It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occult versus Esoteric - The Correct Meanings

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

We often see the words "Occult" and "Esoteric" being used as interchangeable synonyms, in the wrong context, or incorrectly. These two words, though related, actually carry different connotations.

Occult

1530s, "secret, not divulged," from Middle French occulte and directly from Latin occultus "hidden, concealed, secret," past participle of occulere "cover over, conceal," from assimilated form of ob "over" + a verb related to celare "to hide," from PIE root *kel- "to cover, conceal, save." Meaning "not apprehended by the mind, beyond the range of understanding" is from 1540s. The association with the supernatural sciences (magic, alchemy, astrology, etc.) dates from 1630s.

Esoteric

1650s, from Greek esoterikos "belonging to an inner circle" (Lucian), from esotero "more within," comparative adverb of eso "within," from PIE *ens-o-, suffixed form of *ens, extended form of root *en "in". Classically applied to certain popular and non-technical writings of Aristotle, later to doctrines of Pythagoras. In English, first of Pythagorean doctrines.

Eso

word-forming element meaning" within," from Greek eso "within"

There is nothing inherently Satanic, evil, or wicked about these words. "Occult" means "hidden" and "Esoteric" means "within".

When alternative interpretations are intrinsic to a traditional story or symbol:

• If the alternative interpretation relates to the inner realm of man, it is an "esoteric" interpretation. These deal with matters of the mind, emotions, and immaterial facets of man.

• If the alternative interpretation relates to some form of concealed knowledge, it is an "occult" interpretation. These tend to deal with science and mathematics.

Occult may be Esoteric, and Esoteric may be Occult, but they are not the same.

edit on 4/27/17 by Sahabi because: Simple Thread

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

There is nothing inherently Satanic, evil, or wicked about these words. "Occult" means "hidden" and "Esoteric" means "within".

Except as practiced, usually 'hidden from view' means not only secret but when applied to lies, manipulation, deviance, greed, scams, stealing, etc., it becomes not so good.

Gossip, envy, slander, spite, revenge, maliciousness, usually these are carried out in secret.

You notice I left out the Devil, not really feeling more tirades about Gods and Devils today.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

But what if something is "hidden" "within"?.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Hiya again intrptr.

For every devil, there is a god, and sometimes the gods appreciate secrecy also.

Jesus directly spoke about keeping the Word of God secret from those who are unworthy, he sometimes met with his disciples in secret, he spoke about secrets, and the early church also used to meet in secrecy.

Luke 8:10-11

He said, “The knowledge of the secrets (mystēria, μυστήρια) of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that;
"Though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand."

This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God.

1 Corinthians 14:2

For the person who speaks in a foreign language is not actually speaking to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands him, because he is talking about secrets (mystēria, μυστήρια) by the Spirit.

Matthew 13

The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

This is why I speak to them in parables:
“Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand."

In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
“You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving."

For this people’s heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.

In these instances, "Secrets", is translated from the Greek; Mystēria (μυστήρια), which is defined by Christian Concordances as; a mystery, secret, of which initiation is necessary; in the NT: the counsels of God, once hidden but now revealed in the Gospel or some fact thereof; the Christian revelation generally; particular truths or details of the Christian revelation.

Mystery (Etymology)

early 14c., in a theological sense, "religious truth via divine revelation, hidden spiritual significance, mystical truth," from Anglo-French *misterie, Old French mistere "secret, mystery, hidden meaning" (Modern French mystère), from Latin mysterium "secret rite, secret worship; a secret thing," from Greek mysterion (usually in plural mysteria) "secret rite or doctrine," from mystes "one who has been initiated," from myein "to close, shut" (see mute (adj.)); perhaps referring to the lips (in secrecy) or to the eyes (only initiates were allowed to see the sacred rites).

The Greek word was used in Septuagint for "secret counsel of God," translated in Vulgate as sacramentum. Non-theological use in English, "a hidden or secret thing," is from late 14c. In reference to the ancient rites of Greece, Egypt, etc. it is attested from 1640s. Meaning "detective story" first recorded in English 1908.

Although, "Mystery", carries a modern connotation of a peculiar enigma, its contemporary Biblical meaning was that of secrecy and concealment.

Matthew 7:6

"Do not give dogs what is holy (hagion, ἅγιον); do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

We know that God and the Word of God are Holy, and if we correlate this with Matthew 13 and Luke 8, we come full-circle to "words" being held "secret" from the unworthy.

edit on 4/27/17 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: solve

But what if something is "hidden" "within"?.

In this case, the occult would be esoteric, and it would be time for an inner treasure hunt!

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sahabi

Esoteric

1650s, from Greek esoterikos "belonging to an inner circle" (Lucian), from esotero "more within," comparative adverb of eso "within," from PIE *ens-o-, suffixed form of *ens, extended form of root *en "in". Classically applied to certain popular and non-technical writings of Aristotle, later to doctrines of Pythagoras. In English, first of Pythagorean doctrines.

Eso

Hmmm...

That's odd. Odd and familiar.
edit on 27-4-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

For every devil, there is a god, and sometimes the gods appreciate secrecy also.

I know there is a spirit realm, I have seen its denizens. The fairy tale grew in the telling.

Ghosts are people without bodies right? If you believe in the spirit then you must admit that millions, billions of people have passed and are around somewhere.

Good people, benevolent spirits; bullies, murderers , bad spirits.

If they were a monster killer raper when they lived they probably didn't change much ...

How we get to demons and gods is speculative based on religious interpretation.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I'm guessing this is a depiction of Thoth.
Pretty cool picture.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

Esoteric

Eso

Hmmm...

That's odd. Odd and familiar.

"Lucian", as in, the 2nd Century Greek writer, satirist, and rhetorician; Lucian of Samosata.

Esotericism

The probable first appearance of the Greek adjective esôterikos is in Lucian of Samosata's "The Auction of Lives", § 26 (also called "The Auction of the Philosophical Schools"), written around AD 166.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Yes. Thoth, Hermes, Hermes Trismegistus.

"Hermes on the Back of Typhon" by J. Augustus Knapp.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Great OP Sahabi, as usual.

Jesus said

Cast not pearls at the feet of swine.

Teachers do hide certain things from the masses in allegories mainly because often the ignorant and profane will distort truth for selfish reasons.

The teaching of Jesus is an example of such a massive distortion.

There are deep secrets in the Jesus allegory that the profane will never find out because ultimately

“The secret protects itself”

Esoteric is just the inner truth of something, the opposite of Exoteric or the outer shell

Religion in the world has become decrepit because it has evolved into a too exoteric system.

In order for one to evolve to truth a proper balance of the ESOTERIC (INNER) and the EXOTERIC (outer) must be accomplished.

Buddha called it The Middle Path

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I agree that it's all speculative based upon subjectivity, however, secrecy does not denote ill-intent.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I agree that it's all speculative based upon subjectivity, however, secrecy does not denote ill-intent.

Yes it mostly does. The state of secrets, secret or covert ops, cover up and subversion, criminal activity, all secret.

But tell me some examples of good secrets?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Yes it mostly does. The state of secrets, secret or covert ops, cover up and subversion, criminal activity, all secret.

Off topic but to answer your question to another. Personal vs Public secrets. In this day and age especially, one does not openly share their personal ideas, views or lifestyles openly or publicly in our politically correct society. Not to deceive, but not throw pearls before swine. Many personal secrets cannot be shared openly in society due the swine twisting it into something deceitful and evil!

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

• The intimacy I share with my wife.

• Scheming with co-conspirators to throw a surprise party for a friend.

• My brother's favorite fishing spot.

• The charity I give and my volunteer efforts.

• The GPS tracking information of endangered animals.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Thank you Brother Willtell for the nice reply.

In my opinion, the Gospel narratives detail extraordinarily profound teachings when viewed through the esoteric lens. I agree that certain distortions have taken place, however, many of the pure esoteric lessons remain, and many more can be worked out. With authoritative interpretations dominating Christendom, many people don't even consider esoterism in the Bible to be a possibility, let alone an actuality.

Much, much, much can be gained from a marriage of the esoteric and exoteric! Our very being is betrothed to the Middle Path, for from our point of view, we are at the center of the micro & macro, inner & outer, physical & spiritual/energetic, etc., etc., etc..

May we all walk in Peace.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

A prison sustained by conditioned social-norms

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

In this day and age especially, one does not openly share their personal ideas, views or lifestyles openly or publicly in our politically correct society. Not to deceive, but not throw pearls before swine. Many personal secrets cannot be shared openly in society due the swine twisting it into something deceitful and evil!

I do...

pay the price for it too.

But...

At the end, where do you want to be found. Taking a stand, speaking up, or keeping silent, letting twisted evil rage unopposed?

Rage against the dying of the light, expose the lies and corruption, so others can see, be inspired to do the same.

On the internet this isn't rightly throwing pearls before swine, its countering the dark forces with the light of truth.

As ever, the swine will cover it up, make personal attacks, ridicule and taunt. Okay, so water off a ducks back. Don't respond to the hate, keep your eye on the ball, just address the issues before the boards.

I got wanted by staff about that yesterday.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Big secrets to you, but in the big picture, my point still stands. Most secrets have malicious intent.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

How does not telling everyone on the internet your bank details and personal details, have malicious intent?

How does not telling someone what you did with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend last night, have malicious intent?

How does not telling a known burglar when you're not going to be home, have malicious intent?

How does not telling your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend there's a surprise party for them, have malicious intent?

All of those are secrets without malicious intent.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join