It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry Ben Carson Critics: Obama Also Referred to Slaves as Immigrants

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

I made a thread about it.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
I made a thread about it.

I meant what can you do to change that?

Obviously, this thread changes nothing.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Like everything in life, if given a chance tell them they are being overly sensitive and they need to grow up.

I'm a hit a cocktail parties.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

By overly sensitive you mean a handful of people gave their opinion on twitter and other people wrote something about it?

I'd say that is at about the same level of upset that would drive someone to make a thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

You're still doing. So I feel justified in retracting my apology from before.

So everyone on the left can only see one side now huh???

That's ironic for the fact that you're dividing people into Right and Left including yourself and then become a die hard loyalist to one of those sides.

Putting people in some binary groups is far from being accurate, logical or meaningful, you do know that, right??? It is far too simplistic and you do it out of laziness and convenience rather than actually put forth the effort to learn about what it is your talking about in a correct way.

If you truly cared about what truth and honestly and even just plain intelligence you would willfully try and avoid doing that and learn the more complex nature of people and politics and ways of discussion those topics. But you aren't making that choice. Why is that???

I also don't care if you're offended or not as I mentioned earlier. We've passed that point already.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The fact that Obama and Carson made a very similar speech is telling. Almost like Carson's speech writer read this speech and based Carson's speech off it.

Now the fact that a liberal is triggered about Carson and not O is just plain and simply silly.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Some people are triggered by anything their perceived enemy does. To imply it's only those on the left who react that way is dishonest.

However, does it make it any better to be triggered by others being triggered??? Because that seems to be your issue here. You're triggered because your perceived enemies where triggered.

I don't see how that puts you in a less silly position then them.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

The fact of the matter is the hypocrisy. That is what started this thread.

Of course the right and the left are triggered by what their "leaders" say they should be.

Is the right hypocritical, yep.

But this story isn't about the right, so your "see they do it too" argument doesn't apply.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

The fact that Obama and Carson made a very similar speech is telling. Almost like Carson's speech writer read this speech and based Carson's speech off it.

Actually, that is irrelevant.

Now the fact that a liberal is triggered about Carson and not O is just plain and simply silly.

That, again, is your opinion.

I think there is enough difference for someone to claim that they have a valid reason even if other factors are also playing a part.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Very relevant, the similarities is the key here. The triggered liberals are crying about nothing. The statements arevery similar.

Actually, that is irrelevant

You don't see the statements are being very similar. That's OK. We will have to agree to dis.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Very relevant, the similarities is the key here. The triggered liberals are crying about nothing. The statements arevery similar.

Only to you, because it is your argument.

You don't see the statements are being very similar. That's OK. We will have to agree to dis.

No, they are very similar. They are almost the same but the difference that exists is a valid difference.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I'm not the only objective person to see they are virtually the same. If you can't see it that is fine.

The main argument of the thread was that Obama also called slaves immigrants and that the liberal left is full of hypocrisy on this one.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I see. So your point here is to highlight that some people on the left, especially those who support Obama are being hypocritical. But you also admit the Right, or some people on the Right are also hypocrites too. But you're choosing to focus on those on the left in this case I'm assuming to make a clear case about some lefties being hypocritical.

So what about those who are on the left that aren't being hypocritical and think both statements, although a little different, are both stupid statements??? Do you just not consider them to be on the left or are you just ok with including them with the rest in calling them hypocrites??

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I'm not the only objective person to see they are virtually the same. If you can't see it that is fine.

I've said, more than a few times, that they are similar. The thing that keeps them from being the same is still there. It keeps you from being able to say that they are in fact the same.

The main argument of the thread was that Obama also called slaves immigrants and that the liberal left is full of hypocrisy on this one.

Of course, but you have not made a compelling argument because there is that ever so small difference.

And that is not even getting into whether anyone commenting on this finds Obama's statement wrong as well.

You just ran with it.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Never ceases to amaze me just how many people on these boards excuse things by using tit for tat 'person X did something similar once so it's fine' logic. The age of deflection.

The issue is with what Carson said, not Obama or anyone else,unless they're commenting on carsons comments.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Not the same thing, false equivalency.

Totally different context. Nice try though.

Fake news.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: fencesitter85
Never ceases to amaze me just how many people on these boards excuse things by using tit for tat 'person X did something similar once so it's fine' logic. The age of deflection.

The issue is with what Carson said, not Obama or anyone else,unless they're commenting on carsons comments.

The appropriate term is "whataboutism" as in, "Well what about..."

It's actually a documented Russian propaganda technique, put into their textbooks during the Cold War.

Sure, its a natural thing -- but the Russians codified it and made it part of a actual procedure of propaganda dissemination.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Crickets from Obama

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   
It's about the CONTEXT (the words before/after and the meaning) that matters.

Yes, the specific word "immigrant" was used by both men.

The CONTEXT and INTENT are totally different between both men.

Obama never made claims that African slaves came to America seeking a better life. Carson did.

I'm not sure if Carson was homeschooled or what, because the history he's talking about certainly wasn't what I was taught. Africans didn't willingly board white-owned slave ships, and choose to be sold as property for a "better life".

Obama never made any kind of statements or claims even close to what Mr. Carson actually said.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Obama "and those of African American heritage had not come here voluntarily, and yet, in their own way were immigrants themselves".

The African slaves were owned slaves, sold by the followers of Mohammad. It wouldn`t surprise me in the least that many of the slaves hoped for a better life in America than what they had been through with Islam.

Its a great thing slavery ended in 1865 in the USA and even the nowadays descendants of the original Africans would be somewhat grateful their ancestors went through hell that lead them to a life in America imo.

Saudi Arabia and Yemen only abolished slavery in 1962 under pressure from Britain; Oman followed suit in 1970
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 8-3-2017 by gps777 because: emphasis

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join