It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry Ben Carson Critics: Obama Also Referred to Slaves as Immigrants

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
Actually the wording of Carson's statement does make knowing or not knowing about the opportunities in the US pertinent. You are stripping it of its context to make it fit your argument.

The point is that a person can be outraged by Carson's statement and not Obama's and not be a hypocrite.
ETA: Of course, it doesn't mean that they aren't.

edit on 7-3-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
so will future history books refer to slaves as immigrants? is that what kids are calling it these days? i am appalled that ANYONE would speak that way about slaves. please explain to me what kind of hope a slave would have in this country except maybe a change in the law or escaping captivity? poverty, discrimination and hardship are putting it extremely lightly next thing you know we will be calling the slaves "guest workers" smh this whole revisionist conversation is enough to make me puke!!

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

The first sentence is not referring to the slaves. In fact the statement never said slaves, it was assumed.

That’s what America is about, a land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less. But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great-grandsons, great-granddaughters, might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

It is part of the same paragraph. I'm sure you know how that works.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Your point is what then?

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I already told you what it was.

The wording is different in both statements and that difference might make someone upset about one statement and not about the other and they would have a valid reason.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

If they can read and understand both statements, then they have no reason to get "upset".

Both statements talks about slaves and wanting a better life for their kids.

Your claim is that liberals are upset because Carson somehow thought the slaves knew this was a country full of opportunities? Re read the statement it never said that, you keep inserting that. It says America is a land of dreams and opportunity. It never said that is what a slave thought.
It does say the slaves wanted better for their family, of course they did.

You are looking to be offended.

That’s what America is about, a land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less. But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great-grandsons, great-granddaughters, might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.

edit on 7-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
If they can read and understand both statements, then they have no reason to get "upset".

By understand you mean the way you understand it.

I see how someone else can see a difference.

You are looking to be offended.

I must not be looking too hard because I'm not offended in the least.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

If you think someone can be offended by this statement, then someone has too much time on their hands.

The statement is very similar to Obama's but no libs were hurt then, I guess liberals will fight to the last to prop up a situation fake outrage.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Well, despite of the meme of the moment over Carson's incredibly, undeniably inane narrative , delivered in a spooky, unbelievably stilted manner, I ... er ... totally lost my train of thought... sorry... oh, yeah, Carson is incredibly stupid sounding for a neurosurgeon...

Or I think so, anyway. I realize my pool of neurosurgeons to use for my worldview is fairly small, but extrapolating on a trope profession frequently used as an example of professions for the intelligent, like "rocket scientist," I gotta surmise most other neurosurgeons actually say smart things. Unlike Carson... who doesn't ... usually say smart things, that is.

Man, he's an idiot.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

If you think someone can be offended by this statement, then someone has too much time on their hands.

That may very well be but then what was the point of your thread?

You say they are similar and that anyone offended by one must also be offended by the other unless they are a hypocrite.

We have spent hours discussing it. Seems we have too much time on our hands as well.

The statement is very similar to Obama's but no libs were hurt then, I guess liberals will fight to the last to prop up a situation fake outrage.

That is because the saw a difference due to one actually being there or because they did not view the statement in the same light because of the source.

That still doesn't change what the group of words are actually saying.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

That isn't what the thread was really about.

Do you see a similarity between Obama and Carson's statement?

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Your reasoning sounds like they were offended because they say they were.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

That isn't what the thread was really about.

It is the general idea of the article posted in the OP.

Do you see a similarity between Obama and Carson's statement?
Yes, but do you see the difference?

A cat and a dog also have a few similarities but they are different enough so that you won't make a thread saying "Sorry Cat haters: Dogs are also four legged, furry...."

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Still your logic is still sounds like they were offended because they say they were.

As adults we need to say there is no reason to be offended and move on.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Sorry... see a similarity? Sure, some words match... but Obama at least comes across as a nerdy, political wonk with minister aspirations and diplomat delivery...

but jeepers, Carson sure sounds like a big dummy... I guess he couldn't BE as dumb as he sounds and still learn, and successfully practice, neurosurgery, but at least he says words out of his mouth that remind one of a stupid person.

He could be thinking great thoughts, though... I guess... but we only have to go on words... well maybe some body language subtext, too, I guess ... but holy sheep dip that man seems thick!

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Obama is a politician, Carson a med professional.

One made his living talking (lying) and one made his living cracking peoples heads open and cutting on their brain.

With this info who do you think should be a better speaker?

Again Carson sounds mellow and like he may be pro MJ, but not really what this thread is about.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Still your logic is still sounds like they were offended because they say they were.

That doesn't even make sense. If someone says they are offended it usually means that they were.

As adults we need to say there is no reason to be offended and move on.

Unless there is a reason to be offended and then they do what most people do and say they were offended and not move on.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

People can be offended by anything, literally. Doesn't mean we should make a big deal out of it. This is one of those cases.

Liberals being overly sensitive now but ignoring Obama when he made a very similar speech.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

People can be offended by anything, literally.

Yes then can.

Doesn't mean we should make a big deal out of it.

They are free to do so.

This is one of those cases.

That is your opinion.

Liberals being overly sensitive now but ignoring Obama when he made a very similar speech.

What are you going to do?
edit on 7-3-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join