It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House GOP guts ethics panel

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
According to Rogers and Flores, members have been using the anonymous accusations in an unethical fashion, falsely accusing their peers.

Certainly in that case you must have multiple examples of where members of congress were unfairly smeared or accused?

Can you provide one?

ALSO...How outright corrupt does this move have to be when the indisputably conservative and partisan JUDICIAL WATCH calls it a corrupt action by the GOP?

Judicial Watch Calls Upon House to Retain Congressional Ethics Office
twitter.com...

can't wait for that first congressional intern to claim sexual harassment, or even rape.....anyone who has kids (young adults) working there better have mace and a taser on them at all times....that will be the only justice they will have.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I think the rest of us see it as self preservation. They saw how well gossip and lies destroyed Hillary Clinton's reputation.

Yep! That's exactly it!

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

edit on 3-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I think the rest of us see it as self preservation. They saw how well gossip and lies destroyed Hillary Clinton's reputation.

You might very well be right. All the more reason to drain the swamp.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

a reply to: Indigo5

Like I said, the arguments of the GOP haven't been addressed nor rebutted

By you...as you have provided nothing more than people saying stuff...I just addressed those arguments...while you have not.

Again...Can you provide an example where the Congressional Ethics Office unjustly smeared or accused a member of congress?

Because I can easily cite examples of where they successfully uncovered corruption...most recently..

Former Illinois congressman with ‘Downton Abbey’ office is indicted

Schock was charged in a 24-count indictment with wire fraud, mail fraud, theft of government funds, making false statements and filing false documents. The 52-page document spells out a broad array of misdeeds spanning 2008 to 2015.

www.washingtonpost.com... term=.a5aef276f643

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

According to Rogers and Flores, members have been using the anonymous accusations in an unethical fashion, falsely accusing their peers.

Certainly in that case you must have multiple examples of where members of congress were unfairly smeared or accused?

Can you provide one?

ALSO...How outright corrupt does this move have to be when the indisputably conservative and partisan JUDICIAL WATCH calls it a corrupt action by the GOP?

twitter.com...

can't wait for that first congressional intern to claim sexual harassment, or even rape.....anyone who has kids (young adults) working there better have mace and a taser on them at all times....that will be the only justice they will have.

Personal justice is usually the onky kind that exists. I prefer the life well lived method. Like ever time I get angry at little democrats on the internet I take a breath and think of the fact that democrat is statistically likely to be poor gay or a minority or some combination. Feel better already.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Can you provide one?

twitter.com...

Seeing as one of the many scandals that was the impetus for creating this independent office that the GOP is eliminating was the Mark Foley scandal where the fiercely conservative House Member was groping teen-age boys who worked for him...You worry is not unfounded.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

By you...as you have provided nothing more than people saying stuff...I just addressed those arguments...while you have not.

Again...Can you provide an example where the Congressional Ethics Office unjustly smeared or accused a member of congress?

Because I can easily cite examples of where they successfully uncovered corruption...most recently..

Schock was charged in a 24-count indictment with wire fraud, mail fraud, theft of government funds, making false statements and filing false documents. The 52-page document spells out a broad array of misdeeds spanning 2008 to 2015.

You just addressed them, that's right, but only after I called you on it. The fact that you didn't address them until then proves a partisan mentality on your part, or at the very least, an lack of integrity or simply an urge to distribute partisan propaganda. You didn't even mention that Trump criticized the move.

I do not agree with "gutting" the oversight committee, even though complaints can still be made. I will not search for examples of false accusations if the GOP does not provide them.

ETA: in a Washington post article on the subject, they cited Dem representative Mel Watt's investigation, of which he was eventually cleared.
edit on 3-1-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

The Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) is an independent, non-partisan entityText

Yeah right, more likely that it was just another rat infested hole of corruption with the above as the public face.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

The Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) is an independent, non-partisan entityText

Yeah right, more likely that it was just another rat infested hole of corruption with the above as the public face.

leaving aside that this is a claim with no evidence backing it, does this mean you are for taking away this supposed veneer and just letting it be a "rat infested hole of corruption" publicly and privately?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

You just addressed them, that's right, but only after I called you on it. The fact that you didn't address them until then proves a partisan mentality on your part

Explaining that it is the GOP who have the majority and are eliminating this office is not "partisan mentality"...It is factual.

Dismissing that as "partisan" is ..well...partisan.

I also cited the conservative Judicial Watch who also is opposed to the GOP gutting this office...Was I now conservatively partisan for citing them?

I did not provide the excuses that the GOP who are eliminating this office offered, because they had no substance...which you seem to agree with despite entering those excuses into the debate.

I am not sure you understand what "partisan" means...

You sure do know how to muddy waters though when you would rather not discuss the substance..
edit on 3-1-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

You used it as a platform to criticize, as Pelosi did, the incoming administration, and a trail of posters followed suit. That's my only gripe. Yes, partisan because you failed to mention that Trump and GOP leaders also opposed the move, yet used the soapbox to bash a conservative congress, at least until you found out conservatives also opposed to move.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

You didn't even mention that Trump criticized the move.

An hour ago..Trump tweeted about it an hour ago...and another poster in thread added it to the debate...he only criticized the move in the context of "other priorities"...far from a condemnation.

The idea that I left that out of the OP is refuted by the reality of time itself.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't satire

edit on 1/3/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: to remind me what reminded me

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

yet used the soapbox to bash a conservative congress, at least until you found out conservatives also opposed to move.

How else to explain the change being passed via secret ballot by a large majority of conservatives?

Shall I explain that the vote was not unanimous? They rarely are...It makes it no less true that the incoming conservative congress voted to gut the independent office of ethical oversight.

Wonder why the vote and debate was not public and done via secret ballot?...Ironic..gutting an office dedicated to transparency via a secret vote.
edit on 3-1-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoeNutter

Can you provide one?

twitter.com...

Personal justice is usually the onky kind that exists. I prefer the life well lived method. Like ever time I get angry at little democrats on the internet I take a breath and think of the fact that democrat is statistically likely to be poor gay or a minority or some combination. Feel better already.

you feel better already?....screwing over poor and gay people makes you feel better?.....do you work for Putin, sounds like you do.....don't you have a dog to go kick, or a wife to go beat up?....maybe you can start handing out poison hamburgers to homeless people...that should make you feel really great!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: xuenchen

Down with ETHICS!!! That damn Pelosi caring about ethics. There's one in every barrel. Usually a democrat.

Like help pushing a law down our throats of which we can only read the details once it has been signed and put in effect, those kind of ethics?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't satire

I sometimes indulge myself pretending it is satire...sometimes digesting absurd corruption requires a good sprinkling of laughter..it cuts some of the rotting flavor.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Trump can't drain the congress swamp. Only voters can do that. They had their chance this past election and voted for the same republicans.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I console myself with thinking about what great fun this will be now that journalism has found its collective balls again

Or, at least til they've all been rounded up and sent to Siberia

:-)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoeNutter

Can you provide one?

twitter.com...

you feel better already?....screwing over poor and gay people makes you feel better?.....do you work for Putin, sounds like you do.....don't you have a dog to go kick, or a wife to go beat up?....maybe you can start handing out poison hamburgers to homeless people...that should make you feel really great!!!

The combination of schadenfreude personal success and making America great again is an intoxicating musk. And no I love my family and dog, I hate democrats.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join