It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bus to the Women's March

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
or other nasty comments uttered in an attempt to silence your voices...

My voice?

Did you not just read where I said I am solidly pro-choice?

Geez.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

or other nasty comments uttered in an attempt to silence your voices...

typo on my part should be saying our voices...

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

a reply to: MotherMayEye

I've been watching the thread about the pro-life movement on and off all day.. seems like you all have been pretty much left alone to discuss the event and the insights you had from the different speakers. ain't read any criticism about how all those women were neglecting their wifely, family duties by being there. or other nasty comments uttered in an attempt to silence your voices...

it's gonna take more than just yous telling us to get behind our new president and sit down and shut up....
until we see hints that the right is willing to meet in the middle ground..
we aren't gonna sit down and shut up!

I have not heard anyone tell you to sit down and shut up. Why is it that so many things are being made up to be angry about?
Only those awful cretin celebs who embarrassed themselves need to shut up. For your sake too.
edit on 27/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: UKTruth

This issue is about compromise, not majority rule.

Every woman knows it and if they claim they don't, I suspect they are in the minority.

No side is getting their most extreme way on this issue. We have to compromise.

From the data it looks like there is common ground on abortion up to 12 weeks, which may well fit well with the most recent proposals to limit abortion to the moment a fetus can experience pain.

Maybe Mississippi decides that's the compromise, maybe California doesn't. Let the states decide.

edit on 27-1-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

This issue is about compromise, not majority rule.

Every woman knows it and if they claim they don't, I suspect they are in the minority.

No side is getting their most extreme way on this issue. We have to compromise.

From the data it looks like there is common ground on abortion up to 12 weeks, which may well fit well with the most recent proposals to limit abortion to the moment a fetus can experience pain.

Maybe Mississippi decides that the compromise, maybe California doesn't. Let the states decide.

Sounds sensible.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

*high five for compromise*

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

ya sounds halfway resonable till you consider how many heartbeat bills are in the state legislators or governors offices and realize that many women wouldn't even know they are pregnant at that point, or how in one state, a women could by dying if she doesn't have an abortion, and she'd be legally required to track down her husband for permission to get the abortion...

then the reasonableness fades away..

edit on 27-1-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

What do you suggest people do who feel their rights are being diminished?

Not only women, but the poor, the medically fragile, Blacks, Hispanics, those in low-rated schools, and other groups who are feeling threatened by this administration?

(Other than voting. We did that, and most of our votes were reflected in the popular vote count.)

What suggestions do you have for women, and other group's voices to be heard strongly?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

ya sounds halfway resonable till you consider how many heartbeat bills are in the state legislators or governors offices and realize that many women wouldn't even know they are pregnant at that point, or how in one state, a women could by dying if she doesn't have an abortion, and she'd be legally required to track down her husband for permission to get the abortion...

No side going to get their most extreme way on this issue although I see plenty of room for compromise in the reasonable points you made.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

ya sounds halfway resonable till you consider how many heartbeat bills are in the state legislators or governors offices and realize that many women wouldn't even know they are pregnant at that point,

You mean a sexually active woman would be so irresponsible to just assume that the contraception is working at 100% and never check? Not experiencing a period after 5 weeks isn't enough of a hint?

or how in one state, a women could by dying if she doesn't have an abortion, and she'd be legally required to track down her husband for permission to get the abortion...

Oh my gosh, you mean people would have to be responsible about who they engage in sexual activity with?!? Heresy!

'Reason' is a flexible word it seems...

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: Byrd

This was about Americans and their struggle. It wasn't about other countries.

So you agree with Trump and make America First.

Yes and no. I want Americans-the-people taken care of... but I want America-the-nation to be a partner with the rest of the world and not a psychotic father-figure, trying to punish other nations.

My definition of American and yours might not overlap in some places.

I feel...and we all felt... like health care, voting rights, the environment, education, and equal access here in America are the most important things to focus on.

Agreed, not sure why it had to be a woman march . I bet most trumpster agree too with those concerns.

But not with the implementation. Conservatives often pit "jobs lost for loggers" and "free grazing range for cattle" against "wild lands to preserve animals and environment."

Trump's pick for Interior Secretary just waffled back from a "protect the lands" stance, and his decision to go ahead with the pipeline in spite of Native American protests (and some of those protesters marched with us at Washington) show we have different ideas on how to approach this.

However, than why was the Womens March part needed or the timing?

Because of statements Trump made on the campaign trail and his choices to fill various Presidential appointee positions and his "draining the swamp and filling it with plutocrats on golden boats." Oh yes, and on his absent taxes, his reneged promise to divest, etc, etc.

Truthfully, it would have been smaller if he'd promptly divested himself of everything, not brought his kids into the White House, and if he'd made some different choices for his cabinet.
edit on 27-1-2017 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

If people were perfect, and did as they always need to do, there would be no problems, would there?
Humans aren't perfect and to ask that they always be, seems naïve to me.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
You mean a sexually active woman would be so irresponsible to just assume that the contraception is working at 100% and never check? Not experiencing a period after 5 weeks isn't enough of a hint?

(sigh)

I don't want to be unkind and go into a whole "I don't think you know much about women's physiology" but there are a number of reasons why even women on the pill might not get their periods after 4 weeks or (and many of us can raise our hands for this one) get irregular periods/spotting/blood during the time when it's not supposed to happen. And yes, it's even possible to be pregnant and have spotting or what looks like a period during the early phase.

Doctor visits to confirm pregnancy are not cheap - unless you are able to go to Planned Parenthood which is becoming less possible.

However, the best solution is for the man to step up and be proactive in preventing pregnancy. Condoms have the highest rate of prevention without the weird hormonal side effects of the pill.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

What do you suggest people do who feel their rights are being diminished?

Not only women, but the poor, the medically fragile, Blacks, Hispanics, those in low-rated schools, and other groups who are feeling threatened by this administration?

(Other than voting. We did that, and most of our votes were reflected in the popular vote count.)

What suggestions do you have for women, and other group's voices to be heard strongly?

Talk to your representatives.
Or yes, vote. You lost the vote this time, but there are elections in 2018.
If you fail to win the argument, continue to obey the law.
edit on 27/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

No side going to get their most extreme way on this issue although I see plenty of room for compromise in the reasonable points you made.

There's is no need for, or room for compromise. Roe V Wade isn't broken, regardless of your "heart beat" philosophy, and there's no need to "fix" it.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

And if that's not enough? Talking to representatives is a good idea, but not always effective.
Protests have been a part of our culture and society for many decades. Why do you not perceive it to be a viable action for voices to be heard?

We have that freedom. Why not use it.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

There's is no need for, or room for compromise. Roe V Wade isn't broken, regardless of your "heart beat" philosophy, and there's no need to "fix" it.

Some disagree. Including the majority party in your govt.
Actually, according to the latest data, the majority of women disagree with abortions beyond 12 weeks.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

And if that's not enough? Talking to representatives is a good idea, but not always effective.
Protests have been a part of our culture and society for many decades. Why do you not perceive it to be a viable action for voices to be heard?

We have that freedom. Why not use it.

Nothing wrong with protests at all. My only thought about the last one would be to drop the celebs, they hindered rather than helped.
But protest or not, the best course of action is to adhere to the laws of the land even if they change to something you don't agree with.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

not every women have a regular cycle, it's not uncommon to be a few weeks late, or even miss a month!

Oh my gosh, you mean people would have to be responsible about who they engage in sexual activity with?!? Heresy!

oh, my gosh, maybe we should just make a law that husbands can't go out of town on business meetings in the latter stages of preganacies!! this is the law I am talking about... as it was written by the old wise men of the South Carolina legislature..

In the third trimester when necessary to preserve the life or health of the pregnant woman on the written recommendation of two doctors, and if the basis is mental health then both the two doctors and a consulting psychiatrist must agree in writing the abortion is necessary

Note this law says the husband’s consent is required in the third trimester, but spousal consent was found unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1976 and that can’t be enforced

so, let's see, first, a third trimester abortion is not allowed unless the women has the recommendation of two doctors, three if it is based on a mental health issue.. that it's necessary to preserve the life or health of the women...
but the, the wisemen of the south carolina legislature, seems to think that this women, who's life or health is in jeopardy, or her doctors if she is in bad enough shape to act on her own behalf, should have to screw around, get her husband back home from wherever he might be, which might take a day or two depending on where he is, and ask him nicely if she has his permission to be healthy and living!!

that part of the law is unenforceable at the present times because of a supreme court decision. but, take the authority of the federal branch out of the equation, I kind of think that is how the law would stand...

now you want to try again preferably without casting women as irresponsible, unable to keep their legs together???

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I usually do. (Obey the laws) I just don't want a bunch of busy-bodies trying to determine what's best for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join