It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111
a reply to: crazyewok

you should learn what you like. this is a free country.

however im sure if you were put up against a teacher that actually knew more languages they would be the ideal candidate over you. for sure.

no one is saying everyone needs to now start speaking in ebonics but for those that do its fine.

stop trying to single out and patrol a SINGLE group of individuals because dare i say it you just dont like them. thats tough luck time to get over it.

Why on God's earth would "more languages" make someone more qualified as a chemistry teacher?

"More experience in the role" or "more education in the field" would be a valid reason, but "more languages"?

"Hey, meet Bob, the new science teacher. He knows jack # about chemistry, but he can speak Flemish and Inuktitut!"

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

a reply to: grainofsand

because thats how they speak why change it? what is the reason other then someone else not liking it? its seems petty to me. get over it.

Everyone else is kinda trying to brush around the obvious.

African American culture is toxic and most employers don't want to hire anyone that follows it. 5% of the population commits over 50% of the murders. Chicago's shootings would go down by 96.5% and NYC by 97% if white culture was adopted by African Americans in those cities. You speak ebonics, you're telling an employer that you're likely going to end up being a problem employee.

Was that rap music that you left a while ago to listen to full of murder, prostitution, drug use, etc? Exactly.

Ebonics is a big, flashing neon sign that you associate yourself with African American culture. If African Americans are to move forward on things like education, crime rates, etc. it's imperative that they abandon their culture.
edit on 4/26/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

it depends on where you live in. in some parts of the US speaking spanish aids you because you live in a an area dominated by latin people. other parts of the country there may be more asian people etc.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

so its out of fear?

it will be interesting to see things change in a few decades with more multiethnic people being born into the word and people of single ethnicities turning into minorities i have a feeling a lot of people wont like having the tables turned.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

We have Scots who insist on speaking in unintelligible Glasgow dialect when they live in England.
Every one I have had dealings with and asked to repeat because I didn't understand them was able to rephrase it in business/understandable English.
I think the Scots choose it in an attempt to appear different.
I think it is lame as # and I pull everyone from Glasgow up when they try that # here.

If you feel that way, how would you feel to know native Icelanders speak and are taught the native Icelandic language in schools YET they only use Danish, Norweigan and Swedish as the working languages in Iceland?

If it works there, similar setups should work elsewhere, in theory.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamlotus1111

Why should I?
I'm not English but I live in England.
If you choose to live in England as I do then speak the #ing language properly if you are able to.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Why should I?
I'm not English but I live in England.
If you choose to live in England as I do then speak the #ing language properly if you are able to.

because its not just you living in this world! hahahaha wow. selfish much?
edit on 26-4-2017 by dreamlotus1111 because: had to quote this ridiculousness

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

so its out of fear?

it will be interesting to see things change in a few decades with more multiethnic people being born into the word and people of single ethnicities turning into minorities i have a feeling a lot of people wont like having the tables turned.

It's risk management. There are huge problems in African American culture with crime and if you speak ebonics, you're communicating that you embrace that culture. No one wants to willingly put themselves at an enormously increased risk of being hurt.

It's not the race. It's the culture. No one would hire a white person that speaks ebonics either.

As for multiethnic/multicultural people being born into the world, you can include me there. I am one.

link   
Ebonics is the American end result of language and phonetic adaptations.

Early African slaves imported into this country were forced to adapt their phonetic programming to the English language as best they could. Those early adaptations were passed down through generations to now in many ways.

For example, phonetically in their origins there was no "TH" sound in their spoken language.

An English word that begins with th is often replaced with a d... Dis = this

An English word that ends with th is often replaced with f... wiff = with etc.

They also didn't have an r sound, so words with r often drop the r sound or replace it which is why your is often just you, and "you are" will often be "you be" or "you is" other words with r sounds in them are adapted in other ways.

It's not that blacks in this country can't speak properly, it is simply the way they have learned to speak generation after generation in this country. Like American accents slang etc.

It's wrong to equate the way a language is spoken with a lack of intelligence, and it is even more wrong to mock when you don't understand the reasons they speak the way they do.

There are black people all over the world, many speak languages perfectly including English, but here in America the spirit of those early slaves forced to learn and adapt to the English language lives on through generations. Today's blacks in parts of this country speak the way their early American slave ancestors learned to speak English.

I could go on, but there's a racist vibe here.

imo

link   
This has to be one of the most insanely close-minded OPs I've ever come across on this site. I get more and more disappointed every time I login here.

Well since people who can't speak "proper English" are just stupid and lazy, how about this...

How about I tell you to go work in the sun all day, every day, and cut off your access to sun screen? Oh, you must just be too genetically recessive and lazy to absorb sunlight like all the other dark skinned people of the world!

I thought our motto was to deny ignorance, not bathe in it.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

I could go on, but there's a racist vibe here.

The common vibe on this website is exactly as you mentioned. LOL

In any case, what the educator wanted to do at the US school is not anything new. The Jamaicans proposed a similar strategy years ago to incorporate the Jamaican creole (= ebonics) into their school system to help create a sense of balance for many students. I don't think it was ever implemented but it was seriously considered by many Jamaican educators at one point.
Jamaican creole to be taught in schools

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

managing risk how? by refusing to interact with entire groups of people because you're a scared little ____?

that only makes the problem worse im afraid. learn to live with people different then you. its a big scary world out there i know but in order to make things work you have to put in some effort too and hire those that might sound a little different or have an ethnic sounding name on a job application because they are willing to work for your company and want to do something right.

i promise we are all human.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well the British did allow white Americans to butcher English so I see no problem here.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

managing risk how? by refusing to interact with entire groups of people because you're a scared little ____?

that only makes the problem worse im afraid. learn to live with people different then you. its a big scary world out there i know but in order to make things work you have to put in some effort too and hire those that might sound a little different or have an ethnic sounding name on a job application because they are willing to work for your company and want to do something right.

i promise we are all human.

It's not the race. It's the culture. No one would hire a white person that speaks ebonics either.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Selfish is being able to communicate in the local language but refusing to do so.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: prepared4truth
This has to be one of the most insanely close-minded OPs I've ever come across on this site. I get more and more disappointed every time I login here.

Well since people who can't speak "proper English" are just stupid and lazy, how about this...

How about I tell you to go work in the sun all day, every day, and cut off your access to sun screen? Oh, you must just be too genetically recessive and lazy to absorb sunlight like all the other dark skinned people of the world!

I thought our motto was to deny ignorance, not bathe in it.

No.

The idea is that they be allowed to speak and write it all the time in place of professional English because it would be racist to expect them to do otherwise.

Every other group is expected to learn and use professional English in school. It's not that they're expected to give up their old language or dialect, merely that the school's job is to prepare them for the working/professional world. The reality is that Ebonics are not used in that world, so the student needs to learn to be fluent in professional English alongside Ebonics and how to switch between them as appropriate like every other student with either a dialect or second language is expected to do.

What does that say to you that we want to carve out an exception only for African-American kids? To me, it sort of looks bad like we don't expect them to learn when I know they can.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

so all people that speak ebonics dont have jobs at all? wow crazy. do you travel at all?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The crazy part is most black people don't speak ebonite. Surprise!!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

they are speaking in english. i understand them fine why dont you?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I agree with most of that -- of course, the social ostriches are going to call us "racist" for telling the truth. Again, I think it comes down to something as simple as this: if as an adult you want to jabber away in Ebonics, you are free to do so. But don't expect most employers to hire you.

I certainly wouldn't.

Personally, I think it's far more "racist" to allow school kids to think this bogus dialect is acceptable, and worse -- equivalent to the Queen's English, than it is to equip them to be productive members of society when they're adults.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join