It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney's first 'exclusively gay moment' hits screens in Beauty and the Beast

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
a reply to: veracity
I do not avoid discussion about those types of topics as they age.

oh, i thought you were against having a gay character in Beauty and the Beast...my bad

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
Problem? None? Do I think its wise to expose young developing minds to sexual preferences no. Hence recommendation.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I guess people forgot about Smithers who has been on The Simpsons for decades.

If you watch it too many times you could catch The Gay.

Does Disney make The Simpson's?

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Ah okay, you are free to raise your kids as you like, as other parents are who don't share your opinion.
Non issue then really, it would only be of importance if the movie became mandatory viewing.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

No, The Simpsons are part of GayCorp, erh, I mean NewsCorp.

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I think the gay moment is when they are in the bar, go to sit down, and Lefou asks Gaston if he can push in his stool in. And Lefou says "And I don't mean your chair".

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Thank goodness! At least this movie doesn't have cross-dressing wrabbits!

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Again I say you can ban your kids from watching it if you wish.
That said, any other issue is the responsibility of other parents.
Basically it leaves little to whine about while parental choice and rights are unaffected by this movie.

You are correct...and that is exactly what is going to happen. But the "outrage" is that now, Disney...a previously trusted source of children's movies now must be scrutinized. They had every right to do this...they are a business and can make any decision they wish, but maybe they need a ratings change. 'G' for example is considered "General Audience". A parent used to be able to send their kids into a Disney 'G' movie without care. That has ended for many parents.

Just another safe venue removed. We will all adjust. Disney may suffer but again...that was their choice.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

lil gay le Fou in the new Beauty and the Beast is not having gay sex with Gaston in the movie...you do know this...right?

no gay sex at all...i believe it is just a crush.

If your children ask "what is this?" that is when you say sometimes girls love girls and boys love boys.

I am not saying you are a bigot or on the side of discrimination, but with that attitude you ARE inadvertently promoting discrimination.

You seem to be arguing that it is discrimination to keep or hide adult topics from children? What would you say to a southern character flying a rebel flag? A Pitbull being the breed that attacks a character? A criminal who is black (since blacks commit a higher percentage of crime) or point out that it is a liberal/democrat that walks into an abortion clinic?

I would assume you think these things are wrong for a Disney movie and you may call it discrimination that these events COULD be included in such a cartoon. I could just as well argue that by NOT showing these situations, you are discriminating by hiding adult topics from children...couldn't I?

Would it be OK to show that it was Jewish people who crucified Christ? Would it be OK to show a bomber as an obvious Muslim?

You can't simply pick and chose what SHOULD be shown and what CAN'T be shown simply by your personal opinion. And again...if I were to paint a picture of America and all its good things...I would include images of freedom, prosperity, jobs, towering buildings, the flag, etc. I wouldn't be able to fit in every little thing and therefore, representing gay people would most likely not fit after all the actual important imagery. So again...I don't think it is important enough of a topic that it must be included in a children's film. To give it that level of importance is pushing the topic to a level it isn't, and doesn't deserve.

And if you disagree...and you may...why aren't you demanding Disney show every "gender" equally? Why are gay men represented and not the other 876 different gender identifications?

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Personally I've never devolved responsibility over what my child watched to the government body which decides the rating.
I always made the call myself.
Here in Britain we have U universal, PG parental guidance, 12, 15, and 18 ratings.
I often disagreed with the government and allowed my child to watch what I deemed age appropriate.

I would do the same with this movie and although I have yet to see the gay love scene, I imagine it would trouble me little.
I also imagine the box office takings will not suffer in the UK either, seeing as the only members with issues about the movie seem to be from the US.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

No, The Simpsons are part of GayCorp, erh, I mean NewsCorp.

Okay so what does The Simpson's have to do with the OP?

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

That there have been gay characters in a show that was widely watched by children.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

you are portraying that a crush between a girl and a boy are ok in a disney movie, but a crush between a boy and a boy are not.

You are not directly discriminating...but inadvertently adding to discrimination.

in other words...you are slightly discriminating and you do not realize it.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

That there have been gay characters in a show that was widely watched by children.

The point of the OP was that Disney was having a gay moment, that this is a first for Disney

We can bring up a million examples of gay moments widely watched by children, but the point of the OP was that this is a benchmark for Disney

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

What does a Movie rating have to do with the Sexual Orientation of characters? if they are doing the same exact thing as a Cishet couple why would it needed to be rated different?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

The point of the OP was that Disney was having a gay moment, that this is a first for Disney

We can bring up a million examples of gay moments widely watched by children, but the point of the OP was that this is a benchmark for Disney

And NewsCorp, which is the tip of the boner for conservative rhetoric, had a gay dude on for decades.

That was my point.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX

What does a Movie rating have to do with the Sexual Orientation of characters? if they are doing the same exact thing as a Cishet couple why would it needed to be rated different?

Because many people believe it to be immoral to be gay. So there is a question of morality.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Morality policing?

So what about people who think Cishet is immoral?

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX

Because many people believe it to be immoral to be gay. So there is a question of morality.

the "many" people who think it is immoral to be gay are just a bunch of bigots

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

...and unable to argue moral issues without the silly religious 'absolute morality' bull# as keystone of their logic.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join