It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churches increasingly feel need to offer sanctuary to undocumented migrants

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
And btw, Jesus has as much validity here as the Easter Bunny, Slenderman, Satan Claws or the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
OMG

The hypocrisy! It HURTS!!

It's only hypocrisy if someone decides to interpret scriptures the way YOU do and then proceeds to act counter to those interpretations.

Of course, I could point out the hypocrisy of someone who constantly rails against the horrors of Christianity bothering to write a thread attempting to make a Christianity-based argument to bolster your own personal political beliefs on a subject.

In other words, this is a classic stab at do as I say, not as I do.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Well this is better understood in lite of church denominations. You know? Lots of folks think "the church" is a mono-block and its really a thing more represented by the multi themed culture we live in.

edit on 22-2-2017 by Logarock because: n

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Psalms 27:4-5
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.

The right of asylum (sometimes called right of political asylum, from the ancient Greek word ἄσυλον[1][2]) is an ancient juridical concept, under which a person persecuted by their own country may be protected by another sovereign authority, such as another country or church official, who in medieval times could offer sanctuary. This right was already recognized by the Egyptians, the Greeks, and the Hebrews, from whom it was adopted into Western tradition. René Descartes fled to the Netherlands, Voltaire to England, and Hobbes to France, because each state offered protection to persecuted foreigners.
en.wikipedia.org...

How can a civilized society have no sanctuary or refuge for its most vulnerable? When there is nowhere else to turn, the church/tabernacle/mosque/etc., steps in to provide shelter.

What would Jesus do?

The ones being sought and deported are the ones that have committed crimes other than illegal entry.

I don't think God would approve of his houses of worship being used to house criminals that have raped, murdered, thieved, and dealt drugs.

Our government is not going after dreamers nor those who have committed no crimes.

The churches are looking for money/donations....I betcha! Half of them are a bunch of thieves imo, anyway.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I understand having compassion for people. Making sure they have food close shelter. But hiding them from the law or trying to make a sanctuary Place is not what's going to help them in the long run. Getting these people back in a position where they can come in legally buy the proper channels would be the best option for them. Not keeping them like pets and throwing a little bit of food to them every now and then. That is not how you lift up people up.. .

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Well this is better understood in lite of church denominations. You know? Lots of folks think "the church" is a mono-block and its really a thing more represented by the multi themed culture we live in.

This is also an excellent point.

Some churches are far more social justice oriented than others and hold the belief that salvation is far more external than internal. Works v. faith is often tied up in these sorts of issues and those doctrines who believe far more in a works oriented doctrine are going to be more likely to think about social justice virtue signalling and the like as part of demonstrating their personal righteousness.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

It buys them time. Time to get a lawyer, time to make arrangements....

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Everybody has their price.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK
And btw, Jesus has as much validity here as the Easter Bunny, Slenderman, Satan Claws or the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Your statement would be better received, and be more "thought provoking" in a different forum.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
What would Jesus do?

Most likely He would tell the Democrats and the Republicans to leave Him the hell out of our political arguments, and yeah, that includes matters involving the left's hopeful new blood of Kept Voters. I'm more than a little tired of the attempts to turn what is little more than gerrymandering with migrants into a false argument about compassion and globalist open-border ridiculousness. We don't live in a world of homogenous values, cultures, and standards and, as such, it is dangerous to ignore the existence of cultural dissonance between the west and the third world. We don't live in the pre-WWI days when much of the nation was still wild and underexplored anymore.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Wait a second, I am a little slow but I get the feeling that the OP wasn't being sarcastic. They really believe this?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Logarock

This is also an excellent point.

Some churches are far more social justice oriented than others and hold the belief that salvation is far more external than internal. Works v. faith is often tied up in these sorts of issues and those doctrines who believe far more in a works oriented doctrine are going to be more likely to think about social justice virtue signalling and the like as part of demonstrating their personal righteousness.

Well I can tell you from personal that some of these works based, more often than not, like say Baptist, that get a bad rap from libs denominations.......why they just dump millions upon millions of $$$ every year into the 3rd world, the inner city ect but are called racist and homophobe and the like while these big liberal churches like say the Episcopalians who have homo ministers and big money cant come close to Baptists.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

The ones being sought and deported are the ones that have committed crimes other than illegal entry.

I don't think God would approve of his houses of worship being used to house criminals that have raped, murdered, thieved, and dealt drugs.

Old Testament law sets up Sanctuary Cities specifically for murderers!

Number 35:6
Six of the towns you give the Levites will be cities of refuge, to which a person who has killed someone may flee.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: FHomerK

Your statement would be better received, and be more "thought provoking" in a different forum.

Huh, you don't say? At the time I'm writing this, the post you quoted has already earned me four stars.

Yours? Zero. Have fun praying to your dirty old man in the clouds. I'm sure he's really and truly listening.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
We don't live in a world of homogenous values, cultures, and standards and, as such, it is dangerous to ignore the existence of cultural dissonance between the west and the third world.

You don't even have that within the US.

Wait, could that be part of the problem?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I'm more than a little tired of the attempts to turn what is little more than gerrymandering with migrants into a false argument about compassion and globalist open-border ridiculousness.

That's sounds exactly like something Jesus would say! LOL

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
Wait a second, I am a little slow but I get the feeling that the OP wasn't being sarcastic. They really believe this?

What, you couldn't hear the thumping from a mile away?

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If you look a little deeper, you will probably find a 501(c)3 hidden among the benevolent holier-than-thou rhetoric and....of course, there will be a Big Donation Button to click.

Meh...hogwash! These kinds of churches that form professional non-profits do this kind of thing for the $$$$, imo. But, they wrap it up in scripture quotes and flowery words of compassion.

If these people took others into their homes and actually provided for them free gratis, I might think differently. I've been around long enough and researched stuff long enough to know there is usually money donations to follow. The "cause" is just the gimmick.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I understand having compassion for people. Making sure they have food close shelter. But hiding them from the law or trying to make a sanctuary Place is not what's going to help them in the long run. Getting these people back in a position where they can come in legally buy the proper channels would be the best option for them. Not keeping them like pets and throwing a little bit of food to them every now and then. That is not how you lift up people up.. .

Amen brother/sister, AMEN!

edit on 22-2-2017 by FHomerK because: The Devil made me do it. And a thousand other fairytales.

posted on Feb, 22 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

Its a sign of desperation. Dragging the church into this. This isnt even a civil rights issue. No its not really.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join