It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Dictatorship Makes News Around the World

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
According to news from around the world, Trump is using his Presidency to promote his brand, and build his personal wealth. His sons’ travel alone forces the American people to pay and support Trump business operations. And the profits end up in the US President’s own pockets. Like Stalin, Hitler and other dictators before him, Trump claims his critics -the media- are “Enemies of the People.”

These circumstances are viewed in other countries as not just unethical, but corrupt. Especially important, Trump’s public denigration of journalists and the Free Press, and his calling for an end to the use of anonymous sources, quite literally endangers the lives and limbs of courageous journalists who are fighting for democracy and freedom around the world.

[snipped]

IN PICS: German Carnival floats show Trump no mercy

Eric Trump’s trip to Uruguay cost U.S. taxpayers nearly $100K in hotel bills

[For two nights.]

…The Uruguayan trip shows how the government is unavoidably entangled with the Trump company as a result of the president’s refusal to divest his ownership stake. In this case, government agencies are forced to pay to support business operations that ultimately help to enrich the president himself. Though the Trumps have pledged a division of business and government, they will nevertheless depend on the publicly funded protection granted to the first family as they travel the globe promoting their brand.

Trump brothers’ Vancouver visit will cost you

When Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump arrive Tuesday to open Vancouver’s Trump International Hotel and Tower, their entourage will be bigger than just their assistants and business associates.

As presidential progeny, they travel in a cocoon of protection courtesy of a U.S. Secret Service detail, which will be backed up by a perimeter of security provided by the RCMP and Vancouver police, the cost of which will fall on the public — both American and Canadian.

…when it comes to added costs, such as overtime for the RCMP — which is responsible for the security of so-called internationally protected persons — or Vancouver police, “(Canadians pay)”…

…On the American side, the Trump family has come under criticism over the cost of providing security for their high-profile, jet-setting lifestyle

…There are at least two planned protests for the day of the Trump International Hotel & Tower’s grand opening, one by Occupy Vancouver and a Resist 4 Peace march…

Vancouver up in arms as Trump family launches high-rise tower

JOURNALISTS: “ENEMIES of the PEOPLE”

Trump keeps saying ‘enemy of the people’ — but the phrase has a very ugly history

Over the last two weeks, President Donald Trump has repeatedly referred to media outlets that he dubbed the "fake news media" as "the enemy of the American People."

…The phrase "the enemy of the people" has a long history that Trump may or may not have known about.

Over the couse of the last century, it has been used repeatedly by dictators and autocrats to delegitimize foreign governments, opposition parties, and dissenters.

AFRICA: How Trump is emboldening dictators

Speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference Friday, President Trump took his anti-media rhetoric to a new level, doubling down on his description of journalists as “the enemy of the people” and calling for an end to the use of anonymous sources. …

The unrelenting attacks on the news media damage American democracy. They appear to be part of a deliberate strategy to undermine public confidence and trust by sowing confusion and uncertainty about what is true. But they do even greater damage outside the United States, where America’s standing as a global beacon of press freedom is being drastically eroded.

This is not just a matter of United States prestige. At a time when journalists around the world are being killed and imprisoned in record numbers, Mr. Trump’s relentless tirades against “fake news” are emboldening autocrats and depriving threatened and endangered journalists of one of their strongest supporters — the United States government.

…It is leaders of autocratic countries, not democracies, who make a point of telling journalists how they should do their job. Praising positive coverage while lashing out at reporters who write something critical gives succor to the likes of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, a country where news outlets have been shuttered and a record number of journalists imprisoned. Meanwhile, Mr. Trump’s attacks on the use of anonymous sources undermine the work of journalists reporting sensitive stories in repressive and dangerous environments from Iraq to Mexico, where source protection is a matter of life and death.

…In President Trump’s carpet bombing of the news media, it is not just the United States’ global reputation that is collateral damage. Rather, it is the brave journalists on the front line who risk their lives and liberty to bring the world the news. It is to our great shame that they can no longer count on the support of the United States.

.........cont'd next page........
edit on Thu Mar 2 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: snipped inappropriate material

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Cont’d from above…….

BURUNDI: 'Fake news' fuelled civil war in Burundi.

As a journalist, it is Aline’s job to report on her country and president, but she doesn’t know how to without getting killed.

Pierre Nkurunziza is Burundi’s fearsome, undemocratic president who stands accused of inciting ethnic tensions while dismissing any negative stories on him as lies.

Intimidation of the press is a professional operation…

Since Nkurunziza announced that he would run for a third term in April 2015, Burundi has been plunged into chaos, with many warning of a return to civil war. The president, his party and the police have been accused by orchestrating a campaign of violence and intimidation, where targeted assassinations, torture and sexual violence are daily occurrences.

Underpinning this has been a war on independent media. Following a failed coup attempt in May 2015, Nkurunziza declared journalists were “fighting the government” and marked them as an enemy of the people. Journalists were detained and killed, newspaper offices and radio stations were set on fire and radio signals were cut.

…“They keep lying and saying it’s fake and none of these things are happening,” Aline said from neighbouring Rwanda where she has sought refuge. “This is why I have to keep reporting, to tell the truth.”

…“When you see a soldier or a policeman, your heart beats faster, and you say to yourself, ‘now is when I’m going to die’. If someone finds you and beats you, and you survive the beating, you say thank you,” said Aline, reflecting the reality for journalists in Burundi.

“When they take people, you know you’ll never see them again.”

BRITAIN: What will wannabe dictator Donald Trump do next?

We know, because Theresa May already did it

ASIAN TRIBUNE

…President Trump has surrounded himself with many extremists and bigots, which is not a good sign for a country that for nearly half a century has tried to sell itself as the bastion of tolerance, inclusion and freedom.

In the midst of all the confusions, conflicting signs and chaos in our world, it is difficult to see a ray of hope. But pessimism is not affordable, and cannot be allowed to ruin our future.

This artist's drawing of Trump beheading Lady Liberty sparked controversy worldwide

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I doubt this is true. The president is watched 24 7 365 by the press. One wrong move and he won't make re election. The president is really a figurehead who symbolizes the continuation of the republic. That's why he is the most protected person in the country. Trump is stupid, but he is not that stupid to steal money from federal coffers and put it into the coffers of his own company.

+28 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Lol that float is awesome however i could think of one even better where merkle is handing cash and a knife to muslims as the enter germany to rape kill german citizens.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Why does the government have to supply civil service protection to his grown kids? If they do, what is the difference if it is here in America or on foreign soil? Seems to me you should deduct the normal expense of protecting them from the expense of a foreign trip. If they vacation in California it would cost a lot of money there to protect them too.

They can afford to get their own people to protect them. I understand that this protection is needed so there is less chance of a hostage situation that could cause the president to act in his family's best interest.

I think his kids have more chance of being attacked or harassed here by radical liberals than in a foreign country.

+34 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
What dictatorship?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: UWvesI220

...Trump is stupid, but he is not that stupid to steal money from federal coffers and put it into the coffers of his own company.

International news says he's doing it "legally" (quasi-legally?) - like by using Mar-a-lago as his Winter White House and Camp David-style retreat - and to host foreign dignitaries. Just the cost of putting up the Secret Service at taxpayer expense is a huge chunk. And of course, there's more.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
*shrugs* can you name a president in modern times that did not leave the white house significantly richer than when they arrived?

Why else would anyone want such a sucktastic job.

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Telos
I was wondering the same thing I don't think people know what a dictator is anymore. That doesn't surprise me hell this used to be a great site for conspiracies .. Now it just seems to be a platform for political bashing .

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Yeah Trump is a dictator. I'm sick and tired of people who have no idea what it's like to live in a dictatorship. Pisses me off.

edit on 28-2-2017 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: UWvesI220

...Trump is stupid, but he is not that stupid to steal money from federal coffers and put it into the coffers of his own company.

International news says he's doing it "legally" (quasi-legally?) - like by using Mar-a-lago as his Winter White House and Camp David-style retreat - and to host foreign dignitaries. Just the cost of putting up the Secret Service at taxpayer expense is a huge chunk. And of course, there's more.

I have been trying to find anything on what Mar-a-lago is charging for the secret service staying there. Is the business actually charging what they usually charge? They may not even be charging them. Maybe we should be trying to find out what it really is costing. The negative press on this says "could be costing" They haven't got a clue if the secret service is paying full rate or not. They are assuming it is the same cost, that might not be true.

Before I can make an opinion on this, I need to see facts and figures of actual cost, not someone ranting on the subject. It could be true that they are paying full rate, which would be expensive. But remember, no matter where a president goes it is expensive and the cost of staying at hotels and taking over a whole hotel is very expensive some times.

From what I am seeing, there are still other members there, no renting the whole place just for the president to stay there.

+34 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
What laws has Trump signed that congress has passed that makes him a dictator?

Anyone?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

I doubt he's getting a paycheck from Mar a Lago. If any money to there, it goes to the employees there.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Anyone?

There might not be any.

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
"Racist" "Hitler" "Fascist" "Dictator", what do these words even mean anymore?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Secret Service don't pay when they go to Mar a Lago with the president. The president has a house at Mar a Lago. They sleep in that house for free. Prime Minster Abe slept there for free.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Telos
What dictatorship?

All good things come to he who waits.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Anyone?

None. All he has done so far has bypassed congress.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

How so? The president has the power to sign EO and bills from congress. He has signed both.

+15 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Anyone?

None. All he has done so far has bypassed congress.

Name me one law he has created.

Just one law that he created without the benefit of Congress.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join