It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111
a reply to: grainofsand

they are speaking in english. i understand them fine why dont you?

Probably the same reason I don't understand Scottish people from Glasgow who refuse to dilute their dialect.
It ain't English.

You can bitch as much as you like but my slant is about refusing to use common language when you can.
Why do you support that?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jaellma
a reply to: SBMcG

If what the OP is saying is "true" and that teaching "normal" English in US schools is the right thing to do and turning one's nose up on Ebonics is appropriate, then isn't that thinking myopic and irresponsible, in nature? The OP is basically saying because he/she cannot identify with Ebonics, then no matter the nature or purpose of it, it is inherently offensive and should be kept out of the sacred sanctuary of the US educational system.

There is something ominous and very wrong with that thinking.

Fine become a science teacher and teach your students to write in ebonics and see how far that gets them not only in tests but in a scientific career. Just dont complain if most your students end up on wellfare or working i McDonalds

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

If what the OP is saying is "true" and that teaching "normal" English in US schools is the right thing to do and turning one's nose up on Ebonics is appropriate, then isn't that thinking myopic and irresponsible, in nature? The OP is basically saying because he/she cannot identify with Ebonics, then no matter the nature or purpose of it, it is inherently offensive and should be kept out of the sacred sanctuary of the US educational system.

Fine become a science teacher and teach your students to write in ebonics and see how far that gets them not only in tests but in a scientific career. Just dont complain if most your students end up on wellfare or working i McDonalds

Im a physics professor and i find your attitude kind of shocking. I will do anything to help teach my students but i guess that's the difference between a good teacher and a mediocre one. Hopefully your students will get a teacher to inspire them one can hope.

link   

because thats how they speak why change it? what is the reason other then someone else not liking it? its seems petty to me.

Because that is life.

Some jobs and situations require CLEAR communication.

Its not a case of not liking it, its just a case of job requirements, the same as you cant get jet pilots with parkingson or people with peanut allergy working in peanut butter factory's

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111get over it.

Your the one with the unpopular and unworkable opinion here.

it is a case of you not liking it. you called it lazy and stupid in your very first post did you forget?

why not add in this thread other people that dont speak properly you picking on people that speak ebonics only one type of accent among a sea of endless accents people use in and out of the classroom. you obviously have some personal hatred of people that tend to use that. ist ok though. once you die you wont have to deal with all this diversity anymore. dont you worry

Yftdrdvydtsred ghfyfyf5f bf5ff6fyfyvy. Gfsfjuyddthh hhfvhfdf jhtsrsese ydrdrxegx tdrsrsrxeze yftdtdtd. Dtdtdtdyjgh hugygyf.

So thats my point above.

Oooooo you cant understand it? Well your ignorant and offensive and rhats your problem!

link   

who is refusing to speak a certain way. they speak the way they speak. no one woke up and said hey let me start speaking like this out of the blue. lol are you serious?

i support people that are different then myself for being who they are and not hurting a single soul in the process

thats what i support.

live and let live.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Dude what the hell is ebonics? Can you please post a video speaking ebonite please.
edit on 26-4-2017 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

you were not raised typing random letters you already demonstrated that in your earlier posts. try harder.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: prepared4truth
This has to be one of the most insanely close-minded OPs I've ever come across on this site. I get more and more disappointed every time I login here.

Well since people who can't speak "proper English" are just stupid and lazy, how about this...

How about I tell you to go work in the sun all day, every day, and cut off your access to sun screen? Oh, you must just be too genetically recessive and lazy to absorb sunlight like all the other dark skinned people of the world!

I thought our motto was to deny ignorance, not bathe in it.

Closed minded ignorant and #ing proud of it! Hell yeah!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Speak for yourself, pal. I am sure you wouldn't sign up to do that but I am sure there are others who would and could do that and may very well be successful at it. Your thinking is bias and nearsighted and marginalizes those who have overcome stigmas placed on them for much of their lives.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

so why not just ban all people that speak ebonics right? is that what you want? you need some better diversity training my friend im sad that you actually are a teacher. i know that if you lived where i was at. and if you were public with your comments that you made in this forum.. you would lose your job and be blasted all over the internet for eternity. i thought you are in the US but you are in the UK. that makes sense then. you probably hate the US because of how diverse we are compared to the UK overall.

well times are changing and you cant stay in that bubble of yours for much longer...

I am impressed by the amount of effort you are putting into completely missing the point.

You may not be aware of this, but plenty of people in Great Britain live in areas that have a different language. Not just "local dialect" or "strange accent" but specific different language. (Northern) Ireland, Scotland, and Wales are the obvious examples. When I was younger we had to learn a language called Kernewek at primary ("elementary") school, because that was the language of the region - yes, I am a proud survivor of the early skirmishes of the great UC/KK wars. I don't actually recall a word of it, other that remembering that there were some interesting correlations with the Greek we were studying at the time.

Despite all of this, guess what? All of our teachers still insisted on "proper" English in the classroom, because that was the standard that we would have to demonstrate to succeed academically and professionally.

It's not about diversity, or snobbery, or anything else. It's about practicality. Speak how you wish outside the classroom. Inside the classroom is a different matter. If that classroom is the only exposure you're going to get to a professionally acceptable level of communication, it becomes even more important. I don't care if it's Ebonics, Cajun, Gaelic, or Kernewek, if it's not acceptable in a professional setting then it should stay out of the classroom.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
learningenglish.voanews.com...

Just a quick Google search for those to read that think a spoken language is static.
edit on 26-4-2017 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

a reply to: RedDragon

learn to live with people different then you.

If diffrent = high crime then no, i expect that community to change and sort there problems out to conform with civilised law abiding society.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

If diffrent = high crime then no, i expect that community to change and sort there problems out to conform with civilised law abiding society.

Well i see your just a bigot. This threat is about language. How you jump to crime? Oh black people=crime I would guess.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Im a physics professor and i find your attitude kind of shocking. I will do anything to help teach my students but i guess that's the difference between a good teacher and a mediocre one. Hopefully your students will get a teacher to inspire them one can hope.

So I am to learn a dozen languages that make up my classes?

I am meant to let them write there essays papers and exam questions in those languages even though the exam board will fail them?

Only a bad teacher would do that.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

so people that speak ebonics automatically commit high rates of crimes?

i think you're done here.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari
learningenglish.voanews.com...

Just a quick Google search for those to read that think a spoken language is static.

Of course, it's not.

Why else do you think a lot of this thread has been about different dialects of different languages? If language was static, we wouldn't have and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

However, just because different dialects of a language exist doesn't mean that everyone who speaks one dialect can understand everyone who speaks another dialect, even of the same language. Ever tried to speak to someone who speaks Cajun? Ever tried it while speaking Ebonics? Good luck with that!

That's why schools used to teach professional English and still should today ... so that everyone knows at least one dialect in common, so that we can all talk to each other and have one language/dialect in common.

And that's why we're having this discussion ... because allowing some children to never attempt to learn and become proficient in that common dialect out of a misplaced sense of compassion would disadvantage them in their future dealings with professional society where the best job opportunities are.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

who is refusing to speak a certain way. they speak the way they speak. no one woke up and said hey let me start speaking like this out of the blue. lol are you serious?

i support people that are different then myself for being who they are and not hurting a single soul in the process

thats what i support.

live and let live.

Fine one is free to speak how they want.

Just dont complain if certain jobs and career avenues end up closed.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamlotus1111

Many Scottish people from Glasgow refuse to speak English (in England) in the way non Scottish people can understand it.
Every single Scottish person doing so who has had dealings with me has been able to pronounce their words in correct English when I've explained that I didn't understand them.
It is a choice to speak in the non business/formal/group dialect.

...I'll live and let live all day but if I can't understand you and I know you are able to express yourself in the language of the country we both choose to live in then I'll call you the # out.

Like your mother who struggles with pronunciation after 25 years as you claim, I'd call her out, laziness is all.

edit on 26.4.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Speak for yourself, pal. I am sure you wouldn't sign up to do that but I am sure there are others who would and could do that and may very well be successful at it. Your thinking is bias and nearsighted and marginalizes those who have overcome stigmas placed on them for much of their lives.

So again I am meant to let my students write in a style and way that will get there test papers marked as a fail?

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join