It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a dumbing down of music

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Let's not forget Africa.

West africa.

I just like music.

Adam Sandler is cool.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: supermilkman

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: supermilkman

OP You need to sample some progressive rock. Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Deep Purple, some Frank Zappa even. These bands actually incorporated orchestras into their performances. Pink Floyd's the Wall is a story in itself.

But you bring up modern acts. Well for that I direct you to an American Prog rock band of sorts. Umphrey's McGee:

These guys are all equally talented and use complicated hand signals on stage to signal key changes to continue jamming so perfectly.
They also do some damn good covers

Saying that music is getting worse these days is just indicative of a lack of trying for looking. You don't have to like what is popular, but people are ALWAYS making good music.

ETA: I challenge you to listen to that whole 12 minute live song I posted there and try to tell me that isn't great musicianship.

Those are all good musicians. In fact Pink Floyd's Final Cut is full of orchestral music.

Classical order music is the end result of musical mastery.

Just about anyone can play Smells Like Teen Spirit. Not too many people can write the Wall (which has classical elements and orchestras.)

That was the whole point of my thread: it's about classical order music. Modern day musicians can still play classical order music but much of your popular musicians are not even talented. In fact, many of them on the radio don't write their own songs, they have ghost writers.

But my point was that there is more music being written than just what is on the radio. Unless you listen to Sirius and have the Jam On station, you wouldn't hear Umphrey's McGee on the radio for one. There is plenty of good music out there. It is being written all the time. You don't have to just pay attention to what is popular. If you don't like that music, it's fine. Just expend some effort and you'll find music that fits your tastes.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: supermilkman

I think it is forgotten by many but BAD music exists during all time eras. We only remember the good stuff. But for how much the OP is waxing poetic about classical music, there is JUST as much crap from the Baroque and Classical periods as there is today.

Of course bad music has always exist. The thing is bad music wasn't popular, it was squashed.

Nowadays you have garbage being put on the radio waves.

I thought you flush feces down a toilet, not put it on a platter?

Not true either. Pop music has always been inundated with the cheese that is just there to cash in and make a buck. This includes operas and classical pieces as well. This is why it takes a good musician/artist to die before they achieve music god status. Their stuff is largely overlooked while they are alive.

Think of it like this. Humans' ears haven't changed much in the few hundred years separating between us and the height of classical music. We are still entertained by the simple stuff. Plus the really GOOD classical music tended to be for the ears of the elite. What do you think the commoners sang and played? Folk music. Simple stuff.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Music.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Hilarious.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Night or day, there is truth in that statement. We owe them. Nothing we create is out of a vacuum.

Classical music is pretty much a non issue in the whole of human music.

They stand on the shoulders of giants as much as Elvis and Robert Johnson.

And no computer has written a hit song.

The only genre I don't care for is rap. Rap is not about the music, imo.

I just don't care for it but it makes them money.

I agree with most of what you said except for the bit about rap. There is some GOOD rap/hip-hop out there, and when you hear it you understand its art. Also, you have to understand that rap at its core is just saying poetry with a beat.

Actually, I could go all day with Eminem. The man has a mastery with the English language.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Just because.

or

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Night or day, there is truth in that statement. We owe them. Nothing we create is out of a vacuum.

Classical music is pretty much a non issue in the whole of human music.

They stand on the shoulders of giants as much as Elvis and Robert Johnson.

And no computer has written a hit song.

The only genre I don't care for is rap. Rap is not about the music, imo.

I just don't care for it but it makes them money.

I agree with most of what you said except for the bit about rap. There is some GOOD rap/hip-hop out there, and when you hear it you understand its art. Also, you have to understand that rap at its core is just saying poetry with a beat.

Actually, I could go all day with Eminem. The man has a mastery with the English language.

I'll give you that and I concede it's a force and money maker.

I also confess I don't listen to it.

I like this tho.

I'm old school and expect people to play.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

I feel you on that. I also like a good instrumental more so than spoken words or lyrics, but music is also about telling a story or relating a message in a meaningful way. Which is something that rap does well. Well good rap that is. If you are just grunting into a microphone and using auto-tuner to fix your bad tone then you aren't making music.

Speaking of instrumentals:

edit on 16-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yeah, good bands.

Trey is good, not a Jerry, but good.

So much good music, just have to shut off the radio.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Smart: youtu.be...

I don't want to insult anyone, so I'll leave what I think is dumb to your imagination.
edit on 16-1-2017 by anotherside because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: anotherside
Smart: youtu.be...

I don't want to insult anyone, so I'll leave what I think is dumb to your imagination.

Lizard King is fine even with some shiny new mix and smoke.

Here is power.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
A well written and played song will last.

A thousand years of music.

Celtic stuff.

Don't make me link my own stuff.

It's all pop.

It started without BS. Now here we are.

edit on 1 16 2017 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Yea, but not all radio music is bad. They throw some good stuff on there as well.

And let's not forget about the King of Pop.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Thank..never heard of the String Cheese Incident...Heres one of my favourite group of synthesists who often get together and just create

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Yup,

Nina is a fav of mine.

We could do this all night

It's pop.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: anotherside

How can I have forgotten Dead Can Dance with the voice of Brendan Perry

This takes me to another place..........

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

That is a cool, trippy song! You close your eyes and listen and it feels like you are gliding through a glade in the forest. Possibly early morning with the morning chill and all is still. The sun is just starting to peer over the horizon. Very calming.

I see your synthesizers and raise you three of the best bassists in the industry Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten. Also known as S.M.V.

edit on 16-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

The original version of also spracht Zarathustra they used in 2001 a space Odyssey was quite long.

This morning there was a Phil Collins video in my you tube play list I hadn't seen before.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join