It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students wear white pins to remind them of white privilege

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
a reply to: jkm1864

Yup, and it's sad, because the identity politics are alienating a lot of people, on the left and the right. The Democrats are adopting this, and have been progressively since about 5-10 years ago.

I'm beginning to be convinced that identity politics are being manipulated by the elite to divide the races and genders.

Do these idiots actually think a coal miner wants to hear about how privileged He is especially after He lost his job due to Obama's regulations? The rust belt has always voted Democrat and I can assure You that it went Republican because of all the racist rhetoric from the democratic party over the last 8 years and the lawlessness didn't help either. If the democrats ever want to win again they need to come off the high horse and appeal to the working class which demonizing the rich doesn't count.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: seasonal

Fraternity and Sorority members wear pins, again... who cares? Are you going to continuously be offended by what 'SJW's" do?

In isolation this specific topic is silly, but identity politics generally as a whole is becoming concerning with some of the approaches and ideologies.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Isn't it funny though how it's only white people offended by identity? Indians don't care what white kids are doing, Hispanics don't care what Indians are doing, Blacks don't care what Asians are doing, Asians don't care Arabs are doing...

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: jkm1864

a reply to: jkm1864

Yup, and it's sad, because the identity politics are alienating a lot of people, on the left and the right. The Democrats are adopting this, and have been progressively since about 5-10 years ago.

I'm beginning to be convinced that identity politics are being manipulated by the elite to divide the races and genders.

Do these idiots actually think a coal miner wants to hear about how privileged He is especially after He lost his job due to Obama's regulations? The rust belt has always voted Democrat and I can assure You that it went Republican because of all the racist rhetoric from the democratic party over the last 8 years and the lawlessness didn't help either. If the democrats ever want to win again they need to come off the high horse and appeal to the working class which demonizing the rich doesn't count.

Right, that's one reason among many the Democrats are no longer even left.

Traditional left is ALL about socio economic issues, labor rights, helping the poor and working class, etc.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Isn't it funny though how it's only white people offended by identity? Indians don't care what white kids are doing, Hispanics don't care what Indians are doing, Blacks don't care what Asians are doing, Asians don't care Arabs are doing...

That's a bit of a stereotype and dismissal. Care to show some data on any one of those sentences?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Are you comparing this to have a nice day pins?

And I am not offended.
I find it odd that this is not squashed by the admin at the college. This could lead to trouble in the student populace.

Seems like on one hand the Left wants to erase the past and on the other they want to wear it like a red badge of courage.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

The only thing I see are neo-nazi's stirring up White Nationalism and anti-Liberalism with this constant barrage of what these liberal white kids are doing or what BLM is doing etc...

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The only thing I see are neo-nazi's stirring up White Nationalism and anti-Liberalism with this constant barrage of what these liberal white kids are doing or what BLM is doing etc...

This is indecipherable.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

That's not the only thing I see.

It's simply false that only "neo-nazis" are the ones criticizing identity politics.

One of my critiques of identity politics is exactly what you just did. It's becomes such an ideology that ANY disagreement, however small, is shouted down with "privilege," "racist," "ignorant," or "sexist." As of this election cycle we can add "white supremacist" to that list.

There isn't even real debate anymore, even within liberal circles. Especially us liberals should be able to have calm debate and allow constructive feedback.
edit on 14-2-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Again with the Nazi stuff.

Where is all this neo-Nazi stuff coming from?

Is there a new club on these campuses?

I think I understood your paragraph, the neo Nazi's are whipping all this up? You lost me where the SJW, ( SJW is a silly name) come into all this.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I think I understood your paragraph, the neo Nazi's are whipping all this up? You lost me where the SJW, ( SJW is a silly name) come into all this.

The media is telling everyone that if you disagree you are a white supremacist or nazi.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

These people like to pretend there's a significant neo-nazi movement outside of places like Greece and Ukraine.

The reality is there's hardly any of them, the ones that do exist are those American History X types who spend most of their time selling meth, because that's more profitable than building the 4th Reich.

It's a ridiculous propaganda tactic. Everyone agrees Nazis are bad, and the people they don't like must be Nazis because they said so, so you should hate everyone who disagrees with their agenda.

Foolishness. They wonder why they have almost no popular backing anymore. Have to resort to censorship, violence and terrorism in promotion of their strange ideology.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I actually have some hope. Prior to this election cycle virtually all liberals I knew would never openly critique any identity politics stuff. That changed during this election cycle. Now my roommate and I and some others do talk about it very in depth. Even some so called SJWs I know are beginning to throw around some articles that counter the narrative.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I think they should also wear "I'm With Stupid" T-Shirts too.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
You ever notice the types of people bitching and complaining about the fictional oppression of minorities and women, and some weird "white privilege" racial supremacy in the West never say one word in condemnation of the goings on in Saudi Arabia, Zimbabwe, Azerbaijan, Laos, Myanmar and The Congo?

I find that strange, actual cases of what they complain about.

But I guess these folks abandoned logic years ago.

Well that's not accurate. A lot of my serious, actually dedicated friends in this vein also work on international issues, i.e. international development and human rights abroad.

You're right, some people are at every rally and protest concerning their cause. Fighting for legislation and stuff, it's true that many demonstrations get little if any news coverage.

It can be hard without a viral slogan or something. The people don't really see it and thus don't care.

Loads of people got into the new age stuff, said China is really bad to the Falun Gong, might even have went to a popular rally. Most do it for themselves and very few boycotted Chinese goods and I bet that protests on organ harvesting are at an all time low with not many participants.

It'll be the same faces time and time again.

I know a story of a popular furniture company being robbed of tonnes of wood, nobody was convicted because they claimed seizure of illegally procured goods. It was from South America and by all accounts illegally sourced wood. They changed their sourcing habits.

Point being, some are deadly serious about protesting. Where do we draw the line, the Boston tea party?

I always want to hear about the things I never hear about, hopefully someone else does too. Awareness is a powerful thing, I guess in a way that sometimes a well written post on ATS can be enough to help push the tide against say the corruption leading up to the Iraq war?

That being said it's true that if many of these protestors cared as much for their cause as much as they do for their ego, then the world might change for the better a little faster no?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

KONY2012

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Hmm... where have I seen this before?

edit on 14-2-2017 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Cheers for that

Horrors are still happening all around the world still, I've learned about so many atrocities in recent history, we do ignore too much or is it we don't see it on the news enough?

Myanmar for instance, disgusting stuff has been going on for years now. We do hear about it and the UN talks. But for the majority nothing much gets done.

The governments belonging to the lands such atrocities happen are very much to blame too. You really need to look into why so many rebel groups are evil, because rarely do people wake up and think I'm gonna burn a village down.

The West generally throw a bit support and maybe a token force to hunt some rebels down.

Military intervention is a slippery slope, we should either be a lot more aggressive (us the UN) and intervene in all these screwed up places that human rights is violated and officially force the cooperation of the governments in charge of that land and/or boycott and sanction these nations.

Nearly every evil rebel group has grown within nations that are a sickly beast in their own right. Committing their own atrocities. I mentioned the Falon Gong earlier, we don't boycott and arrest Chinese government officials.

But then again neither do we arrest other governments of serious crimes against humanity.

It's an inspiring video, the revolution won't be televised. It will be on your phones, laptops, eyepads and watches

Everybody can see it and you don't need to tune in to the popular hour TV news. We are still fumbling about with this www malarkey, it still hasn't quite hit us how useful and powerful it is.

I have high hopes for the future, things like government online petitions, they'll learn to hate that one those ptb.

I see a future where we don't invade countries but refuse them any access to the world, the people are free to leave. We enforce the border.

The tough guy stopping the bullies, they know they'll get their arse kicked picking a fight with him kind of mentality. Actually I don't know, sometimes we really do need to intervene physically.

Anyways.

It's true enough our governments will never really tell you about atrocities that doesn't serve their pocket. We still trade with most of East Asia, turn a blind eye to human rights abuses as long as the goods keep coming.

Yesterday people boycotted with word of mouth or the general consensus given by the newspaper. Now we have the power to really demand of our governments.

Good petitions are wrote all the time, I guess sometimes it helps to have a good film maker... But the world is changing, fast.

A good portion of rebellions crushed on the arab peninsula I heard about way before the BBC told me and the last 10 years have had a few. I've knew about Houthi way back due to people raising awareness on sites such as this, the internet is a wonderful thing.

We've got s lot of growing to do with it.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
More idiots who have no clue.

The stupid hurts, mate.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   

The media is telling everyone that if you disagree you are a white supremacist or nazi.

YES. And if they don't stop, we are going to see some really bad things. This has been getting WAY out of hand. Opinions are one thing, but painting people as Nazis and white supremacists over political differences is stepping far over the line.

I don't want to see what will happen if this continues in our institutions of learning, or the MSM and Hollywood. They are playing a very dangerous game.
edit on 15-2-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join