It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Lets take Obama, love him, hate him or think him the anti christ
, one thing that is undeniable is that his use of the English language was impressive. He was a good public speaker and was a master at communication.

If he only spoke in Ebonics nthen he would NEVER have become president. Hell he would likely be living on welfare in chicargo today.
edit on 26-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
this world is DIVERSE. accept that or dont and struggle making sense of things.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

It is also true that he had that dialect also. We heard him use it where needed. It was undeniable that he knew that dialect ... unlike Hillary who tried and failed.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamlotus1111

I have Chinese in my classes, polish, Nepalese and a romaninan.
Am i expected to learn there languages too?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Ironically, one of the more racist things you can say about an African American is "but he speaks so eloquently".

But yes, Obama did speak very well. So does Morgan Freeman, for whatever that is worth. Its not a skin color deal, its a cultural deal.

Believe it or not, my bilingual, dark skinned wife speaks with no accent besides the twang of Texas. Culture. Its pretty funny to see someone really dark latin break out with the Texas twang and introduce themselves as "Bubba Jimenez". But it happens quite a bit.

Although spanish nick names are much more prevalent. I must know 2 dozen "Chuy's"

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

To be fair my black colleagues have been the same. One was a huge stickler for correct pronunciation.

The fact is they integrated and all ended with very succefull careers and lifes.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist
A language that is not spoken here. How will this help these children become productive members of a community? How will this help any of these children better themselves in life?

Clearly it IS spoken here, or this wouldn't be an issue. And I don't know how it would help or hurt. I don't care too much either way. That's why I never tried to get on the school board.

Although, knowing English in all it's dialects, Spanish, ASL, BEV, and other languages sure wouldn't hurt one's future.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
As a straight White man who pays a lot of taxes, I am already considered “racist”.

One of the benefits of that, is I get to pose hypothetical questions like this:

Of the following three high school-age groups, which do you think would have the highest average IQ test scores? The lowest...?

1) Ebonics speakers.

2) ESL Spanish speakers.

3) English-only speakers.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111
excuse me while i go listen to some "unintelligent sounding" ebonic laden rap music
peace out!

Rap is unintelligent sounding. Its the lowest form of "music" and the gang culture it is attached to represents the lowest and most base forms of humanity.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand hip hop... part of why often times people don't appreciate rap is that they aren't capable of understanding the complex lyrics and rhyme patterns which are often interlaced with strong doses of slang and other dual meanings.

Lyrically, no other music form is even close to talented hip hop artists.

Don't make me break out some MF Doom, Common, or other artists an deconstruct 16 bars of genius.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

you should learn what you like. this is a free country.

however im sure if you were put up against a teacher that actually knew more languages they would be the ideal candidate over you. for sure.

no one is saying everyone needs to now start speaking in ebonics but for those that do its fine.

stop trying to single out and patrol a SINGLE group of individuals because dare i say it you just dont like them. thats tough luck time to get over it.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamlotus1111

Get over what?

Your the one having trouble grasping that Ebonics or any other languages other than English is not appropriate in a science classroom in a English speaking country.

There place in modern language and geography classrooms

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

however im sure if you were put up against a teacher that actually knew more languages they would be the ideal candidate over you. for sure.

O and for the record most countrys have a problem with science teacher recruitment.
The joke is you pretty much have to be a registered pedophile not to get hired so schools dont have the option of being picky

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I wonder if air traffic controllers would be allowed to speak ebonics?

ETA; why is it a "brolly" and not a "brelly"?
edit on 4 26 2017 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

so why not just ban all people that speak ebonics right? is that what you want? you need some better diversity training my friend im sad that you actually are a teacher. i know that if you lived where i was at. and if you were public with your comments that you made in this forum.. you would lose your job and be blasted all over the internet for eternity. i thought you are in the US but you are in the UK. that makes sense then. you probably hate the US because of how diverse we are compared to the UK overall.

well times are changing and you cant stay in that bubble of yours for much longer...

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Exactly.

Pilot: Am i clear to land at runaway 2?

Air traffic controller: da runway iz not clear, brace yo'self foo'!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Mate of mine had a lame 3rd class in chemistry and after his PGCE he was good to teach.
Thank # the government brought in a C grade at GCSE requirement of maths and English for all teachers.
I assume that requirement is still in place?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

so why not just ban all people that speak ebonics right? is that what you want?

No, they are free to talk however they want at home or in the appropriate setting. But that appropriate setting is not my class room.

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111 i know that if you lived where i was at.

And where is that? Be intresting to see its unemployment rate.

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111and if you were public with your comments that you made in this forum.. you would lose your job and be blasted all over the internet for eternity.

Nope wrong again.

I brought this up in the staff room the other day and all ten of us science teachers after laughing and the idea agreed that it is not happening.

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111 i thought you are in the US but you are in the UK. that makes sense then. you probably hate the US because of how diverse we are compared to the UK overall.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok it clear your education is lacking as you cleary no nothing of the UK as we are one on thebmost diverse countrys in the world.

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111well times are changing and you cant stay in that bubble of yours for much longer...

Nope

All my colleges unanimously agreed that Ebonics nis not finding its way in to the science class room any time soon.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Mate of mine had a lame 3rd class in chemistry and after his PGCE he was good to teach.
Thank # the government brought in a C grade at GCSE requirement of maths and English for all teachers.
I assume that requirement is still in place?

Yeah its still in place plus a extra proficiently test in maths and English you have to passs before training.

But yeah they will pretty much take any degree as they are that desperate.

Last school I was at should of had 10 science teachers. Only 3 held proper science degrees, 3 where drafted in TA's and 4 where drafted PE teachers plus me as the PGCE.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

ETA; why is it a "brolly" and not a "brelly"?

Would someone with a thick accent of any kind be allowed to work in air traffic control?

A piece that may help:

www.quora.com...

Something to consider: there is a lexicon of terms. You would never say, "Brace yourself, foo" as suggested above. You would use the appropriate vernacular approved for use in the job, which are you are trained on.

and you would be trained on accents so you could understand people from other nations. Dealing with NYC residents, understanding accents was one of the more challenging aspects. I was always amazed that people in West Texas were taught the same English as a Jamaican, but we could never seem to understand each other regardless.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

ive been to the UK before was born in germany and a dual citizen of german and the US. im also multiethnic... and you lack reading comprehension skills. the US is more diverse overall then the UK that is a fact.

I live on the west coast of america. its awesome because its diverse and we lead the country when it comes to tech jobs. and the tech industry is booming currently so that is a plus.

you should come visit but you might be so confused by all the varying accents that you have a hard time coping so maybe just stay across the pond where you feel less offended by someone speaking differently then you.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join