It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors are refusing to operate on smokers. Here’s why the trend will grow

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

90% of it is about liability. While it is about money, it is also about surgeons protecting their career and livelihood. I think it is highly unethical, and a lot of "surgery center" type places are definitely about the profit. Unfortunately, the reality of the litigious nature of healthcare means that many providers are stuck between a rock and a hard place. This isn't (for the most part) the fault of the providers or the patients either and the patients pay the biggest price in decreased quality of care. This is a significant and complex problem, with no clear solution.

edit on 23-2-2017 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Actually advances in modern science over the last so many years has made this a problem, but regardless of where the problem's origins truly lie, if you take away Obamacare things won't go back to how they were before. Insurance companies will just refuse to cover you, or you'll pay a rate MUCH MUCH MUCH higher than you are now.

Obamacare is not the ONLY factor, but it's the biggest one right now. Obamacare is unaffordable, so to make it work they simply don't pay for it. We went from ~80% reimbursement to ~20% the year it was made law.

You are right, it can't go back to how it was. It's a pipedream. We need to improve it though.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Smokers should just lie when they file for health insurance. Since they want to charge them more for being a smoker and then not cover them for the same reason. Just another reason ACA should be repealed. The ACA was just Obama's way of paying back his special interests.

I always lied about smoking back when I was a smoker. Now I just lie about having health insurance. I refuse to pay for someone elses insurance when I can't afford my own. I hate to be dishonest, but I've gotta take care of my family and myself before I take care of someone elses family.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You have forgotten that Obamacare REQUIRES you to pay high premiums and prevents people from seeking much much cheaper procedures in foreign countries

You've forgotten that rates were climbing faster than they are before Obamacare came out.
The truth about healthcare premiums: They'd be a lot higher without Obamacare

I don't know about you, but I remember the health care crisis from the 00's rather well.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Yep we are screwed.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
You are right, it can't go back to how it was. It's a pipedream. We need to improve it though.

Yes, we do. If the Republicans in Congress could just come around to that thinking instead of thinking they can revoke and repass something so they get credit for fixing the health industry we could finally move past this whole bruh haha
edit on 23-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I hope you don't need health insurance. Like if you need an expensive surgery or one of your loved ones does.

The lying may work for stitches, but it won't when you need 180,000$ heart valve.
edit on 23-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Then the bastards better stop taxing my cigarettes .

Been decades since been to docs and that was getting patched up after being shot while was in army .

Yeah right... Smokers are the worst of the worst to these people. Two entrances to a building and the ass holes want to use the entry you're smoking near instead of walking 30 more steps to the other one, so rules are made to make YOU move. Couldn't stand that #. I quit smoking a few years ago because my fiance hated the smell but had the respect never to tell me to quit so out of respect for her, I quit on my own. But I still love the smell of cigarettes.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Yep we are screwed.

We could always attempt to fix the law you know? Single payer healthcare is also an option. Saying we are screwed because the two options currently on the table look grim is just a defeatist attitude. There are an infinite possible directions we could go from here, and going by how infinity works, an infinite amount of those solutions would make us better. We just have to come together to work out a solution that benefits us all instead of playing petty, partisan politics. And believe me, "repeal and replace" is petty, partisan politics.

The people in charge just need to stop affixing the idea that anything from the opposite party is a trash idea. Especially considering that Obamacare started out as a Republican idea. The ACA is probably what the Republicans would be currently trying to replace Obamacare with if Obamacare was really single payer healthcare.
edit on 23-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Yes, we do. If the Republicans in Congress could just come around to that thinking instead of thinking they can revoke and repass something so they get credit for fixing the health industry we could finally move past this whole bruh haha

Neither side cares about anything other than scoring political points. Democrats screwed this up to get their name on it and I fully expect Republicans to follow suit.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Cripes! Five cigs a day is heavy smoking to them??? Geez, I smoked half a pack a day and I thought that was light. That's why I was able to quit so easily. I figured a heavy smoker was 2 packs or more per day.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

We are in agreement there. I can wish for these things all day, but reality is going to paint a much different picture.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

I loathe those "TRUTH" commercials. 600,000 people die per day from smoking? Yeah effing right. They make me want to start back.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad
a reply to: seasonal

Well, this was predictable.

When other people start paying for your healthcare, they start deciding what kind of care you will get, because their money is on the line.

The hand that pays is always above the hand that receives in the hierarchy of things, and right now Insurance companies (and at other times government agencies) are the payers.

I would expect less and less freedom of decision for patients over their own care onward from now.

I disagree, but I wish that was the case... Because if that was the case then food stamps and welfare would have limitations on what you can buy. The only limitation on food stamps are no alcohol. Anything else your body can consume is purchasable. Since I have to pay for that, I think the items should be limited like WIC. Betcha I'm not alone either.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I say lets look at what works all over the world and apply to our system.

How do you think the over lobbied Dems who voted for this mess would feel?

How do you think the lobbyist would feel?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I hope you don't need health insurance. Like if you need an expensive surgery or one of your loved ones does.

The lying may work for stitches, but it won't when you need 180,000$ heart valve.

By the time I need that, maybe I'll have insurance. As of now, I haven't had it since 2011. My trip to the doctor costs about $140 altogether. That beats $400 a month all day long. Plus, knock on wood, I haven't had the flu since I was around 11. Hell I haven't had a cold in a decade or more. I've been blessed to say the least, and haven't gone to the doctor for an illness since I was a kid. My entire household has been sick with colds and flus and strep throat and I just don't catch any of it. About a week out of the year I'll have to pop a Zyrtec D for allergies, that's as bad as it gets for me.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Keep those fingers crossed.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

We could always attempt to fix the law you know? Single payer healthcare is also an option.

It's THE option. Although you would disagree with some of the ways I would implement it I am sure.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

It is a shame that in the wealthiest (?) country on earth, we are still having problems with basics like med care.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join