It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney's first 'exclusively gay moment' hits screens in Beauty and the Beast

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Funny how every time you catch one of you guys out...nothin' but tumbleweed!

You didn't think the Jesus angle through all that well, don't worry about it. You're flawed, like all humans. Maybe it's you that should accept and understand that.

It takes a special kind of person, one who has already identified their flaws to spot that. The flawed people who have not yet realised they're flawed like the rest of us don't get it but people like me who've been through it can spot it in them.

Yo know what I mean, right?

You failed with the Jesus angle but don't beat yourself up over it, it was a stupid point, anyway.

One of my favourite bible sayings is judge not lest ye be judged.

We all judge others...every day, even if you're passing someone in a dark alley and they're completely benign, you're thinking - this person might be a MURDERER!

If we lived by the bible we'd be beyond stupid so it's no big deal...you should drop that act though, that's honest, friendly advice.

I'm out.

Thread's dead.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: HeathenJessie

I study Buddhism and just as Jesus...it does teach to forgive and wish well even for your enemies...as hard as it is (and I'm still learning) I have learned to forgive my biggest enemies.

You as well as others on this anonymous message board are not my enemies, I don't even know you guys.

I fight bigotry and fight for equal rights.

That is far from actually being a bigot.

Sorry if you do not understand.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: veracity

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

What does a Movie rating have to do with the Sexual Orientation of characters? if they are doing the same exact thing as a Cishet couple why would it needed to be rated different?

Because many people believe it to be immoral to be gay. So there is a question of morality.

the "many" people who think it is immoral to be gay are just a bunch of bigots

It used to be acceptable for a girl at age 12-13 to get married and in fact it is still legal in Virginia, but now it is considered immoral. However it used to be considered unequivocally immoral to be gay. Go figure.

Some cultures believe it to be okay to mass murder those that don't follow their ways and would consider those people bigots. Others would consider the mass murderers the bigots for not having enough morals to not mass murder people. A "bigot" could be looked at as a matter of one's perspective.

pretty much, its not perspective. A bigot is someone who thinks they are better than others based on religion, race, etc. There is more that goes into defining a bigot...such as no tolerance of minorites, infringing and stomping on the rights of others, etc.

someone who murders alot of people is a murderer...not a bigot.

they may have at one time been a bigot...then became extreme and started murdering people...at that time your negative status goes down from bigot to murderer.

another example: a person who is intolerant of bigotry...is not a bigot (funny how many people argue this though) intolerance of bigotry is not bigotry.

Its not a perspective, its basically what it is...not debatable.

There may be a little bigotry in many people, i am not perfect...I can see a little in myself...especially in the past. However, i took the initiative to change for the better...not saying I am perfect, still got a long way to go, but have made alot of progress.

BC of my bigoted ways in my past...it is very easy for me to spot it in others.

I can see how many people cannot understand what it is and keep on their merry blind way jumping on peoples rights and being a bigot.

I wish people cared more about morals and would act more like Jesus.

with this said...I am not a christian, but Jesus was very good.

"A bigot is someone who thinks they are better than others based on religion, race, etc."

So based on your explanation for example the people in Iran or Saudi Arabia are bigots because they think they are better than and are intolerant of western culture and western religion. Is that right?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

i am not aware that they are intolerant of western culture. Are you talking about the terrorist? They are terrorist. I wouldnt call a terrorist a bigot.

A bigot is a small minded individual, for example...a cake baker who refuses to bake a cake for a gay couple bc...religion.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable calling a whole group of people bigots...hope that helps.

edit on 8-3-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Nope, I suggested you go whine to a mod in response to you being unhappy with my contributions to this thread.
And yes, I think ideas that kids will turn gay after being exposed to a 'gay moment' in a Disney movie is irrelevant so long as parental rights and choices are not infringed.

If you ever have kids just prevent them from viewing the movie as is your right, you can be sure they won't catch the gay then. Simple.
edit on 8.3.2017 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I won't nor would I want to complain to a mod about you or anyone...and even if I did want to - you haven't contributed one whit to this discussion.

You seem to think I don't have a right to care about issues like this because I don't have kids...that'll be more bigotry.

It's pretty tasty how the people calling everyone else bigots, etc...are extremely bigotted and want to assert control over this discussion.

Why don't you go whine to a mod that I'm looking at the bigger picture, here...like I said, already - I made my feelings about this particular film pretty clear

Had you taken time to read them you'd realise how asinine your last couple of alleged 'contributions' actually were.

This thread's dead.

Now shut up.
edit on 8-3-2017 by HeathenJessie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Lol, no this thread is breathing without assistance so it's all good.

I haven't called anyone a bigot here, I've defended parental rights, and a private company making a movie is not a threat to that.
Most developed countries have some age restricted ratings system so the argument about the movie itself is kinda mute.
If the movie gets a kids rating then you have the opportunity to petition your elected representatives.

None of your rights are infringed so frankly I fail to understand the reason for your complaint.
It also appears you wish to infringe the rights of parents who would have no problem with their kids watching the movie?

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

OMG, heathen, Grain is so nice. You need to chill down a level.

telling someone to "shut up" on an anonymous message board is not nice

Now chill out and apologize for being mean

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

And the Purpose Of a Gay Cartoon Viewed By Children Is....>? ....

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

It also appears you wish to infringe the rights of parents who would have no problem with their kids watching the movie?

How so?

Again...I never said I had an issue with this movie...that's 3 times now I've had to make this point...you should READ what Isaid about this film.

For the last time...I was having a discussion with another member, not you - the conversation developed further, it's a broader issue than just this particular film and it's entirely relevant.

The only person who waded in telling us it's irrelevant...is you.

Do your homework before you run your fingers across your keyboard...because you're talking absolute nonsense.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Oh my, you seem rather excited, perhaps have a cup of tea.
If you have no issue with the movie showing an example of gay love/crush then we are in agreement.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Tell you what, grainofsand, since you're too lazy I'll give you a hand, here's what I posted like 4 or 5 pages ago:

originally posted by: HeathenJessie
a reply to: burgerbuddy

It's funny when you think of how things have changed so drastically.

In the 50's you had some crackpot psychologist claim that comic books were corrupting the young. He said Batman and Robin were gay...he might have had a point - at one point they were seen sharing a bed.

But everyone was up in arms back then and the comics code authority was formed...putting an end to classics such as tales from the crypt.

The comics code put an end to some of the best series in comics, it was all so blown out of proportion. As a fan of the genre I can see how the furore damaged the industry and we ended up with a lot of crap through the late 50's to mid 70's and early 80's.

I suppose that in fairness the same can be applied here to Disney. The main difference is the target audience, though Those comics were never really for kids any more than Sout Park is, but kids still read them and everyone knew it.

There's a fine line between protecting kids from the harshness of reality and complete, blanket censorship. I don't have an issue with Disney having a homosexual character in a film, i don't see him/her being overly camp and sexually promiscuous, it'll be subtle no doubt.

But there has to be a limit...personally I don't think the purpose of Disney is to depict realism, their movies feature singing mice and teapots so the notion that they should depict real-life situations and scenarios is kinda redundant since their historic output has been far from realistic.

I suppose in the end you'll always have your fans and your critics. I'm not particularly enamoured by the idea of them featuring a homosexual character but at the same time I'm not a huge fan of censorship, either.

I suppose if it's done repsectfully and tastefully there's no real problem. Most kids probably won't even pick up on it, there are loads of kids cartoons, movies and tv shows that feature adult jokes and content that mostly go right over their heads, anyway. Look at Rugrats, Rocko's modern life, Daria, etc.

Like I said, the discussion developed - do I think it's relevant to discuss whether or not a film that normalises homosexual lifestyles or attributes can influence a child? In the context of this thread? Definitely.

And it's disingenuous of you to claim potherwise, it's the very crux of this debate.

You tried to assert control over this thread, and dictate what direction it should take.

I wasn't the only one involved in this discussion - it's quite telling how you focused your spite on me and not the person I was debating this issue with...someone who agrees with your views.

Very telling...sorry but you come off looking like a control freak...you should have paid attention before you butted into a discussion you seem to have zero awareness of.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I never disagreed with you, you addressed me.

You should have understood my position before you acted like you were in charge of this thread.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Lol @ control freak claims

...it appears to me from your quoted post that you are not particularly happy that Disney have made this decision though.

Again, the entity which controls advised movie ratings is your only target, the producer is free to produce whatever it chooses so long as it's legal and infringes on nobody's rights.

I'd definitely recommend a cup of tea

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

And the Purpose Of a Gay Cartoon Viewed By Children Is....>? ....

I don't know what the purpose is...I've never made such a cartoon.

I suppose the ultimate answer to that question lies with the creators. Maybe thy simply want to promote tolerance, or maybe they want to promote that particular lifestyle.

You're asking the wrong guy. If I knew the purpose I wouldn't even be having this debate with anyone...I'd know the answers or it'd far easier to come to a reasonable conclusion.

thing is, I never once dealt in absolutes, all I have are opinions and what logic or common sense afforded to me that I can apply.

I don't know the answers, some people talk as if they do, though. They tell you...this is how it is, they know because of their friend or family member. They base their entire opinion on one or two real life examples then talk as if they know it all...all I want is them to admit they don't know.

That they don't have all the facts, they have a limited set of data or evidence to work from like the rest of us.

I don't think all homosexual kids are programmed or made gay by anything...but on the other hand I don't think all homosexuals are born that way. I think it's fair to assume that people change and adaptt to their environment, what they hear, see and are told.

Is that unreasonable?

It's like saying someone born in the african jungle will be born an aspiring astronaut despite not even knowing what a space shuttle is or that such a life is even possible. By the same token I wouldn't expect an american boy to grow up wanting to be the chief of an african tribe.

Kids are totally influenced by their environment, like I said earlier, most westerners wouldn't dream of eating a cat or a dog...but go to east asia and you'll find differently. nobody will address these points...they'll respond with something like...yeah well I grew up with such and such and they told me whatever so I'm 100% sure that...

Yeah, yeah - give me a break.

This is my last post in this thread, it's dead and the argument is circular and pointless...and some of the so-called contributors are deliberately deceptive.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Children are of course influenced by environment, and parents control the environment they mature in.
As long as movie producers are controlled by age rating entities in the respective countries then the only target of complaint is to the elected representatives who control that.

Personally I never have or will devolve parental responsibility to any government.
I support the rights of those who choose to though.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Hey heathen, I understand what you are saying...its impossible to really know the basic truth, no one can say for certain...i agree.

However, I really do think it is absurd to think that a movie with a gay character that has a very small part in the movie will in any way urge a child to be gay...if anything...it will make a gay child feel more comfortable in their own skin.

But, as you say, it IS impossible to know for sure, I just personally think its absurd and know in my deepest of hearts that there is NO WAY a child can learn to be gay from a movie, gay parents, or just plain knowing that boys can love boys and girls can love girls.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Jesus, I just watched the movie and the guy dances with another guy for literally two seconds. That's it. The movie doesn't even explicitly show that he is gay.

What's more, many of you are in denial of reality if you think no man has feelings for other men.

in addition, many of you fear that seeing a gay moment will make your children gay. This fear causes destruction and hatred.

I've (God forbid!) even had a gay roommate, ate at the table with him, made music with him, etc. and I'm still straight. That's because I like women.
edit on 18pmSat, 18 Mar 2017 19:08:40 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Looks like a lot of people either caught a bad case of The Gay or they really didn't care about catching it.

Beauty and the Beast is a big hit at box office

The film took $170m (£137m) at North American box offices alone and broke a load of records in the process. Source-ry

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Looks like a lot of people either caught a bad case of The Gay or they really didn't care about catching it.

Beauty and the Beast is a big hit at box office

The film took $170m (£137m) at North American box offices alone and broke a load of records in the process. Source-ry

Apparently the new power rangers movie has a gay character. The gay is clearly spreading fast.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join