It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bus to the Women's March

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: Byrd

Thank you for all this Byrd

The Exhausting Work of Tallying America's Largest Protest

The Women’s March has some of the hallmarks of the beginning of a successful movement, Chenoweth said. The ability to mobilize large numbers of people is often associated with the creation of an effective campaign. The fact that the march was inclusive and broad rather than tied to a specific policy goal helped draw big numbers, Chenoweth said, and the explicitly non-violent nature of the protests helped attract even more. The level of organization on display at events large to small bodes well for the social movement, as does the proportion of march participants who aren’t usually politically engaged.

I love that poster

Thanks for the link!

I wished I'd had a team there at Washington, because there was a lot you could pick up on simply by signifiers such as who carried what signs and who was leading chants (some came prepared because they had bullhorns - but some were freeform.) It's extremely interesting because it was peaceful - AND - because for such a huge crowd there in DC the grounds were left fairly clean. I've seen a lot more mess from smaller crowds here at the Texas State Fair.

Scientists will be analyzing this for many years and it remains to be seen what the legacy will be.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

. . . for such a huge crowd there in DC the grounds were left fairly clean.

The British seven mile long pink scarf event was similar. Very well run. Almost no conflict of any sort. No mess left behind.

My fears of a mentally destabilising pink overload were unfounded. Your march looks like a field of flowers.

I support pink yarn events as a communication outlet.

edit on 25 1 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 25 1 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Yeah. It seems to have been just a jumble of ideologies. It wasn't about me, at all. Or anyone really.

That's why I didn't understand the 'Women's March' #imarchforyou stuff.

The meaning behind it is ever-evolving depending who needs to be drown out at whatever moment. One thing is for sure, it was above criticism and it wasn't. *snort*

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
I feel happy for you after seeing your pic and I know this experience was meaningful for you.

I just want to say this...not to take away from your experience...I don't want any woman marching for me in much the same way that I don't want anyone praying for me.

I went to Washington, but I wasn't marching for you.

I wasn't marching for me, either.

I can't speak for you, but I am fairly privileged. I've been quite poor (with a disabled son and staggering medical bills) and had a job that paid a man's salary... I was able to pay for every degree I got (sometimes taking a year off until I had enough money to continue)... on one occasion working two jobs while taking care of my newborn and my one year old. At age 68 I'm healthy, I have a decent retirement plan, I have a doctor and dentist that I love and while we're not wealthy we have enough to pay our ongoing medical bills and buy a car or two (we own our own home) and pay property taxes and buy whatever new clothing or gadgets we want to.

I didn't go to Washington to march for me. I didn't go for you.

This wasn't about me.

It wasn't about you.

It's about cuts that the Republicans have been doing to food stamps (I have friends who are a little younger than I and in much worse health and live in a house that should be condemned (holes in the roof that they can't afford to fix and he doesn't have the mobility to climb up and fix.)) Food stamps don't get them much, but without them... imagine being old and not able to afford a box of macaroni (because yes, that's how poor they are.) Or being able to eat, but only if they live in their car (I am old enough to remember the very poorest families living in cars in the 50's and 60's)

It's about the unequal implementation of the Affordable Care Act - because my cousin died of heart failure as a consequence of not being able to afford his medication (the state where he lived did not accept Federal grants that would have made it possible to get health care.)

It's about the cuts to the Republican parties made to Veterans benefits -- I watched my nephew (who retired from the Army) fight for his troops to have access to PTSD programs and health services and benefits for their families... he's battling right now on behalf of someone with PTSD.

It's about cuts to the anti-violence programs (one of the women on the bus is a young female rapper with her own label and Youtube channel... can you imagine how many times she's been threatened with rape and death simply for being a young woman who raps?)

It's about attitudes toward Muslims ... the greatest leverage against ISIL is photos of Muslim women in the free world ... not just women, but women in hijabs, going to school without having acid thrown in their faces, driving cars, going shopping, holding down good jobs -- and their imams aren't screaming for their death and their husbands haven't taken to the fainting couch, wailing about Islam being destroyed. They might not be able to read our words, but a single image of a student in jeans, walking and talking with a group of men and women shows the women that they're trying to control that it IS possible to be Muslim... and free.

It's about the Dakota Pipeline... people in the nearby town could say "no, no pipeline" and everyone said "okay. Moving it to an Indian reservation." The Native Americans said "no" and it moved forward anyway. They have suffered so many broken promises and the reservations are centers of neglect and poverty -- but there's no plan in this administration to fix that and today Trump signed the order for the pipeline to proceed in spite of the opposition of almost everyone on the reservation.

I marched for voter rights... because of Republican voter ID laws -and the Republican party in Alabama that then closed the DMV offices that issued these IDs in predominantly Black counties. That's just wrong.

I marched for a lot of these reasons and more.

But it wasn't about you.

And it wasn't about me.

I love you.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Catching up on some comments...

originally posted by: Nikola014
How does it feel to not have a job?

Me?

I'm an adjunct professor at a local college. Job's still here (it's a part-time job and I'm a retiree.)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Is this the 'womens' march that excludes women if they do not support killing babies?

Some of them were there, so they apparently weren't excluded. Nor was anyone whapping them with signs as far as I could tell. Not even any angry shouting.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Okay. I've got to go shopping for a pink hat.

Have someone knit a pink hat! One of the next rallies is set for April 15th, demanding that Trump release his taxes as part of the standard transparency and accountability. So far we haven't seen his taxes, back taxes, or this purported divestment plan document.

Not sure of the details, but stay tuned!

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Yeah. It seems to have been just a jumble of ideologies. It wasn't about me, at all. Or anyone really.

That's why I didn't understand the 'Women's March' #imarchforyou stuff.

That's okay.

It wasn't about you, anyway and if the issues of these groups aren't anything that you feel is important then it really is inconsequential to you - a "nothing to see here; move along" sort of thing that you don't need to think about any longer.

To those of us who felt strongly enough to march, we'e got things to think about and stuff to do (though just right now at this very second, my "to do" list includes "finish coffee!".

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I am going to think anything I want about the march...with or without your permission. I may even have strong thoughts about it while I finish my coffee.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Let's go women! Soros might have paid for SOME to get there, but there were plenty of us who wanted to be there and sacrificed to be their entirely on our own!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I ran across this last night and thought I'ld share. Did you see any small groups like this at the March?

Tea Leaf Nation When China’s Feminists Came to Washington

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert

I ran across this last night and thought I'ld share. Did you see any small groups like this at the March?

Tea Leaf Nation When China’s Feminists Came to Washington

I did see a few "awareness groups", though I didn't make notes. I didn't see any Chinese, though I'm just one small person and couldn't observe a crowd of that size.

I will go to some of the followup demonstrations. I'm saving some money to go back to Washington again when the scientists march sets a date.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ofleming

Let's go women! Soros might have paid for SOME to get there, but there were plenty of us who wanted to be there and sacrificed to be their entirely on our own!

As far as I can tell, IF he gave money so that some could come, it was probably only for a speaker or two.

Can you imagine trying to contact 5 million people worldwide from thousands of different places (spam email ForTheWin?) and offering each of them money to respond and go to a march? And then confirming they were there to pay them? Absurd logistics. Easier to support by giving money to get some of the main speakers there and letting others come on their own dime.

Man, all these things I've been involved in that Soros supposedly is funding...and I STILL haven't gotten my check! Darnit, George!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc
I don't know where your video is from (I don't watch videos on this machine), but the march didn't take place at night so that's not any footage from the DC march that I attended. You might doublecheck and see which march that's supposed to be from and then go ask someone who was there.

It might be from the night BEFORE inauguration - which is not the same as the 550,000 person march I attended in Washington DC. The march DID make it to the White House and took up chants there (some of the women on the bus were there) but when Secret Service came out and told them to move off, they did.

I believe your source is pranking you with a video of something unrelated. You might want to do some fact-checking on your source.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Watch the video. It doesn't take place at night. The rest of your response is thus irrelevant.

Trust me. I fact check. If you watched you'd understand. But you don't dare see something that disagrees so you won't.
edit on 26-1-2017 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc
Okay, that's one of the speakers at the march. Why in the heck didn't you say so instead of linking that video? You could have saved a lot of time simply by asking about the speaker by name in the firs place. The "OMG! Children are watching!" kind of falls flat since it wasn't live-streamed and I've heard similar language directed AT children by mothers and fathers in public places such as the grocery store and WalMart and fast food places.

I would bet that you've heard parents using that kind of language around kids, too.

But to answer your question, yes, I read about it the day after. No, I didn't hear them. There were too many people and the Public Announcement setup was made for an estimated crowd of 200,000 - not 550,000. I think that only those within the first six blocks or so actually heard everything.

Do I like vulgar speeches? No, not my style. Is it freedom of speech? Yes, it is. Are there vulgar people in America? Yes, there are. Are there men and women who use vulgarity every day in ordinary speech? Yes there are and I imagine you can point to some.

Are there stand-up comics and other comedians who also do ranty-type performances with vulgarities? Yes there are. Have we heard vulgar speeches at other political rallies on all sides? Yes, we have.

Was there some specific point in her speech that you were addressing other than "she shouted out naughty words"?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

This was about Americans and their struggle. It wasn't about other countries.

So you agree with Trump and make America First.

I feel...and we all felt... like health care, voting rights, the environment, education, and equal access here in America are the most important things to focus on.

Agreed, not sure why it had to be a woman march . I bet most trumpster agree too with those concerns.

(btw, you don't seem to be aware how many different Muslim sects there are or the differences in each. You might find reading up on them to be interesting. They're as different from each other as the Roman Catholic Church is from the Voice of Deliverance Church)

I am aware , hence I said those "against women rights" and not all practising Muslims.

However, than why was the Womens March part needed or the timing?

I guess we won't see eye to eye on this, but who am I to stop you from being wrong.

jk

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

lol... it was a major demonic manifestation I tell ya!! as if the little demons had to take over the thoughts and minds of so many women and force them through supernatural powers, to speak out or shout after this past election season. It couldn't have anything to do with that nice video where trump is bragging about his tic tacs and sexual advances (read ASSAULT!) or, having to hear the little talking heads on tv screens, one after the other dismiss it as just "locker room talk", heck, that's nothing compared to what they say in those locker rooms, and hey, don't ya know, we women go around describing, about how we are are assaulting men everyday. what is worse than telling someone how you habitually sexually assault women, if not actually raping them... and, hey we women, we should toughen up!! we should just accept that we should be hearing how the men we work with assault the women around them. by god, it's their constitutional right to do so and if we don't like it, well, we should go back home and bake some cookies!

you think I am making too much of it?? okay, let's just say that he was just joking around with the guys... he's a very rich man, and I kind of think he knew even back then that there's some people out there that would love to get some of that cash through lawsuits! and that was a rather big bus for just two people, and I don't believe either of them were driving that bus, so even if he trusted bush, there were at least one other that was within earshot that could have very easily heard these words.... witnesses in a court of law with damaging testamony that could have been used in future cases claiming sexual assault or abuse. so I guess if you wish, you can believe that you elected someone who doesn't use much wisdom when he speaks..(or twitters).

either way, it should have disqualified him.

then again...well....
clinton is a nasty women!!
single/divorced women getting financial assistance are just nasty, lazy women!!
black women are just nasty animals!!
mexican women are just nasty criminals!!
arab woman are just nasty terrorists...
and any women who might find herself considering abortion are just nasty whores who should have kept their legs crossed!!!
maybe the women got sick of hearing how nasty they are and decided that just one day, they would let loose and let the world know just how nasty they can be!! I mean, what the heck... you're gonna get accused of it anyways...
and, oh ya.... the children are listening why you are telling them just how nasty their mothers are and how it's okay, your can grab the women, they will let you!

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
T he Resistance Movement

We will not be silenced.

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join