It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Pass Bill to End Overtime Pay

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Have any of you hard working people ever worked 12 hours overtime? In other words 20 hours straight…

You feel good even though you're tired as hell. WHY do you feel good, because you made some big bucks and look forward to getting it...

Work 20 hours straight and see how you feel getting a day off instead of the big bucks

In this wonderful bill what are the time constraints on this

I remember the night of the OJ massacre we worked at Schering 18 hours plus

Boy that was big bucks

edit on 2-5-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Employees choice $$$ or banked comp time.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: CB328
One of the biggest problems with this is that it removed the incentive to not overwork people. Without a financial penalty companies will feel that they can make people work as much as they want.

But again, if hours are being accrued, then it all comes down to how the comp time is negotiated. As I said, saving up hours so you can take a couple week vacation every couple months would be pretty great. (that mixed in with vacation time and you could have quite a nice social life).

I like money, but I dont want to be working just to see a rising bank account. Taking time off to explore and live life is key to sanity imo..else you are just a worker bee until you grow old.

Well, as far as I remember, it's very rare one can choose to work OT anytime/amount they want.

Usually it has to be signed off by the boss.

How long do you think he'd last if his dept was not there a lot or racking up huge OT?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

This could change that. I would take the 1 1/2 hours sometimes. I think this is a pretty cool idea .

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

True. The bill does not address that specifically but could be construed as coercion. "Hey you'll need to take a week off because we're slow next week." I don't know of many places where that happens but I do know that it does happen.

If this bill becomes law, then I would surmise that more than one or two per company will take advantage thus ruling out the "lazy" factor or anything involving reviews/raises but that is my opinion.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI
There is no point anymore. He is clearly determined to not only not read the bill, but convinced himself there is a paragraph written in invisible ink that states the passing of this bill will usher in the apocalypse for all working humans in America.

I reserved my comments until reading all the fine print. Even the 160 hours banked can still be paid out in cash if the employee changes their mind.

“(E) WRITTEN REQUEST.—An employee may withdraw an agreement described in paragraph (2)(B) at any time. An employee may also request in writing that monetary compensation be provided, at any time, for all compensatory time accrued that has not yet been used. Within 30 days of receiving the written request, the employer shall provide the employee the monetary compensation due in accordance with paragraph (6).

Not only that, the bill does in fact lay out penalties for violations and will be recording the number of complaints for violations.

EC. 5. GAO report.

Beginning 2 years after the date of enactment of this Act and each of the 3 years thereafter, the Comptroller General of the United States shall submit a report to Congress providing, with respect to the reporting period immediately prior to each such report—

(1) data concerning the extent to which employers provide compensatory time pursuant to section 7(s) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as added by this Act, and the extent to which employees opt to receive compensatory time;

(2) the number of complaints alleging a violation of such section filed by any employee with the Secretary of Labor;

(3) the number of enforcement actions commenced by the Secretary or commenced by the Secretary on behalf of any employee for alleged violations of such section;

(4) the disposition or status of such complaints and actions described in paragraphs (2) and (3); and

(5) an account of any unpaid wages, damages, penalties, injunctive relief, or other remedies obtained or sought by the Secretary in connection with such actions described in paragraph (3).

This bill is pretty much damn near as close to bulletproof as it can get.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
The bill is terrible on all kinds of levels…
One, I’ve been in the work space and know there will be subtle pressure put on people to accept this slave-like work rule—peer pressure will set in.

“The difference, Democrats say, is that if Republicans get their way, companies will get away with not paying overtime by pressuring workers to choose comp time or by only giving excess hours to those staff who’ve done so.”Text

“It forces the employee to give the employer a loan -- unsecured, interest-free -- of the overtime pay, in order to have the hope -- not a guarantee, but the hope -- of having some time off later on,” said Eisenbrey. Either way, he said, employers still get to decide whether to actually grant their workers’ requests for time off.

I’ve been in a non union shop for years working big projects, I know how badly something like this will work.

The GOP touts this garbage as family orientated…what a joke. So sure you spend time with your family BUT HAVE NO MONEY!

www.bloomberg.com...

Wait a minute.

You used your bro's SS to work? At 14?

Isn't that like, against the law or something?

Identity theft? Fraud?

lol

edit on 5 2 2017 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Making America suck again by taking away every opportunity and benefit from working people . . .

Isn't that who voted for him?

Will this hit home and make them wake up?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Then choose to take the #ing $$$ and shutting the # up now please.
a reply to: burgerbuddy
not only fraud and identity theft, but will probably play the child exploitation card later as well.
a reply to: Annee
And as usual, comment on the false headline instead of reading the bill itself.
here it is... again

edit on 5-2-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Please read the bill. It's nothing of the sort the OP would have us believe...

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Making America suck again by taking away every opportunity and benefit from working people . . .

Could you explain how Annie? ...please?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

The only thing that would worry me so far is that employers may and could change their PTO to work itself around this law. In essence they could dictate their slow times and be more finicky with the OT and how it is doled out. In big production shops that take shutdowns and big maintenance projects on, it could be another tool.

However if it coincides with current methods, we are all good.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Have any of you hard working people ever worked 12 hours overtime? In other words 20 hours straight…

Yes.

Work 20 hours straight and see how you feel getting a day off instead of the big bucks

Work 20 hours straight and you just made 12 hours OT. That would likely throw you into a different tax bracket. The way it was, comp time would get you a day and a half off, hour for hour. Under this bill, for working that long just one time, you get 18 hours off, meaning you can take off early Wednesday and not show back up till Monday morning... and get your normal week's pay without using your vacation time!

News flash: not everyone is doing everything for just money. I tend to take time off between jobs, as much as a couple months if I can afford it. I can't take green paper with me when it's all over, but I bet I can take the memories of spending time with my family.

Irony: someone who obviously loves money more than life itself crying about the evil of rich guys...

TheRedneck

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Yes. Yes, it is. Extremely against the law.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

You know you should learn to address people with a little respect

If you don't like what I post then don't read it

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: SaturnFX

One of the biggest problems with this is that it removed the incentive to not overwork people. Without a financial penalty companies will feel that they can make people work as much as they want.

But again, if hours are being accrued, then it all comes down to how the comp time is negotiated. As I said, saving up hours so you can take a couple week vacation every couple months would be pretty great. (that mixed in with vacation time and you could have quite a nice social life).

I like money, but I dont want to be working just to see a rising bank account. Taking time off to explore and live life is key to sanity imo..else you are just a worker bee until you grow old.

Well, as far as I remember, it's very rare one can choose to work OT anytime/amount they want.

Usually it has to be signed off by the boss.

How long do you think he'd last if his dept was not there a lot or racking up huge OT?

Man, I am working close to 60 hour weeks as is..and salary so no OT (complex story...working with family is a bitch). We are about to negotiate a sensible contract in a couple weeks though and I was literally considering this option today. hows that for synchronicity. I care more about a steady paycheck and time off than I do working to death with a ton of money in the bank I can never enjoy.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I'm not either.

I'm sure somewhere, at sometime, someone is going to game the system... Nature of the beast, I suppose.

But if it's all, or even mostly, above board, I'm not seeing a downside.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I think you should read the bill.
even a broken clock is right twice a day. I think this bill is really good as written. still looking for the poison pill in it, but seems pretty fantastic at a glance.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

You know you should learn to address people with a little respect

If you don't like what I post then don't read it

You should read the bill associated with the thread you're participating in. You hate 'buplicans, fine, is that the only reason you don't like this bill?

Still waiting for your reasons why it's a bad idea besides you don't like whom proposed it.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

depends on the person really. for me money doesnt have alot of value. id rather spend that time getting paid to hang out with my friends and family doing the things i enjoy

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join