault of students.

There wasn't much of a disruption, at least it seems so.

The disruption occurs when it's brought to school, which can also happen with world events.

I will agree there could be a distinction made.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

public shaming doesn`t seem to be on the list of disciplines, so the school violated their own discipline code but I guess that`s ok as long as they had good intentions.

liking a person who harasses other people also doesn`t seem to be a violation of any of the school codes.
it also doesn`t clearly state that the school discipline code applies to all aspects of your life both in school and out of school.
since it`s called a school discipline code and not a life discipline code one would assume that it doesn`t apply to your life outside of school since the school has no legal authority to discipline anyone for things they do outside of school.

edit on 5-5-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Cyber bullying means "Cyber", which means internet, which means not on school grounds.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I posted a link to the schools discipline policy. It lists Harassment/cyberbullying among other things as cause for discipline. The policy is board approved. The parents of the children would have to sign off on the policy for the kids to attend the school. The parents would have to fight the district about the policy, and that would be hard to do if the parents signed off on the policy.
I have no idea what california state law is with respect to cyberbullying, but I would bet the schools discipline policy had to have been checked out at the state level and approved prior to the school year.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

The disruption occurs when it's brought to school

That's the point. That's why I asked how did the school find out? Someone might have found out and "brought it to school". And some students might hear of it and cause problems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join