It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a dumbing down of music

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Maroboduus

Listening to death metal = not getting laid.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: KaDeCo
a reply to: supermilkman

Hello OP!

I do think 'popular' music is boiled down and dumbed down for the masses, but classical just has changed venues:

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die for a noble cause. The mark of the mature man is that he lives humbly for one." - J.D. Salinger.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: banjobrain

Mankind has fallen very far from it's creative heights, and being a life long musician, and at times a professional musician,
it seems to be very true. For me it is hard to tell what causes this decline, especially with music. Part of me thinks it is the way the world is now, loud, chaotic and busy. I think the world is no longer conducive to the kind of study and practice that it takes to sit down and formulate the kind of works that used to be common place. The amount of distraction that is the modern life takes us away from the harmony in the world, and who can find such harmony in a mind addled with dissonant
interjections at every turn? I think the lose of music is a lose of humanity and a sign of the world we have forged to build overflowing with wealth and piss poor in substance.

The difference between the first piece and Skrillex is beyond farcical and in those terms it is hard to consider the later to be the same art form.

Yes, society has become a cesspool. For the good there is in the world it's overshadowed by dissonance.
edit on 15-1-2017 by supermilkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

That's talent. Not your dime-a-dozen power chord, palm muting wannabe's.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

Scale the Summit was alright. Honestly a little burned out on progressive metal. After a while it sounds souless.

I've been getting into Catholic hymns lately. For me the music speaks to soul.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: LuXTeN

Funny.. my pc is messed up right now to the point where I can't view video's but I can hear them.

You need some good music, the crap you've been listening to has warped your brain, which is why you're questioning it. If it sounds like crap, it's definately crap.

Instead of complaining about crap, stop listening to it. End of problem.

Yes, I'll listen to Adagio in G minor while everybody else listens to toilet music.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: supermilkman

originally posted by: BlackProject

Music may seem to not conform because artists wish to try and create something new and different. The more and more new artists come about, the more they try to push what may have not been done yet. Also music creation is becoming much easier to achieve now with software and synths, so overall music is being created on mass instead of only a few artists bringing out music once in a while.

Well if anyone aspires to be a musician they should learn the classics first.

Even Randy Rhoads understood classical order

Totally understand that classical music should be appreciated hence the reason I appreciate the genius behind such music. Randy Rhoads was trained classically to play the guitar and many other instruments, so of course he would understand classical order and chords. (on a side note, I absolutely love Randy Rhoads and this track you posted. I used to listen to it all the time.)

Still most people will not want to copy any kind of order, some of the best music in history did not abide to those hard rules. Many of Pink Floyd's music did not attain to those rules. Look at how famous they became.
edit on 15-1-2017 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

It's called a filter. You don't want viruses on your computer right? Well there is some music that is pure garbage.

Don't mix peas with your porridge.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

First of all I don't eat Peas or Porridge so I Win!

Next...

Your Brain and Intellect IS Your Filter.

If you break that, good f'ing luck!

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

lol... Ok I''ll hold you to it, the maf ia will be watching, and if you listen to toilet music even once, your as* is grass.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

Mafia is a buzzword that will put you on a government watchlist.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

Pink Floyd's Final Cut and The Wall is full of orchestral music.

Final Cut album

The Wall

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Music is intensely personal.
What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.
I like Wagner, lots of people don't.

As for rock (and by extension, all folk/blues derived music) being somehow dumb. That misses the point entirely.
There can be every bit of brilliance in composing a simple, meaningful tune for a couple of instruments and one voice as there can be for a whole symphony orchestra and huge chorus.

Just by way of illustration, I leave you with this.

Tony Iommi.
Created this -

Then this -

Honestly wasn't impressed with the first solo. It was just a bunch of pentatonic runs.

I did like the choir in the second video though. The guitar playing was also more melodic.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 711117

If you repeat a lie you can get anyone to believe it - The Big Lie

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: supermilkman

originally posted by: LuXTeN

Funny.. my pc is messed up right now to the point where I can't view video's but I can hear them.

You need some good music, the crap you've been listening to has warped your brain, which is why you're questioning it. If it sounds like crap, it's definately crap.

Instead of complaining about crap, stop listening to it. End of problem.

Yes, I'll listen to Adagio in G minor while everybody else listens to toilet music.

Dumbing down for whom?

How about Cm?

Switched-On Bach?

Jethro Tull?

Yanni?

The Clash? Bjork?

I don't know where you are going with this.

Is it the instruments, the production, the visuals, the pomp?

It's like you're saying people are dumbing down beer and wine because they deviate from the original 5000 yo recipe.

Rock n Roll will never die, btw.

And you are not even touching the whole human cataloge.

Music was meant to move the spirit, emotion, the brain.

"listen to them, children of the night, such music they make"

Night or day, there is truth in that statement. We owe them. Nothing we create is out of a vacuum.

Classical music is pretty much a non issue in the whole of human music.

They stand on the shoulders of giants as much as Elvis and Robert Johnson.

And no computer has written a hit song.

The only genre I don't care for is rap. Rap is not about the music, imo.

I just don't care for it but it makes them money.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Thanks...RIP nice musos

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: grayghost

Electrified washing board - I love what instruments people invent - human ingenuity

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
My bro in law is a producer, and he says that TECHNICALLY music has gotten a lot worse. Producers are taking short cuts and expecting them to be fixed by computerized software.

He says that music up to about the early 90's was technically proficient, after that, computerization caused laziness.

And it's not just music that's being dumbed down - the entire population is genuinely getting stupider. Stuff that most people would have been able to figure out 10-15 yrs ago now absolutely stumps people. There is no common sense any more, and no consideration for anyone but the "me generation".

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Maroboduus wrote

You bemoan people's biases, then turn around and project your arbitrary standards (which are based on your own bias) onto everybody else, as if you yourself dictate the terms of artistic validity.

then you dismissed it all by

Listening to death metal = not getting laid.

Do you need to get laid...or are you just trolling. You're starting to sound like you're creating some neo-classical
Kim Jong-un Scientolgy cult with you as dictator. Listen to some Prog and chill

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Suggestive dance and prostitution have been around since human creation. So have musicians.

There are people who choose to find decay in things and keep their mind closed, and there are people who choose to find quality in things and find a way to use them. Your choice.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join