It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a dumbing down of music

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: supermilkman

Hello OP!

I do think 'popular' music is boiled down and dumbed down for the masses, but classical just has changed venues:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maroboduus

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

When you buy because of your emotions or bias, that does not justify the mortality or the talent of the production. It justifies the creator's decision to make money. That's all.

Don't be dense.
Ignoring the fact that you dont seem to know what mortality means...
If somebody buys music they like, then it DOES justify that artistic input, and the talent of the person who produced it. They made something that somebody else enjoyed enough to buy. They created something that people like, and that brings them joy. Whether or not you personally like it has no bearing on whether it's valid art, or "justified." As if art has to somehow be justified in the first place. That very idea is ridiculous. If people like it enough to buy it, then they have obviously created something worthwhile.

Also, your comment about it needing to improve somebody's life, then saying that just making them feel good doesn't constitute improving their life: that is completely nonsensical and moronic. In what way does music have to improve somebody's life in order to meet your ridiculous standards of validity, if not improving their emotional state? That's an absurd notion. What would you like the music to do? Save them from a buring building? Magically get them a nice house? I mean.... did you even think before you typed that? In what way could music improve someone's life aside from improving their mental and emotional state? Which is, you know... a way of improving somebody's life.
And your completely arbitrary standards for what makes music "justified" are ridiculous as a whole, anyways. It's legacy of usefulness? Tastes change. Styles change. Things get lost to time for various reasons. That doesn't mean that they are any less artistically valid.
You bemoan people's biases, then turn around and project your arbitrary standards (which are based on your own bias) onto everybody else, as if you yourself dictate the terms of artistic validity.

Your reading comprehension is lacking friend.

I was not only speaking concerning music, but art as a whole.

I did say music is one art form and that its purpose is to inspire and recall emotion.

You're lagging.

But there are standards.

History provides us with proof of validity. That which is valid withstands the test of time. That which is not fades away.

For you, since I perceive a sense of how you believe, I have the perfect analogy.

Creation. Was it God or inevitable materialism?

Both ideas have existed forever, but one will stand the test of time.

One is the truth, and the other is an artful fantasy.

Yet there are zealots on both sides.

They are not both valid because the ideas are diametrically opposed.

Yet both ideas profit the proponents a lot, and people will pay to hear one or the other.

In this same way, art is validated. Music is validated.

It's not the money. It's the truth that stands the test of time.

Every single professional worth their salt will tell you to write, not only a hit, but a legacy, if you want to really want to do well.

Everybody knows Pink Floyd, Money. Everybody knows Bon Jovi, It's My Life. Everybody knows Elvis, You Ain't Nothing But A Hound Dog. Everybody knows Johnny Cash, Ring of Fire. Everybody knows the names Beethoven and Bach. Everybody knows the song, "Happy Birthday". Michael Jackson, Thriller. Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy. Oops, I Did It Again. Better Man. Yellow Submarine. Stairway to Heaven. Layla. Man in the Box. Summer of '69. Crazy Train. FREEBIRD.

Hallelujah.

One of the most famous songs ever written, and the word means, "Praise the God of Israel". And so many people sing that song having no idea what that word means, but do people love that song!

The kind of people that tell me that art is subjective, or in the eyes and ears of the beholder, make me laugh.

For money, you're right. For Legacy, not even close.

And real emotion is a recall. That's music.

That's inspiration.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 4003fireglo

Hey cool, that

memories...good ol 70's

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Really?
I love the Belew, Levin, Brueford and of course Fripp lineup..really I love the sounds and textures Belew could create..he taught Zappa stuff
edit on 13-1-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Hell Fire & Damnation
Nice

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Cool

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Really?
I love the Belew, Levin, Brueford and of course Fripp lineup..really I love the sounds and textures Belew could create..he taught Zappa stuff

I LOVE Belew. Met him on the Thrak tour in Cincinnati. Nice guy. Bruford was great, too. Fripp was nowhere. Levin... Was just a jerk with a Stick up his bum.

Stick. See what i did there? See? Stick? Huh? Ya? Ya? Ya?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Now you show your idiocy yet again...stick to songs about buildings & food

All we are is Talking Heads

or Heads Maxed out

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Not my cup of tea

This is

www.hrgiger.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
A melody that invokes memories, especially if you grew up in the 60's and 70's.
Timeless.
Whiter Shade of Pale - Organ part
edit on 13-1-2017 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

So true - the wealth of countless lives & toil concentrated in the hands of the Puppet Masters

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

general term music jumped the shark when rap was accepted as a type of music.

well I can see that music is used to express frustration at a system that "controls" the conversation; however its devolved to glorifying violence against women, gangsta "lifestyle" and hate in general

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

People that are "free" are often flakey.

You're free to denigrate anything that doesn't fit into your own worldview...what does that say about hour flakeyness?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

ETA: I challenge you to listen to that whole 12 minute live song I posted there and try to tell me that isn't great musicianship.

Thanks...but I don't think he'll get it

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Haha,
very cool you got to meet Belew..too bad about Levin, I do enjoy what he added to that lineup.
Here is a favorite from that era

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Some of the best songs in the world are surprisingly simple and shallow. That is because music isn't a game of bests. It's just what is pleasant and entertaining to your ears.

Exactly...who can deny the pleasure of watching their child open up presents with this being sung

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Mankind has fallen very far from it's creative heights, and being a life long musician, and at times a professional musician,
it seems to be very true. For me it is hard to tell what causes this decline, especially with music. Part of me thinks it is the way the world is now, loud, chaotic and busy. I think the world is no longer conducive to the kind of study and practice that it takes to sit down and formulate the kind of works that used to be common place. The amount of distraction that is the modern life takes us away from the harmony in the world, and who can find such harmony in a mind addled with dissonant
interjections at every turn? I think the lose of music is a lose of humanity and a sign of the world we have forged to build overflowing with wealth and piss poor in substance.

The difference between the first piece and Skrillex is beyond farcical and in those terms it is hard to consider the later to be the same art form.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: mast3rshake2049

and dont give me this "oh but the computer does all the work and you press a couple of buttons." composing a song on the computer is the exact same as composing a song on a piano

So true, I kept calling him out on the fact that his classical music relies on processing and "effect" before being pressed to Cd.
Thanks for this BTW

" The Encounter" , who would have guessed you only used ableton live 8 with Massive, Sylenth, Kontakt 5, Ozone

So much Jarre, Vangelis influence and yet uniquely original! I like how you go with a simple sine wave into piano at 2:14 whilst keeping the tension up with the cello strings!!! Thank you.
I definitely have to make space for another PC and get rid of 2 keyboards!!

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: KaDeCo

Thanks for Ripleys Rescue

bought to mind ELP Pirates

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join