It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rahm Emanuel: No H.S. Diploma unless you go to college or enlist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
WaPo link

The controversial Chicago mayor has advanced a new proposal requiring all high school seniors who want to get a diploma to show that they have post-graduation plans by providing written proof that they have been accepted — not merely applied to — by a college, a gap-year program or the military. Proof of a job works too

Students could apply to community college, get accepted, show the proof, get the diploma and not attend if they didn’t want. That makes one wonder why Emanuel raised the issue in the first place, opening himself up to enormous criticism from people saying he is out of touch with how many of the residents in the city he leads live.

What's everyone's take on this?
Personally I think it's ridiculous. Yeah some kids could use motivation, but then again college isn't for everyone. Some jobs/careers require other avenues of study.

Thoughts?

edit on 12-4-2017 by casijones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: casijones

Well all men above 18 have to register for the "draft" just to vote in this country. So if we are forced to do that just to vote...

I suppose more forced conscription is better in this egomaniacs eyes.

Someone has to keep the education bubble afloat.
Right guys?
Guys?

Pathetic.
Out of touch elitest "Progressive" Democrat that think he knows whats best for the people in Chicago.

How about the right to bear arms?

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I read the article, and wow, just wow.

Talk about damning kids who are already struggling.

I don't see any benefit to this idea other than having more people rely on the government, or more prison inmates.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
How about he just starts with having them prove they are legal American citizens and go from there.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
A high school diploma, by definition, should be about what they have done at high school.
If he wants it to serve any other purpose, he should call it something else.

edit on 12-4-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I think this is fantastic. The more the left does and says stupid things, the less I have to worry about ragging on them. They provide their own fodder for abuse. All you need to do is sit back and point. Though at some point, it will just become sad and you will feel sorry for them. Bless their hearts.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It's difficult enough for some kids to get that HS diploma. It shouldn't be given as a condition on a post graduation plan. Especially since even any employment should be qualifying besides college, tech school, enlisting, etc.

Dog walkers and babysitters unite.

A diploma is earned for what the student has completed, not how they will further educate themselves. Based on the comments of the link, this is not a favorable idea at all.

This is pretty coercive over all.

edit on 12-4-2017 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I think this guy is gonna have a huge lawsuit on his hands.

You can't force someone have plans.

sheesh

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
He doesn't want the uninitiated to succeed.

You have to be fully indoctrinated to even be considered for gainful employment in the CTRL-Left dystopia.

You can wash windows and shovel s# if you dare think for yourself.

Evil twat.
edit on 4/12/17 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Children will come to realize this is why they cant have nice
things, and they will rightly blame it on the out of touch Dems.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
He is trying to fix something that is not broken.

It's hard enough to find a job in Chicago as it is now. He needs to focus on the high unemployment in town and better funding for the schools that are slowly rotting away.

The only way his plan would work is to not allow the students to receive their diplomas until they complete college or military service.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Sounds like a great way of keeping 18+ year olds in HS so the illegals claiming to be 14 can blend in better.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I've lived in Chicago for almost 6 years now. Before I knew the politics and what not of the state, I thought it was a great place. 6 years later now, I realize how much of a sh*t hole Chicago CAN be. I grew up in the South, and now i'm here, unfortunately.

With that said I think the mayor is fool and Chicago needs to be revamped of its' political spectrum.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well, on the bright side, the military won't have to waste any time training them to shoot. We would just have to paint bomb ISIS in rival gang colors.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
For me, I'm a holistic health practitioner. I do reiki, guided meditations, etc etc. I didn't go to college for that. I make about as much as someone with a college degree. I help people feel better, but here's the kicker, with no medications or any other type of "western" type medical intervention. I never dissuade a person from getting regular medical care.. But the point being, I don't personally contribute to big pharma and the like. Which adds a point to their score with this whole deal.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
LOL

Micromanaging failure won't work.

Chicago public schools are too deep in over spending and theft.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Rahm Emanuel is an idiot.

What's the current graduation rate in Chicago?
What's the current death toll of gun crime in Chicago?
Isn't Chicago another sanctuary city?
Isn't Illinois bankrupt?

Rahm Emanuel isn't an idiot. I apologize.

He is a ####tard.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Maybe someone should investigate Rahm, what is he hiding here?
This seems like a distraction from something deep.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I see no good coming from that. Something about the name Rahm makes a person crazy I think. Had a young engineer that was crazy. After on rather interesting meeting my Sr Director said to send him for a random drug and alcohol test IMMEDIATELY. So I did and the guy handled it quite well but never saw him again.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Rahm Emanuel is an idiot.

What's the current graduation rate in Chicago?
What's the current death toll of gun crime in Chicago?
Isn't Chicago another sanctuary city?
Isn't Illinois bankrupt?

Rahm Emanuel isn't an idiot. I apologize.

He is a ####tard.

I live in central IL, and yes to all of that.
It's widely agreed upon "downstate" that Chicago needs to be it's own separate entity.

Although, the school system problem is statewide. Our city ranking second worst after Chicago I believe.
I'm interested in seeing where this goes... Maybe it was just a test to see how far the lines can be blurred.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join