It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors are refusing to operate on smokers. Here’s why the trend will grow

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

With high deductible policies now that cash discount is starting to go away, because everyone has a hospital monthly payment (charges from procedures) and a insurance monthly payment.
Something is wrong with a system when an insurance co. is charged one price and a cash customer is charged another.

But I would imagine the paperwork is less with cash. But something sounds almost like insurance fraud with 2 prices.
edit on 24-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Good. Smokers want to die. Let them.

Next?

Do you feel the same way if a drinker has a chunk of ice fall off a building, breaking her collar bone? How about if a McDonald's-eater gets a back injury while playing basketball? Or someone who doesn't get regular aerobic exercise has a benign cyst growing near their spine?

I mean, those people want to die too (obviously, if you drink, don't jog, or eat McD's), so they should be denied treatment for unrelated medical issues too, right?

At least those who live perfect lives won't have to wait for medical treatment anymore, though I doubt the "Other 99.8%" will continue paying into the insurance pool since they'd just be left to suffer and/or die as "undesirables" under your crappy plan.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   
In the US, a stent costs between $1500 and $2800 (that's just the device, not the hospital or doctors cost). Those are the tiny spring-like mechanisms placed within the coronary arteries, to treat arteriosclerosis. They are life saving for some people.
One of the problems is that with time, the stents start to get coated with cholesterol and triglycerides - the artery starts to get blocked again, and you have to go in and do the process again, put in another.

So... maybe soon they will refuse to do this procedure on people who work too much and live with stress, or who eat bad diets?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I wonder what how it plays out....government outlaws use of motorcycles, atvs' and snowmobiles, increased risk of injury is too great a burden on healthcare costs?

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   
This is an amazing thread. Think about it. The discussion is about how physicians are increasingly deciding that some people aren't worth saving. That's directly opposite of the Oath that every new physician swears to.

Hippocratic Oath: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Manitoba's medical system may be worse. Don't think these guys ever got over Eugenics - and still apply the principles.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

£5.40 here in the UK with 75% of that on tax..Yeah, you'll be operating doc, i have more than payed my way.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Its a total rip off.

There's a Polish newsagent in my town that sells the knock off stuff for 11 quid/50g

If the tax rate is going to be so stupid, I aint gonna feel obliged to pay it.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Its a total rip off.

There's a Polish newsagent in my town that sells the knock off stuff for 11 quid/50g

If the tax rate is going to be so stupid, I aint gonna feel obliged to pay it.

I can buy 50g for £7.50 here but it's really bad hence the reason i bought from the local shop. £5.40 for 12.5g..Rip off right enough. I really need to quit anyway.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Yeah. I know what you mean.

Used to be a proper tobacco shop in town that had all these jars of different pipe tobacco.
They sold an extra light shag that folks only ever bought for rollies. Tasted alright too and half the price cos of the tax difference.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Yeah. I know what you mean.

Used to be a proper tobacco shop in town that had all these jars of different pipe tobacco.
They sold an extra light shag that folks only ever bought for rollies. Tasted alright too and half the price cos of the tax difference.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

People who pay cash also pay outrageous costs.

Because, again, of insurance.

The insurance companies want a discount for paying the entire bill in cash in lump sum. So you get a mark up on any non lump sum payment that amounts to, effectively, interest (or a finance fee).

If you pay lump sum cash you can get the same rate as the insurer most of the time. Unless there is a "club pricing" scenario im not aware of (i think that is illegal).

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I am 51 an at 40 every thing went south .
Lost a finger lost a eye had a palap in my colon
4 or 5 times in the OP things was i heal just fine
oo the finger going the eye is going part of my inyurds are going but here it is ten years later and other then complications any one could have i heal just fine
now at 51 my skin is getting thinner as it does in older people and i get bruised or cut on my hands easier
well got a few now and they heal just fine oo take a little longer then when i was a kid but known lots of people my age and cant see any difference .
my grand father lived to 86 smoking 3 packs a day my father still alive and kicking drinks like a fish smokes like a chimney . me 51 and smoke ragge tobacco now wile i am really not expecting t make it to 60d it wont be smoking taht kills me

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I wonder if this applies to pot smokers, too? Similar effects on the lungs, according to doctors, yet, some doctors apparently prescribe it to patients?

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join