It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Good luck finding that job.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Off topic but education in the UK is a #ing shame if a third class degree and teaching assistant experience is part of the teaching staff as a necessity.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

This article as well as their other used for reference is absolutely misrepresenting both universities.

Neither is seeking to change grammar. They are seeking to detach stigma from written works using urban vernacular... such as slam poetry.

The Daily Cardinal

Tacoma Writing Center response to false reporting

There are several web publications that purposefully distort or outright lie about what is happening in higher learning in America. I'll let you guys figure out why.

Do you actually believe this bs? The articles are filled with social justice warrior buzz words like micro aggression and code switch! One article barely mentions slam poetry as a viable use. however poetry is rarely objected to rules of grammar.

The articles you posted simply try to obscure the realilty of the situation and use a heavy dose of buzzword bull# magic to confuse normal people from diving deeper into the topic. Its pseudo intellectual garbage!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

btw i wanted to add to this comment. you seem to not have a problem with anyone speaking how they naturally do who are not from the UK as long as they are speaking english right.

how many people with accents from those countries you mentioned lose it completely? and start speaking proper in the classroom? thats pretty rare

my mom is german and still after 25+ years has a german accent. why cant she get it together and speak proper american english?

and why does it even matter? lol she is speaking english the way that she does. oh that sounds like people that speak ebonics huh? but why is it a problem for them and not her

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What about pilots?

For example…

ATC: “American 6-1-8 descend to two-niner-zero-zero.”

AA618: “Fo’shizzle mah nizzle, muthaf---ah! Ah got tah get dis hooptie on dah groun’, yo!”

ATC: “American 6-1-8 please say again.”

AA618: “Yo yo yo – lissen up! Weez jus’ tryin’ tah land, dawg!”

ATC: “Oooooookay… Turn left heading one two zero.”

AA618: “C’mon man donchu gimme a bunch ub nummers, dawg! Jus’ hep me plant dis whip, yo!”

ATC: “I quit…”

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamlotus1111

If your mother cannot pronounce her English so people understand her after 25 years then perhaps ask your mother.
This thread is not about accents, more dialect and pseudo languages.

Go back in this thread, I speak Welsh, English, and a bastardised Wenglish depending on my audience.

If an 'ebonics' speaker can understand business English then they are capable of speaking it themselves.
Why refuse to speak the local language?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

because thats how they speak why change it? what is the reason other then someone else not liking it? its seems petty to me. get over it.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

from your link

To avoid any hurt feelings some people may feel by attempting to speak standard, correct English, Gallagher wants to eradicate the stigma associated with Ebonics — or African–American Vernacular English, a nonstandard dialect of English spoken by some black people.

“I want to center the voices of the people who need to be centered,” Gallagher, a participant in the UW-Madison writing fellows program, told The Daily Cardinal. “As a white-passing person,I have a lot of power and privilege that should be shared.

” Ultimately, she explained, she wants to expand her research and eventually create a nonprofit group which urges teachers across the United States “to be more accepting” and to present their classes with disclaimers urging students to speak using the language which makes the students most comfortable.

She doesn't mention how she is going to eradicate stigma - short on details. But she claims its all about white privilege

And she want to create a non-profit! Eating out of the trough whilst dumbing down students and educators alike.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
lets all be the same. lets all be perfect little robots in life. diversity is terrible. waaa waaaaa

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

If they choose to speak in Ebonics, I as an employer can choose not to hire them for the same reason -- Ebonics is a "protest dialect" and not the standard accepted form of communication in the business world.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Already been to the USA west coast and east coast. Infact I am writing this post from south America right this minute. I have no problem with diffrent languages and ascents. Just there is a APPROPRIATE time and place.
I speak some spanish, would I use it in my classroom? No.

You can not write a scientific paper in ebonics nor would the UK examination board even accept test anwsers in any language other than english.

So why would I let my students do there wirk in ebonics if I know that will lead to failure?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Off topic but education in the UK is a #ing shame if a third class degree and teaching assistant experience is part of the teaching staff as a necessity.

You have no idea how desperate it has got.

I was thinking of starting a thread on the horror storys.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111

because thats how they speak why change it? what is the reason other then someone else not liking it? its seems petty to me.

Because that is life.

Some jobs and situations require CLEAR communication.

Its not a case of not liking it, its just a case of job requirements, the same as you cant get jet pilots with parkingson or people with peanut allergy working in peanut butter factory's

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111get over it.

Your the one with the unpopular and unworkable opinion here.
edit on 26-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

It seems petty to me to refuse to speak a language everyone else does that you also understand, unless you are arguing that people who speak 'ebonics' do not understand what the English speaking workers are saying in say a business environment?
I also have nothing to 'get over' I'm not troubled about it, I find amusement same as Scottish people who perfectly understand business English but refuse to speak it in England because they like to appear different.

Lame as #.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Is that how it works with the scots in England? Do they pretend to not understand or something?

In the US the term "ebonics" just dumb. There is absolutely a counter culture. The vernacular used indicates this.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

If what the OP is saying is "true" and that teaching "normal" English in US schools is the right thing to do and turning one's nose up on Ebonics is appropriate, then isn't that thinking myopic and irresponsible, in nature? The OP is basically saying because he/she cannot identify with Ebonics, then no matter the nature or purpose of it, it is inherently offensive and should be kept out of the sacred sanctuary of the US educational system.

There is something ominous and very wrong with that thinking.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111

because thats how they speak why change it? what is the reason other then someone else not liking it? its seems petty to me.

Because that is life.

Some jobs and situations require CLEAR communication.

Its not a case of not liking it, its just a case of job requirements, the same as you cant get jet pilots with parkingson or people with peanut allergy working in peanut butter factory's

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111get over it.

Your the one with the unpopular and unworkable opinion here.

it is a case of you not liking it. you called it lazy and stupid in your very first post did you forget?

why not add in this thread other people that dont speak properly you picking on people that speak ebonics only one type of accent among a sea of endless accents people use in and out of the classroom. you obviously have some personal hatred of people that tend to use that. ist ok though. once you die you wont have to deal with all this diversity anymore. dont you worry

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

ebonics is english how come i can understand it and you cant? that sounds like a personal problem. i have no probelm communicating with people who use all different kinds of accents im actually quite good at it. maybe you can work on that yourself

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

We have Scots who insist on speaking in unintelligible Glasgow dialect when they live in England.
Every one I have had dealings with and asked to repeat because I didn't understand them was able to rephrase it in business/understandable English.
I think the Scots choose it in an attempt to appear different.
I think it is lame as # and I pull everyone from Glasgow up when they try that # here.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
also forgot to mention you talk about some jobs require you to understand and relate to others who come from different places. if you are a teacher working with inner city urban kids are they going to respect and relate to someone who doesnt respect and relate to them? 100% not.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join