It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have the right to tell you how to treat women?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Women have the right to be treated with respect and not like slaves but as equals. That's where the authority comes from.Yes, this means men might have to change how they act a bit. Yes, a woman has the right to tell a man when he is treating her with disrespect. Our society has been sexist for a long time - women only recently got the right to vote and even more recently got to enter the workforce. The authority comes from the human right to be treated with respect.

Why should we treat our slaves with respect? The O.P. Might ask in the 1800s. Where does that authority come from?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
You made a good point here.

Man: Don't tell me what to do!
Woman: Don't tell ME what to do please
Man: # you I can do what I want.

Believe it or not, even Christians have it engrained in their heads that men have divine authority over women.

And what Islam does to women isn't cool, either.

a reply to: FalseMove

edit on 14pmTue, 14 Mar 2017 23:37:52 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 14pmTue, 14 Mar 2017 23:42:00 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
FWIW, here's the link to the actual test: unconscious bias test.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
Dear Members,

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Are you a secret sexist? The test every father of daughters needs to take

Now, one of the country's leading girls' schools has challenged fathers to take their own unconscious bias test, to prove that it is still a scourge

There is actually a picture of Donald Trump with Ivanka as a picture to this article. I can't read the rest because I do not subscribe to this media. I do ask myself though if the ol' DT is such a monster of sexism and misogyny then why does he have such a beautiful, free and incredibly successful daughter who makes all her own decisions and who has been highly educated, etc?

Do I have the right to tell you how to treat women beyond established law and order in our land?

If I do not have the right to tell you how to treat women then do other people have the right to tell you how to treat women beyond usual law and order?

If they do have the right to tell you how to treat women then why do they have that right? If that is so then WHERE DOES THIS NEW AUTHORITY COME FROM?

Does every woman have the right to tell me how to treat women in my own family? If so then does every man have the right to tell all women how to treat men? If so then should we not just admit that we are COMMUNISTS of the most authoritarian and controlling kind? Is it not total interference in private affairs of individual families?

Who is measuring it, monitoring it, evaluating it and, most importantly, WHERE DOES THIS NEW AUTHORITY COME FROM?

Of ultimate worry and concern for us all WHO IS ENFORCING AND PUNISHING/CORRECTING IT?

Remember, this is about an external authority telling you how to treat your Mum, Sister, Daughter, Girl Friend, Wife, Grand Daughter, Niece, Auntie, Grand Mother.

We are indeed ensnared in a trap of unknown agencies dictating behavior, Mainstream Media and institutions/workplace distributing directives, social networking peer pressure/expectations and the work place enforcing directives, etc.

Lol, excuse me, but what about the JUDGE and the POLICE? I thought they were the LAW?

Do you think I am writing this because I am a misogynist of some kind? It is not so. I am actually a feminist of a kind myself. I worship at the feet of writers like Virginia Woolf, so little desire to control another human being that I don't even have relationships because it does my head in too much on that score. I am Mr Freedom.

My worry is that we are being bamboozled into neo-communist Marxist style authoritarian uniformity. That is why I fight political correctness because it is the biggest threat to freedom since the two world wars.

Even in the right wing establishment press it is creeping in, even when the electorate are clearly stating they are not wanting to walk in this direction, they are led like a dawgy on a lead.

It is not how I want it. I want to decide for me how I treat women and "I do" and "I will" (that is the only time you will ever get me saying a phrase like that, lol). We have democratically accountable basic law and order. Personal privacy, individualism and autonomy of behavior are paramount to a healthy and free democracy.

I have a great big Native American Wolf stamped on my chest over my heart that a biker guy inscribed many years ago so you know which I am.

Sure, they have the right to tell me how to treat women. I have the right to discern for or against their advice and proceed as I see fit.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

This argument will always degenerate into, does anybody have rights? Can anybody tell anybody else what to do? Your argument applies everybody, not just women. If society is trying to truly respect individual rights, then everybody has an obligation/duty to stop anybody when they see a person infringing on another's rights.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: riiver

Thanks a lot for the link to the test. I took it. It is simply seeing if you associate certain jobs or attributes with men or women. It does this by flashing in grey a word like "receptionist" and then in black a word like "male" and you have to match the second word to whether it belongs to a man or woman. The idea is you might get confused by the first word if you have gender bias since it happens so fast.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Yes, we all have the right. Why isn't it communism? Freedom of speech.

It's up to you whether or not you listen or do what is being told to you.

If you don't like it just don't read it. Simple....unless I'm missing something?

No offense my friend, but this seems a bit like searching for something to be upset about.

edit on 15-3-2017 by Argus100 because: The Midwest had an underrated funk scene in the 70's....

edit on 15-3-2017 by Argus100 because: Cheese in a can is blasphemy.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

originally posted by: riiver

Thanks a lot for the link to the test. I took it. It is simply seeing if you associate certain jobs or attributes with men or women. It does this by flashing in grey a word like "receptionist" and then in black a word like "male" and you have to match the second word to whether it belongs to a man or woman. The idea is you might get confused by the first word if you have gender bias since it happens so fast.

It would appear all the years of brainwashing did their work! I was "strongly biased" in favor of men doing traditional men stuff (doctor, surgeon, leader, politician, etc). Gah!!!

Well that sucks. It is really subconsciously ingrained. Boo!

Anyway.

To OP (Sorry Darkbake - I've added this into my response to you, but it isn't really to you)

I find it interesting that one sex talks about how to "treat" the other sex (and both sexes do this) like they are somehow "other"(like another species altogether) and not just fellow humans within a spectrum of what is possible for all of humanity to be and become.

I was taught my whole life, for the most part, that "men are better." I didn't believe it on one level, but the programming was everywhere and it got to me, apparently, so that part of me subconsciously thinks that. I think this "training" women have received has a lot to do with why there are more men in certain positions, like say government, than there are women. It's not that they are better, just that both men and woman have been trained to believe that for generations. It's crazy once I start to realize it, and very very sad.

So, how about "treating" me as if men aren't better or worse than I am? How about treating me as a unique individual with talents and capabilities and intelligence? Is that too much to ask?
edit on 15-3-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Not if the woman is being traeated in accordance with UN Convention on Human Rights and the woman is being 'treated' is shown all the respect that everyone on this forum would like and expect to be shown towards themselves.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry
Any man who treats a woman he is with any less than he would treat his brother, is not a man.

It's that simple.

We are not in a competition with each other, we are inclusive to achieve ambition in life. I'm very protective. I will still stand by a strong or timid woman and be next to her, not in front of, or behind. Equals.

I would hold the umbrella, as we stood in the rain together, or let her hold it. As long as we were kept safe, dry, warm and in comfort.

Big manly men who shun the little lady into the kitchen are bygone days. And chair jumping women who squeal at a mouse, are bygone days.

I'll jump on the chair, you get the hammer...
it's stupid stuff...

having said that, anyone who hurts anyone I care for, will get a king hit and knocked out.

I love your response!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Wow -

So then there's the part that when women turn from being ladies and into brutish bullies, well what then, say you ATS?

Is ignorance that blissful for you?
edit on 13CDT07America/Chicago00870731 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I agree. I missed that one. That is rather harsh isn't it.

Shame on you Bliss. tsk tsk.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Neith

I agree. I missed that one. That is rather harsh isn't it.

Shame on you Bliss. tsk tsk.

Rather harsh? Rather a gender boxing-in unconscious bias would you say? What say you ATS?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

ah i try not to take it too seriously, im old school not the gestapo...

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

ah i try not to take it too seriously, im old school not the gestapo...

I am not the gestapo either, I just want to know if that was an example of the OPs subject, that being, unconscious bias.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Ok. Well...I wasn't calling You one, but thank you, it's fascinating to say the least. So tell me what bothers you about it, i mean, look... Im a Woman and I'm pretty sure you are too. So why don't i get bothered about the same issue that you do?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Honestly, i dont give a flying monkey what anyone thinks, i just like the information so i can assimilate it.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Ok. Well...I wasn't calling You one, but thank you, it's fascinating to say the least. So tell me what bothers you about it, i mean, look... Im a Woman and I'm pretty sure you are too. So why don't i get bothered about the same issue that you do?

I am not bothered, I am curious what people think of responses such as that one - Is that an example of unconscious bias - unchecked, or conscious bias - checked? What do you make of it (intellectually speaking, of course)?
edit on 13CDT09America/Chicago04090931 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I am not bothered, I am curious what people think of responses such as that one - Is that an example of unconscious bias - unchecked, or conscious bias - checked? What do you make of it (intellectually speaking, of course)?

hmm I know you weren't. No worries there. Are you referring to my response and what others may think of it? Just attempting to clarify that's what you're referring to.

I think a lot of us were brought up in a much different world and can see that which this generation has been deprived of. That is what I think. I believe if we all work together and share what knowledge we do have, we can create a much more positive reality. We are the products of people who have shaped our world and our society. It's all by design. To what ends I don't know but I am fully aware that it's happening.

Kind Regards

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

hmm I know you weren't. No worries there. Are you referring to my response and what others may think of it? Just attempting to clarify that's what you're referring to.

I think a lot of us were brought up in a much different world and can see that which this generation has been deprived of. That is what I think. I believe if we all work together and share what knowledge we do have, we can create a much more positive reality. We are the products of people who have shaped our world and our society. It's all by design. To what ends I don't know but I am fully aware that it's happening.

Kind Regards

I was not referring to your response, but to the previous response of another poster, which was very much not positive in nature, and may be a prime example of unconscious bias, perhaps due to generational deprivation and being a product thereof.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join